BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT Alpine White

Comfort access issue

Is this normal? My comfort access system seems to be acting funny. The door only locks/unlocks if the key is right next to the car (really close). If the key is in my left pocket and I reach for the door with my right hand it won't lock/unlock. Same with ignition. The car will often have a message stating the key is not detected if it is in my left pocket while sitting in the driver's seat. This message does not appear if the key is in my right pocket while sitting in the driver's seat. I thought the battery in the key was low, so I replaced it, but there has been no improvement. I haven't had the car too long, so I'm not sure if this is normal. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Definitely not normal. I had a similar problem with the trunk. I would essentially have to touch the car with the pocket I had the key in for the trunk to open. Comfort access seems to have many issues that have not been worked out.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

Mine does the exact samething and it pisses me off its quicker to use buttons to unlock and lock. What i have noticed is if your hands are kind of damp it works better. I have also tried new batts and no change. So i just deal with it. If you take yours in post what they find if anything
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Did you recently get your windows tinted? Ever since I had mine tinted, I have to do a dance for the comfort access to work. Metallic tint messes with the signal. Wish I knew that beforehand. :-\
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Did you recently get your windows tinted? Ever since I had mine tinted, I have to do a dance for the comfort access to work. Metallic tint messes with the signal. Wish I knew that beforehand. :-\
Thats the first thing i had done was window tint if thats the case i will continue to deal with it. I like the look of the tint so its deff staying.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
llowlife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i

If you guys can ascertain if the tint is doing it post whether it was Metallic or Ceramic tint, it may help others before they make a decision
Cobb e30 tune, VRSF DP's, 7"intercooler, Chargepipe w/ Tial BOV, RB PVC, Wavetrac LSD, KN air filter, More suspension upgrades than I can remember. Alpina tranny flash. I am putting the mods here in case I DO forget. Coming soon to a 135i near you, a one off exhaust and a one off oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Traverner
Private
Rep

I've read issues with metallic tint including poor cell phone reception. Luckily I read this before I had my last car tinted and went with ceramic tint. AFAIK, there are no issues with ceramic tint and RF signals.

If that is the cause, that definitely sucks to find out afterwards. Then again, it seems strange that switching from left to right pocket would affect it. If you're in the car, wouldn't the receiver be on the same side of you as the tint. If the door receivers are in the handle, and therefore left versus right pocket makes a difference, your tint isn't in the pathway.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverner View Post
I've read issues with metallic tint including poor cell phone reception. Luckily I read this before I had my last car tinted and went with ceramic tint. AFAIK, there are no issues with ceramic tint and RF signals.

If that is the cause, that definitely sucks to find out afterwards. Then again, it seems strange that switching from left to right pocket would affect it. If you're in the car, wouldn't the receiver be on the same side of you as the tint. If the door receivers are in the handle, and therefore left versus right pocket makes a difference, your tint isn't in the pathway.
It seems a bit more complex than that when analyzing the PDFs on how it works, as there are multiple RF senders/receivers which either poll for a signal or verify/validate the signal match, and they work in conjunction (for security?). I'm guessing the issue is when the interior sender/receiver is trying to validate the signal picked up by the door handles or trunk handle radios. Technology. ;-)

FWIW I have the same issue - I keep my keys in my left pocket, and always have issues with the drivers door unless I turn around when I touch the handle (this is where my little dance comes in). I never have problems with the passenger door. A creature of less habit would just switch pockets, but old habits die hard.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I often have problems with the trunk - it doesn't open unless I lift my leg. Seriously. I feel like a dog taking a pee.
      06-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
GO135i007
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Alpine/Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
I often have problems with the trunk - it doesn't open unless I lift my leg. Seriously. I feel like a dog taking a pee.
Yea, I have the same issues with my comfort access.

Ever try washing the car with the key in your pocket. It will lock and unlock continuously while your washing it. I usually leave my keys inside whenever I wash.
      06-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO135i007 View Post
Yea, I have the same issues with my comfort access.

Ever try washing the car with the key in your pocket. It will lock and unlock continuously while your washing it. I usually leave my keys inside whenever I wash.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:

just leave the windows open and lock the doors.... negates the tint issue all together.. ????? but the handles are antennas, there is also one in the luggage compartment and behind the rear bumper.
      06-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
TJ bmw135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Garage List
2008 135i Vert  [0.00]
Same issue, but no tint yet. Sometimes it is better than others, but i think it has to due more with the weather (humidity) than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Kcyrusm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is DCT

Same issue... Passenger side always works perfectly, driver side sucks... sometimes I have to jiggle my key in my pocket to get it to work which defeats the purpose of the thing. I also get the "no key" message sometimes when sitting in the driver seat.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I have the same issues with the key fob not not being detected even with ceramic tint. I have changed the battery several times and had them "troubleshoot" it at the dealer many time but to no avail. I also have to do the leg lift and be very close for any of the the doors to see the key fob.

It is a very irritating issue that BMW does not seem to want to address, almost like the HPFP.
      06-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I have zero issues with it at all regardless of pocket...
      06-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcyrusm View Post
Same issue... Passenger side always works perfectly, driver side sucks... sometimes I have to jiggle my key in my pocket to get it to work which defeats the purpose of the thing. I also get the "no key" message sometimes when sitting in the driver seat.
count me in for the same issue. weird my wifes new 3 sedan works perfect everytime even with the new tint we just put on
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
Traverner
Private
Rep

For those with issues, I suppose you've tried your other key to make sure beyond the battery, there isn't a faulty key fob?

I don't have the manual nearby, but I wonder if it specifically says what the radius it should recognize is. In that case couldn't you just make your dealer work on it until they figure out the problem? Even if not, it seems pretty unacceptable to me if you rely solely on CA. (and who wouldn't that has it?)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I never liked the idea of "comfort" access for the very reasons and issues you guys are having. I guess I'm old school and like knowing that I can get in my car with a button push on the fob to unlock my doors, and then insert a key/fob and start the car.
When I'm parked I take my key/fob and push a button to lock it up and go on.

Having the fob in my pocket and having the doors lock and unlock as I'm walking around it while washing or waxing would be annoying and a waste of the life cycle of the door lock mechanism.
And not to mention that BMW charges so freaking much for it. But, even if it were only $100 I wouldn't want it.

What's so "comfort-ing" about not having to take your fob out of your pocket? Plus, if you want to roll the windows down before getting into your hot oven car on a hot day, you have to use your fob anyway. Or, can you roll your windows and roof down without using your fob?

For some useful "comfort" or convenience, it would be cool to walk up to the car and push a button on the handle, hold it for a couple seconds and the windows and roof open up before you get in without using the fob. That would have some utility. But you can do that with the regular fob and save yourself $500.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #20
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT Alpine White

Quote:
I suppose you've tried your other key to make sure beyond the battery, there isn't a faulty key fob?
I have tried the other key to see if it was just a faulty key. Turns out the comfort access doesn't even work with the other key even if the key is right next to the handle until I pull on the door handle about 4 times. Then it finally decides to unlock. The ignition doesn't work at all with this key unless it's plugged in.

I have an appointment with the dealer in 2 days. We'll see what they can do. They'll probably just change the battery in the key. By the way, the buttons on both keys work just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
I have zero issues with it at all regardless of pocket...
      06-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #22
SteDevote
Recovered M3 User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i Coupe

Talking

No problems here.
Appreciate 0