BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

N54: Limp mode w/o check-engine light?

At a recent autocross, my car seemingly went into limp mode. But no reduced-engine-power, check-engine or service-engine-soon light came on. Symptoms were severely reduced power and the car would no longer rev very happily.

This happened after 4 continuous (circuit), hard laps, parking the car briefly (1-2 mins) and then firing it up again for another lap. The car did not complete the lap because of the reduced power.

Oil temps seemed to peak around 260f-265f. I can check the log later if necessary.

My questions:

1. Does this sound like limp mode to you or point to a different problem?

2. Would reducing the oil temps (i.e. getting an oil cooler) prevent this problem?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Yes it does sound like a limp mode and just because the dash showed nothing really does not mean it was not in limp mode. I have had this happen to me before and that was on a cool night with a short blast through 4th. No CES light or anything, but there was still a code for a misfire in cylinder 4. If it is running fine now just try to get it to do it again and maybe it will toss a light then take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0