BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
thumper88
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Coupe

New build with German Maestro under seats...suggestions on settings?

So,
after much head-scratching and convoluted purchasing, I'm more or less there with the parts and am going to attempt what might be the first installation of the German Maestro SWF 8012 HE 8-inch subs under the seats of an E82.
The build will otherwise be pretty familiar to a lot of you:
1) the mandatory Technic harness
2) the ubiquitous JL Audio 600/6 amp in stock location.
3) Morel 402 Hybrid separate mids, tweeters and crossovers.

Head unit is standard Hi-Fi. I executed on the buy plan for the Maestros thinking I had everything worked out in my head, that I would run the rears off two channels, underseats off two and Morels off two letting the passive crossover handle the split between mids and tweeters.

But I looked at the power demands of the Maestros when I got them, and at the specs for Morels, and it seems like either or both would be happy with double the power from each channel of the amp (75w RMS), which got me wondering.

Maestros spec out at 90w RMS, 290w transient max.
Morel mids spec out at 100w wrms for power handling, 300w wrms max transient power.
Morel tweeters at 130w arms, and 350w wrms max transient.

How would you guys deal with the distribution of the power? Part of me says bridge it and send the wattage from four channels to the maestros, delete the rear speakers, and run the remaining two channels to the Morels.
But seems like that would unbalance the sound badly...I'm more alt rock, even tad of acoustic, than rap/techno... though frankly gots to have some Jack White and even once in awhile some Zeppelin.
On the other hand, I hate to waste two full channels on the crappy rears, and the Morels need a good dose of power, too.
Not in any way shape or form thrilled about installing another amp, and highly unlikely to go that far.
Can I power the rears off the head unit somehow without totally screwing the SQ, and bridge up to send four channels to the underseats or even just send two to them, and run two to mids and two to tweeters?
My gut tells me I should prob just stick with the original plan, but it's just gnawing at me a little to blow two full channels of power on rear speakers at all, let alone those lackluster factory ones, and wanted to hear from wiser folks, which would be just about anyone.

Lastly, thoughts on settings?... for the crossovers, but particularly for the amp, given that the Maestros have a pretty broad frequency response, 28hz to 4,500hz and have a rep for properly delivering it...massive, heavily-built items.
Morel mids are 50-4,200 hz, Morel tweeters 1,600 to 25,000.

I will take pics and post how the under seat install goes. I know it's likely to be tight, but I've done a lot of work in high-tech and medium-tech composites and worst case will gin up something radical there. But I expect to be able to get them in with a little shoe-horning. Either way, will report how it worked. I think they have the potential to be by far the best option, SQ-wise, for under seat use if they go in without toooo much aggravation.

Last edited by thumper88; 09-06-2013 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: left out a word, misspelled another
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
thumper88
Rep

So no one has thoughts on any of this?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper88 View Post
So no one has thoughts on any of this?
I would x-post to the A/V forum on e90post. There's a lot more activity on that board, although kaigoss posts here occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
thumper88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
I would x-post to the A/V forum on e90post. There's a lot more activity on that board, although kaigoss posts here occasionally.
xcellent suggestion, was just looking up the forum rules to figure out the proper way to do exactly that....
Appreciate 0