BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
mtaylor510
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

racing

how to you get started in racing?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor510 View Post
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...S/Default.aspx
      02-01-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
Rx8135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

i raced on my roller blades one time
      02-01-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

What kind of racing do you want to do? If you want to autocross, get started with a local chapter of the SCCA or BMWCCA. If you want to road race (beyond occasional 'track days') start with the SCCA. If it's drag racing, well, the NHRA does have a pretty extensive amateur program.

If you want to just drive your street car at speed on a road course then you want to do the 'High Performance Driving Education', aka, track days. For that, get involved with your local chapter of BMWCCA.

Best bet - start with the BMWCCA - get involved in a local chapter and you can find all sorts of folks who have gone racing and can help you in your quest.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Hugo is right, as usual. BMWCCA and SCCA are the best way to try sanctioned, safe, fun motorsports without investing a ton of money. Both the SCCA and BMWCCA are very active in the DFW area. Go out to some of their events and talk to them, I can tell you they will be very supportive and helpful to a novice.
      02-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Depends what you want to accomplish. I would start by joning the BMW CCA, and checking out what your local chapter has for events. The Lone Star Chapter does do a fairly robust autocross series, as well as Car Control clinics and DE's. Check out their calendar of events on that website. CCA events are usually very safe, adn they don;t put up with idiots making it dangerous for others.

SCCA is more hard-core, and although they have a decent instructor program, I would recommend a less competitive environment, like your local chapter, for both autocross and track events (DEs). SCCA is safe as well. (there are clubs I would never dream of running with...) I would also recommend doing an Advanced Driver Safety School (ADSS) that your local chapters offer as well, that give you basics on car control at the limit. I say "basics" almost tongue-in-cheek, because you'll be learning things that you've never done before in a car, no matter how long you've driven.

Find out what you'd like to do, try a few events, listen and learn as much as you can, and have fun. Once you get better, you can think about club racing, sponsors, dedicated track cars, etc...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:

Highly variable question depending on your goals, budget, age, geographic location, mechanical capabilities and a few other variables I'm not thinking of. (eg marital status!)

Some options not mentioned:

Karting: best way to develop car-control, racecraft, learn the line, and accumulate cheap seat time. Not as inexpensive as people think, and highly dependent on having a local track.

Skip Barber: best way to get extreme high end coaching in real race cars, requiring no more preparation than owning a helmet and having a lot of disposable income.

Track Days: cheapest way to drive a car on a racetrack, variable coaching, sometimes very good, sometimes just plain wrong. For the price of membership in BMW, porsche or Audi clubs you could be on the track in a couple weekends. There are also for-profit track day outfits like PDA.