BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Lighter wheels or Bigger Brake?

I know this is a very specific question, but, generally, is it faster around a track to have a bigger wheels (heavier) that can accommodate bigger brakes, or smaller brakes but lighter wheels?

I am still waiting on the car but just planning my modding path, and to see if there's much point having 19s so that I can fit the largest brakes on the car.

I know it probably depends on the track, but I just want to see what everyone's opinions on it are - generally, without looking into ride comfort etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

With wheel and brake upgrades, you need to be very careful about weight increases because increases in unsprung weight is multiplied due to the fact that it is rotational mass rather than fixed. If you are concerned about wheel weight but want to increase the size, I would stick with a 3 Piece Forged Wheel or 1 Piece Monoblok (HRE if you can afford it) as these will minimize increases in weight with upsizing. For brakes, make sure to go with a 2 piece rotor as these will be lighter weight than a 1 piece. With that said, increasing to a BBK will increase unsprung weight due to the larger rotor. It is a trade off that you have to consider but if you are concerned about brake fade and initial bite, sacrificing some unsprung weight for improved braking power may be worth it.

I do suggest tracking the car in its stock form first to get a feel for the car and see what needs to be improved. BMW is known for their braking systems so you may be able to get away with a simple pad and rotor upgrade.
Appreciate 0