BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Since you live on the island why not come to our monthly meet on sunday the 14th? We all drive a 135i, but you can check out both the MT and the AT (not guaranteeing that youll drive) but you can meet a nice group of guys that you can talk to and have a good day with.

I see that youre in Bellmore, Im in Freeport and if you really want to come I can pick you up np.

Heres the link to what were doing

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350600

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #24
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
The battle between MT and AT has gone on for decades. And for decades, the answer was easy: If you know how to drive, get stick. If you don't, get Auto. Automatics are not as fast.

This is no longer true, especially on the 135. The 135 is faster in the AT than in MT. PLUS, if you are just learning stick (which you should still do), you will be even slower. MT's were faster because there is no slippage in the clutch and a human can shift faster. But you still have to be actually GOOD at shifting.

Nowadays, the AT's are SO much better, they can shift faster than a human. That's why when you see professional racing cars, they no longer have MT, they have a modified AT.

PLUS, there is absolutely no way in hell that a human can shift faster than a DCT. With .2 seconds inbetween gears, we can't even blink as fast. DCT allows two gears to be technically "linked up and ready" and only one is engaged. That way, you shift in a blink to a gear that is already there and waiting for you.

I hands-down have been a "You are a wimp if you have a AT" and "No self-respecting gearhead drives AT" for decades. However, technology is a brilliant thing. If professional racers now use paddle-shifters or the similar in the tunnel-mounted shift assembly, then it is good enough for me.

I can paddle shift faster, have faster 0-60 times for when I want to spank some idiot poser next to me, but I can then revert back to comfortable automatic when I am in ridiculous traffic.

So, if a "NEVER AN AT" guy like me can wake up and smell the New-Technology roses, anyone can. The people who are still saying MT only, they just need to read a book on BMW's and they can catch up.

You should still learn stick, they will still be around for another 10 years or so, but soon enough, they will be gone, just like the "Fluidmatic".
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #25
Luvmybmw
One Fast 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post
The battle between MT and AT has gone on for decades. And for decades, the answer was easy: If you know how to drive, get stick. If you don't, get Auto. Automatics are not as fast.

This is no longer true, especially on the 135. The 135 is faster in the AT than in MT. PLUS, if you are just learning stick (which you should still do), you will be even slower. MT's were faster because there is no slippage in the clutch and a human can shift faster. But you still have to be actually GOOD at shifting.

Nowadays, the AT's are SO much better, they can shift faster than a human. That's why when you see professional racing cars, they no longer have MT, they have a modified AT.

PLUS, there is absolutely no way in hell that a human can shift faster than a DCT. With .2 seconds inbetween gears, we can't even blink as fast. DCT allows two gears to be technically "linked up and ready" and only one is engaged. That way, you shift in a blink to a gear that is already there and waiting for you.

I hands-down have been a "You are a wimp if you have a AT" and "No self-respecting gearhead drives AT" for decades. However, technology is a brilliant thing. If professional racers now use paddle-shifters or the similar in the tunnel-mounted shift assembly, then it is good enough for me.

I can paddle shift faster, have faster 0-60 times for when I want to spank some idiot poser next to me, but I can then revert back to comfortable automatic when I am in ridiculous traffic.

So, if a "NEVER AN AT" guy like me can wake up and smell the New-Technology roses, anyone can. The people who are still saying MT only, they just need to read a book on BMW's and they can catch up.

You should still learn stick, they will still be around for another 10 years or so, but soon enough, they will be gone, just like the "Fluidmatic".
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #26
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post

This.
      03-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #27
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK55 View Post
alright im going to go for the manual i understand where you guys are coming from and i want to experience that.... and no, i have no idea how to drive a manual transmission but my uncle has the M5 and he's in love with it to say the least and he told me he'll teach me how to drive a stick so i think I'm going to go for the stick. plus he told me you really feel 100% control over the car, do you guys agree with that?
You are a man. Congratulations.

135i Manual >>>> 135i Slush
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #28
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Oh, and just to add, the "BMW Performance Power Kit" that adds HP and Torque, while the HP is 320 for each, the MT will only have 317 Torque, and the AT will have 332 Torque. Who will be quicker? Hmmmm.....I wonder......hmmmmm......hmmmmm.......

The upcoming 135is, it's basically going to be the 135 with this kit and then they say a tighter suspension so my guess is that it will have the "BMW Performance Suspension Kit". But the "is" is 320hp, same as if you add this power kit. So, again, AT is no longer in the dark ages.

And just to be clear, on my commuter car, it is a stick, and I do still enjoy the shifting (except in Miami's third-world traffic). However, on a ZX3, with having only 160hp on mine, it needs more work in shifting to maximize its potential than what a cheapy AT can do, so on this car, the MT is better.

But on the superior technology of the BMW AT, let alone the BMW DCT, time to learn new things.

Side Note: I would love to see a 1Addict purchase a 2011 135is with DCT and also the BMW Performance Exhaust, and then see just how close it comes to the M3 in times, both drag time and course time. My hope is that it would come to within .2 or .3 on 0-60....just my hope
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #29
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I'd say go with a manual. Better to learn now than wonder what could've been. Plus your imbecile friends won't be able to drive your car so no risks there =)

Yea the auto is just as quick or a tad quicker on a drag strip, but who drag races all day? On a real road course I don't see how an auto could be quicker. It might be just as fast, but I don't think there's any advantage. With a manual you're in FULL control, you can choose exactly when to heel-toe downshift coming into a corner, when to shift up when tracking out, etc.

And unless the car has a race-car type transmission, I still think MT will be better on the track. I've driven the M3's DCT, and also porsche's PDK, and I still wouldn't take those over the regular MT...

Most importantly for you, you're at a stage where you can learn a lot right now, and getting an MT car will do just that. You'll learn a lot more about how the car works by actually having to change your own gears, and you'll get more of an appreciation for the car than an automatic can give you, imo.

Last edited by scorcherjf; 03-08-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #30
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
You very rarely see people complain that they got a manual but you do see people with auto wishing they got manual. That should give you your answer.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #31
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Some of us don't race everyday......shift speed and 1/4 mile times don't matter......

Manual is more engaging, more fun, more satisfying. With a manual you actually have to drive the car, it doesn't drive for you.

My vote is manual.

NOW....that being said.....if your circumstances suggest that the auto would better suit your specific needs/wants...by all means get it.

In the end it is up to YOU to decide which you prefer and which you want to live with.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Good luck with your purchase.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #32
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
I see both in the complaining. Some who got MT wish they went AT, and then some AT who wish for MT.

And absolutely YES, it is up to YOU to decide which you prefer, I totally agree.

Do you have more control over the gear changes? Yes. It was a LOT more control in the past, and only a little now. Is that little extra worth it? That's up to you.

And I also agree, whatever tranny you get, whether MT, AT, or DCT, you really can't go wrong. Any of them is good so long as you enjoy your choice.

For shifting speed on a track, or in a drag race, it still is up to the driver's skill on what is really faster, although that DCT is just so fast, I would love to see a race between a professional race driver in a MT and a regular person in a DCT and see who wins. Now that would be interesting. Maybe Top Gear could try that. To me, IMHO, 15lbs more torque in AT and .2 second shifting for AT's DCT over MT is pretty hard to beat in any situation.

I only really object to the people who have not come out from the past yet, who say that MT is 100% always better than AT and that all AT's are bad. In the past, yep, that was absolutely true. But not anymore. I used to say the same thing, but both myself and AT's have grown up. We are not in the days of FluidMatic anymore.

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #33
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Step is slightly quicker, by a margin so thin most will never notice... Manual gives you a more intense connection with the car.

It's whatever you fancy.
      03-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #34
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the oppertunity to drive all four the auto and manual 128i and 135i at length (~35min/each), before purchasing, the manual is so much nicer in the 128i. There is a pretty significant diffrence in my opinion for the Man and Auto on the 128i, while the 135i I feel lacks that big difference between transimssions.

I've had my manual 128i for just over 14 months now and love it. I think I might go for an Auto 135i next, def go for the Man on the 128i.

I grew up near Paramus NJ, (sounds like you are somewhat close to there??)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #35
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 330i, e39 530i ESS e61 M5.

I disagree. Get a manual if you want to enjoy driving and feel part of process or get an auto if you dont feel the need for as much of a participation.

I call BS on the idea of getting an auto because its quicker. Same with DCT, it doesnt know what you want to do so there will always be times when it has to think for a moment and figure out what your doing. Anyway, auto's (DCT, whatever) are not as fun.

BK55, I suggest you go for what you feel comfortable with. It sounds like you have other opportunities to drive manuals (and/or to help you figure out whats best) and contrary to what some people on here say, to get to a very comfortable (high?) level of driving a manual PROPERLY, takes longer than 10 mins.

I have plenty of friends who enjoy driving and even ride motorbikes but they dont fully understand how to correctly shift.

Good luck on your choice dude!

There is a saying, that a huge part of enjoying a machine is its mechanical sound (I dont mean the exhaust). A manual is very similar in concept.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #36
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]

128= Manual
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #37
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer323 View Post
I call BS on the idea of getting an auto because its quicker. Same with DCT, it doesnt know what you want to do so there will always be times when it has to think for a moment and figure out what your doing. .

That's why you can control what gear it's in manually.

Besides that, it "thinks" at about 300MHz, so it can figure out what's going on fast enough that it doesn't matter.

I love a manual transmission, but you're not going to outshift a DCT these days.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #38
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

I have a C6 Vette and and 135. Both are autos. The Vette makes over 600bhp and is absolutely terrifingly fast. It gobbles up C6 Z06's(and other big gun sports cars). I've had fast standard cars before and bikes but now my knees arent so good and dont need the clutch routine. Im not under gunned with either car with its peers because they're automatics. Todays autos are hard to beat at the track. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #39
gstopyra
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

I like my manual because:

1) More personal gratification of rowing through the gears while hearing the lovely sound of our engine

2) A personal challenge of trying to drive my MT as smooth as I can.

now if I had known the DCT would be available when I ordered my 135 back in OCT, sure...I would have waited. But I'm not regretting my MT...even in stop and go traffic.

-GS
      03-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #40
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My first car, a 1966 mustang, was a manual. I drove it home and it was the first time I had driven a manual. It was a lot harder to drive than my 128i. It was a 3 speed with a 6 cylinder and you had to slip the clutch a bunch to get going. My 128i may not be the easiest manual I've driven but it is a least close. I think it helps to understand what is happening. The clutch physically connects and disconnects the engine from the transmission. I've never heard of an unintended acceleration on a manual transmission car. You have control.

Manuals also require less maintenance and the maintenance tends to be cheaper. If you do not abuse it, it should never require more than an occasional fluid change. Modern automatics are pretty good but BMWs are somewhat notorious for costing a lot when they do need work. Of course all maintenance on BMWs tends to be expensive but that is a reason to get a manual and avoid maintenance.

You will need to be extra careful and probably avoid driving in heavy traffic at least for awhile if you get a manual. The risk is you may forget what to do under stress. But I found it pretty easy to learn and many people do. I think a new BMW is a pretty expensive learner car but it is also an easy manual to drive.

Jim
      03-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #41
bluejaypanther
Nerd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i Coupe 6MT

I don't drive a 0-60 time. I drive a car. I'm for what lets me be more involved in that.

+1 for manual. the people who choose it aren't choosing for speed, they're choosing for the experience.
      03-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #42
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

17 and my first car is a BMW. Kids today....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #43
BK55
Rep
Drives: 128i

alright guys you all helped a lot and from all of this it looks like most of you are for the MT and im going to get the MT for experience and learning purposes rather than track purposes but i actually learned a lot here because with the manual im going to fully understand how everything works and maybe later in life ill go with an auto but for now i think u guys have pretty much convinced me that manual is the way to go
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #44
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
I see alot of people saying the dct shifts 0.2 seconds is this true? You guys are aware that the steptronic shifts in 0.3 so not very far apart.
Appreciate 0