BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Warning - Not referring to DCT Dual Clutch Transmission!

Dual Disk as in two clutch disks like race cars have, sometimes two or three disks!

If you read the specs on BMWs website, they say the 1M has a heavy duty dual disk clutch. If you look on REALOEM.COM, the just show a drawing with one disk. I understand most BMWs use a dual mass flywheel but to me that is different than a dual disk clutch. Anyone know for sure? Is the 1M really usuing a two disk clutch setup?

Here is the exact quote form BMW Website:
( http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...s/default.aspx )

"6-speed manual transmission with cooling circuit and heavy-duty dual-disc clutch"

Final Word - 1M has Single-Disk Clutch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I have final word on this. While on my ED I visited ///M Design Center in Garching and brought up the question since the website specs list a "heavy-duty dual-disk clutch. The website is wrong, the 1M has a single-disk clutch!

Not sure if they will change the website, but this was direct from a BMW ///M Source.

Last edited by nachob; 08-27-2011 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Answer to original question
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

This is for any idiot who thinks this is a DCT thread.

It isnt, it's about a twin disk clutch, that is something entirely different than a DCT

Sorry OP, saving you some hassel for that one, there are some really stupid people and haters on this forum.

And I haven't read anything saying other than what's spec on the 135's transmission, ie a normal single plate clutch.

Maybe something got lost in translation? Like somebody said dual mass flywheel in German and when translated it got changed by accident?

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
This is for any idiot who thinks this is a DCT thread.

It isnt, it's about a twin disk clutch, that is something entirely different than a DCT

Sorry OP, saving you some hassel for that one, there are some really stupid people and haters on this forum.

And I haven't read anything saying other than what's spec on the 135's transmission, ie a normal single plate clutch.

Maybe something got lost in translation? Like somebody said dual mass flywheel in German and when translated it got changed by accident?
Thanks for the heads up, I added a warning to keep the Automatic guys from getting confused.

Also REALOEM lists quantity 1 for clutch disk. I wonder if the marketing guys are confusing dual mass flywheel with dual disc?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

Also REALOEM lists quantity 1 for clutch disk. I wonder if the marketing guys are confusing dual mass flywheel with dual disc?
That's possible aswell. In the end I'd say it's a typo, I really can't imagine a need for a twin disk in a street car anyway.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Warning - Not referring to DCT Dual Clutch Transmission!

Dual Disk as in two clutch disks like race cars have, sometimes two or three disks!

If you read the specs on BMWs website, they say the 1M has a heavy duty dual disk clutch. If you look on REALOEM.COM, the just show a drawing with one disk. I understand most BMWs use a dual mass flywheel but to me that is different than a dual disk clutch. Anyone know for sure? Is the 1M really usuing a two disk clutch setup?

Here is the exact quote form BMW Website:
( http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...s/default.aspx )

"6-speed manual transmission with cooling circuit and heavy-duty dual-disc clutch"
n00b! 1M does not have DCT! It's manual only!!

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Last edited by b33g33; 07-11-2011 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
n00b! 1M does not have DCT! It's manual only!!

Nothing Noob here mate, read the thing before posting please.

The I even tried to make it idiot proof by posting the warning about this not being about the DCT!

We are talking about old school multiple clutch disk applications in manual transmission cars. BWM lists this as a dual disc clutch.

For example the Shelby GT500 with 500 HP has a dual disk clutch. The IMSA GTP cars I worked on had 3 disks, and so on. I hope that makes sense, if not I will try to find some pictures and add them.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

not dual mass ...? as in the flywheel ? but multiple disc clutch? Sounds rather extreme ....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:

The I even tried to make it idiot proof by posting the warning about this not being about the DCT!

We are talking about old school multiple clutch disk applications in manual transmission cars. BWM lists this as a dual disc clutch.

For example the Shelby GT500 with 500 HP has a dual disk clutch. The IMSA GTP cars I worked on had 3 disks, and so on. I hope that makes sense, if not I will try to find some pictures and add them.
Alright ... my attempt at humor was obviously unsuccessful. Don't get mad, I was just making a little joke.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

I was under the impression it was a twin disc based on the BMW website...I really hope it is. This gives smoother high rpm shifting and better life/holding power for a high torque motor such as this one. I had to upgrade to a twin disc Exedy HD clutch on my last car and while the pedal feel was quite a bit heavier than a standard single disc organic it was still much better to drive. I would say the pedal of the 1M is about 75% lighter than I experience with the other twin (then again it was rated to hold much more power).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
I have had a twin disk clutch in my SRT... pretty common in built up street cars, the ones that I know of anyways.

Interesting to know if there is one in the 1 Series M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

What a noob... next he is gonna say he wants blue and a sunroof for that San Diego sun
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
What a noob... next he is gonna say he wants blue and a sunroof for that San Diego sun

There's BLUE ONE... where where...Interlagos? LOL
: )
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry mate, thought you were serious...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
I have had a twin disk clutch in my SRT... pretty common in built up street cars, the ones that I know of anyways.

Interesting to know if there is one in the 1 Series M Coupe.
fairly common in real high performance cars. I think 1M warrants it and I would love it to be true, just don't think so. Anyone know for sure out there?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
not dual mass ...? as in the flywheel ? but multiple disc clutch? Sounds rather extreme ....
Most of our cars have dual mass flywheels.

http://moodle.student.cnwl.ac.uk/moo...flywheels.html

Just wondering if some bookworm in marketing confused dual mass flywheel with dual disk? With the amount of torque the 1M has and the giant rubber, a dual-disk clutch is not that extreme, but at this point just trying to find out if that's what they have?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP - I thnk this might be slotted in the M = marketing dept...

Just like they said the 1M has a special dry sump lubrication... and we now know the 1M has teh exact same trans as the 2012 135i's do... I suspect this dual friction clutch disc is M BS.

Every clutch disc has two sides... (one side to disengage and one side to engage the trans/input shaft). of friction material. Nothing special about that. I know the 1M has a lighten flywheel... over the 135i. I am not sure IF the 1M has a dual masss flywheel though. I would think not. But I don't know for sure.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Sounds marketing to me, but the 1M tranny is a lot smoother than the 135i. Everyone says it has the same transmission, but M has done something to it to make it better. In fact it is the first thing I noticed when I took delivery. Something has changed, and I don't think the semi-dry sump alone will do it?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #18
MB38
[insert witty title here]
Rep
Drives: '97 Supra TT, '11 1M

Somebody pull their transmission off and tell us!

Is the service manual available yet? That'd have pictures of the clutch mechanism. I have a triple plate clutch in my Supra... enormous torque capacity in a nice lightweight and small-radius package with super light [for 1,000 ft/lb capacity] pedal pressure.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #19
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
OP - I thnk this might be slotted in the M = marketing dept...

Just like they said the 1M has a special dry sump lubrication... and we now know the 1M has teh exact same trans as the 2012 135i's do... I suspect this dual friction clutch disc is M BS.

Every clutch disc has two sides... (one side to disengage and one side to engage the trans/input shaft). of friction material. Nothing special about that. I know the 1M has a lighten flywheel... over the 135i. I am not sure IF the 1M has a dual masss flywheel though. I would think not. But I don't know for sure.

Dackel
According to my SA, who has already serviced three 1M's and seems knowledgeable regarding these models, these cars have dual-mass flywheels and this explains the occassional "thump" exhibited by the transmission during clutch-in while in 1st gear under load at low RPM. Not sure how accurate the information is, however. Just wanted to share.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Final Word - 1M has Single-Disk Clutch

OK, I have final word on this. While on my ED I visited ///M Design Center in Garching and brought up the question since the website specs list a "heavy-duty dual-disk clutch. The website is wrong, the 1M has a single-disk clutch!

Not sure if they will change the website, but this was direct from a BMW ///M Source.
Appreciate 0