BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
loudenvier
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2006/2007 BMW 130i M

Shouldn't my E87 130i have bluetooth available?

I'm reading a lot of topics on retrofiting the bluetooth module on a 1 series BMW, specifically a E87 pre-LCI 130i. Today I went to the car to check on the trunk and I've found I already have a MULF, which comes to no surprise after I've checked my vin for my car options:

S644A Preparation f mobile phone w Bluetooth
S645A BMW US Radio
S663A Radio BMW Professional
S672A CD changer for 6 CDs
S676A HiFi speaker system

But the problem is that I can't pair my bluetooth phone. Even though the BC will show the TEL (phone) option, it seems inert. Here are some pics from my trunk with the MULF module (made in spain, by the label :-) ) and the BC:

I've tried to hold the "phone" button on the extreme right of the head unit, and search for bluetooth phones to no avail. I've tried to access the CB buttons bellow the "TEL" option and nothing happens. I didn't try to keep holding this button while searching for bluetooth devices on my Moto X...

Is there any procedure I'm missing, or do I need extra hardware for my Bluetooth to work? I know that I have a mic (near the sunroof controls).

Is the unit defective? I didn't find any errors using TORQUE PRO or BMWhat with a ELM327 OBDII clone. My CD Changer is not working properly tough, but it seems unrelated to the MULF.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:59 AM   #2
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Similar to mine, my MULF is dead. Common issue- they can be repaired.
Check the connection to the unit, chances are if the cable has the red signal from the head unit and the MULF isn't working, the MULF is the issue. If the red light isn't on in the cable, [from memory!] the cable or deck is at fault.

My changer is also dead as it has a dependancy on the MULF- according to the forums.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
loudenvier
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Similar to mine, my MULF is dead. Common issue- they can be repaired.
Check the connection to the unit, chances are if the cable has the red signal from the head unit and the MULF isn't working, the MULF is the issue. If the red light isn't on in the cable, [from memory!] the cable or deck is at fault.

My changer is also dead as it has a dependancy on the MULF- according to the forums.
Which red light? Should some light be on on the MULF? Or on any of the cables? Could you try to describe to me using the picture form my trunk, which cable should I look for? I'm very sorry I'm this dummy on this issues...

Since I live in Brazil, and we have only 1 BMW dealership here in Rio de Janeiro, fixing the MULF will probably won't be an option. They'll certainly try to sell me a new one, for probably U$ 5000... (I'm not kidding)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudenvier View Post
Which red light? Should some light be on on the MULF? Or on any of the cables? Could you try to describe to me using the picture form my trunk, which cable should I look for? I'm very sorry I'm this dummy on this issues...

Since I live in Brazil, and we have only 1 BMW dealership here in Rio de Janeiro, fixing the MULF will probably won't be an option. They'll certainly try to sell me a new one, for probably U$ 5000... (I'm not kidding)
To be honest, i can't remember which line it was- I played with it over a year ago, best to dive in and take a look.

In Australia there is a guy who can repair the MULF for $AUD400 and will ship it at your cost. I'm getting mine done in the next couple of weeks.

Repair: http://www.bmwbluetooth.com.au

Teardown: https://www.alexwhittemore.com/more-...is-bmw-module/
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
loudenvier
Brazil
Rep

Well, I'm not convinced I should have bluetooth anymore. Today I've teared the head unit down to take a look at the wiring. I didn't find a specific write for a mic (but it could be tucked together with the main connector.

Here are the pictures:

Maybe it's all there and I just didn't see it...

After reassembling the radio (which took 1h45min because one screw fell in between the fascia and after a long time I got an old speaker, teared it down, used its magnet attached to a thin wire and finally was able to get the screw out of the dash!!! :-) ), after all that I've used BMWhat and got these errors:

Audio/Nav/Comunicação:
CD-Changer / Wechsler
Fehler: CD changer error unload mechanism
Code: 9D29
Sistemas:
Car Communication Computer CCC
Fehler: Message failure / unknown fault / unknown failure
Code: E18D
Fehler: Message failure
Code: E18F

These codes seems to mean:
1) E18D wake up network unsuccessful
2) E18F MOST ring,set point/actual configuration does not match

Maybe the CD Changer is corrupting the MOST network and preventing some of the other parts of the system to work...

Or maybe the MULF is dying and the CD Changer and Bluetooth are not working because of it...

How can I be sure which part is the problem? The BMW stealership will probably charge me more than U$ 500 for a simple diagnostics here in Brazil!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
From memory the microphones are in the trim near the rear vision mirror, with little slits over them.

For diagnosis, refer my previous comments. For a second opinion, try this- http://bit.ly/1pmDomR
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Red e61 & red F26

The microphone is connected to the MULF, so you won't find it on your head unit. Also, the MOST error codes is probably the reason why the bluetooth won't work. See if you can unconnect the MOST cables on the CD changer and connect them together.

You could alse see if you have the loop-thing under the glove compartment. If this is missing, the modules connected to the MOST won't work.

• A small roadtrip through Scandinavia: movie - pictures
• A small roadtrip in the norwegian fjords: movie
• A small trip to Nürburgring: movie - pictures
Appreciate 0