BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #111
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Both the GT1 and Autologic scanners can read and clear the codes.....so by definition the codes are not "invisible" to these scanners.

Once cleared they should not be detectable via a regular scan at the dealer.....HOWEVER if your car goes in for service and the dealer files a PUMA case with BMW to authorize warranty work, BMW may remotely scan your ECM for raw data that is stored deeper in the ECM and they will analyze it for abnormalities/implausibilities if your warranty claim looks suspicious.

So bottom line is even if the dealer can't see the detection codes because you cleared them beforehand, this is not a guarantee that BMW won't.

However, I think you would have to have some pretty unusual circumstances even to invoke a PUMA claim.

Blown turbos would trigger a PUMA no doubt, I'm not so sure about HPFP's though.

Posters who have had their pumps replaced report mixed results. Sometimes the dealer files a PUMA claim and sometimes not at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 03:10 AM   #112
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Im new on the scene here and I was wondering if my recent DMS Automotive ECU re program will be visible to BMW service. I drive a E87 BMW 135i Silver with a 07/08 build date. I will be contacting the company that did it for me just to check with them however they already did tell me that it is "hidden". Just thought I would ask the question here as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #113
New1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

DynoComp in Scottsdale, AZ can flash all 135i ECUs without detection.

I have no vested interest. Just passing along the info.

I told the owner about finding this forum. He should be dropping in tomorrow to explain their "process".

Here's their site:

http://www.dyno-comp.com/

Take care!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #114
PL99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 135i

I tried using the search function but had no luck,

I remember seeing a place that someone had pointed out that had a sticker that showed the version of the ECU somewhere underneath the cowl, and now I can't find it.

I know of the sticker on the inside of the door, and the date, but the problem is, I have a 3/08 car, and I wanted to see for sure what version I have. Anyone have a link to that, or could tell me where to see either v80 or 81?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #115
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL99 View Post
I tried using the search function but had no luck,

I remember seeing a place that someone had pointed out that had a sticker that showed the version of the ECU somewhere underneath the cowl, and now I can't find it.

I know of the sticker on the inside of the door, and the date, but the problem is, I have a 3/08 car, and I wanted to see for sure what version I have. Anyone have a link to that, or could tell me where to see either v80 or 81?

Thanks!
There is a sticker physically on the ECU. Follow the JB3 install instructions http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct..._pnp_guide.pdf to access it. The ECU is the grey looking box and is loose inside the ECU compartment. Pull it up after depressing the retention tabs to free it and you can read the entire lable including manufacture date, version number, etc.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #116
driftmotion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, 335i GT, e46 M3 vert SC

01/08 money!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #117
Alec693
BMWholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT AWD

Garage List
So this voiding of warranty only applies to ECU mods right (which is what is meant by the tuning). I hope I can still put actual intakes and such in my soon to come 135i. >.<
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #118
1lvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i JB+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs View Post
Both the GT1 and Autologic scanners can read and clear the codes.....so by definition the codes are not "invisible" to these scanners.

Once cleared they should not be detectable via a regular scan at the dealer.....HOWEVER if your car goes in for service and the dealer files a PUMA case with BMW to authorize warranty work, BMW may remotely scan your ECM for raw data that is stored deeper in the ECM and they will analyze it for abnormalities/implausibilities if your warranty claim looks suspicious.

So bottom line is even if the dealer can't see the detection codes because you cleared them beforehand, this is not a guarantee that BMW won't.

However, I think you would have to have some pretty unusual circumstances even to invoke a PUMA claim.

Blown turbos would trigger a PUMA no doubt, I'm not so sure about HPFP's though.

Posters who have had their pumps replaced report mixed results. Sometimes the dealer files a PUMA claim and sometimes not at all.
i had a fuel injector valve go out and they opened a puma case. Does tuning a car usually take these out?
      05-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #119
FORCED AIR
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by New1 View Post
DynoComp in Scottsdale, AZ can flash all 135i ECUs without detection.

I have no vested interest. Just passing along the info.

I told the owner about finding this forum. He should be dropping in tomorrow to explain their "process".

Here's their site:

http://www.dyno-comp.com/

Take care!
I know Rich (the owner) and have spent a bit of $$$ there before. Definitely a high class place and they know their stuff. (They are the only RennTech certified dealer in the state for example)

I can head over there with any questions that need addressing.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #120
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

MSD81 will throw a tuner detection code with a flash, just like a piggyback. Unless you know what you are doing, and can disable it like we can
      07-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #121
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
MSD81 will throw a tuner detection code with a flash, just like a piggyback. Unless you know what you are doing, and can disable it like we can
My car is a 11/08 build so I should have MSD81, right?

After scanning my ECU, I noticed that it said I had MSD80.. What's up with that?
I also noticed that I haven't triggered any tuner codes either.. I've had my JB3 since 5000 miles ago, I have also had catless downpipes installed with the O2 Fix. Still, no triggered codes or 'shadow faults' found.

Am I just using the Bavarian Technic tool wrong or what?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:11 AM   #122
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

As advertised I never threw the Shadow fault on map 5 with intake and downpipes. Went to map 7 and sure enough a shadow fault for the fuel pump. I recently had a problem with my headlights not working. I took the car into the BMW dealer and had them look at them. I didn't feel like shooting wires or taking the car apart to find where the headlight control module is located. They first tried looking my fault up using their computer and the OBD port. It didn't take them long and they came to me in a panic, stated someone had modified my car and they they were pulling it out of the shop so I could leave immediatly. No charge just leave right away. I had cleared all faults with the BT and I made sure to get the shadow faults as well, I also used a BT scanner purchased from burger-tuning so I know I have the right thing. Some how with the JB3 on a stock map and showing no codes they found the tuner while looking for a headlight fault. They did not remove the ECU cover and they were not talking about my intake and down pipes.. they specifically said my ECU had been modified, they could not diagnose my problem or continue work on my car. I love my JB3 and knew when I bought this car I would not be staying within the lines required for a warranty. So no lose for me but be warned. I recommend you remove any tuner or flash before you take your car in reguardless of what service you are getting done. Or else you can lose your warranty.
My car is a 06/09 build definatly a MSD81 BT tool was used to scan clear and confirm all faults. and the car remained on stock map all the way to the BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 04:02 AM   #123
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

I think it's funny how so many threads exist on the worry of Tune / Warranty issue - especially when the signature mods on the OPs are loaded.

Just picture a guy rolling into the dealership with a different exhaust note, $5K wheels, dropped Suspension, under the hood is clearly visible DCI, DP's, FMIC, BOV, fingerprints all over the ECU box etc... and then they're worried dealer might suspect they have a tune... oh yeah, and their integrated boost gauge still shows the last stored boost reading of 15+.

enough with repetitive inquiries on tunes!!

BMW might have a hidden menu that shows the car has been driven well past the governor limit or went 0-60Mph in 3.5 sec...that would seem fishy to me.

Last edited by BBBluey; 12-29-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #124
Bcav
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
I think it's funny how so many threads exist on the worry of Tune / Warranty issue - especially when the signature mods on the OPs are loaded.

Just picture a guy rolling into the dealership with a different exhaust note, $5K wheels, dropped Suspension, under the hood is clearly visible DCI, DP's, FMIC, BOV, fingerprints all over the ECU box etc... and then they're worried dealer might suspect they have a tune... oh yeah, and their integrated boost gauge still shows the last stored boost reading of 15+.

enough with repetitive inquiries on tunes!!

BMW might have a hidden menu that shows the car has been driven well past the governor limit or went 0-60Mph in 3.5 sec...that would seem fishy to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #125
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
so you can still tune your 135 lets say with a jb3 and it will still work but my dealer will know that my car is chipped?
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #126
BBBluey
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer View Post
Any tune!! Any piggy-back, or ECU re-flash is now detectable at the dealer level as of Jan 1/2011... The dealers have been spending big $$ to put a stop to all the warranty claims on cars with mods... Yes this really sucks... There is NO tuner that can defeat the new program that's detecting these tunes... Took my piggy off, had all codes cleared, unplugged battery and took it to a friend ( high level tech ) and had him scan my car.... He told me in short dont take my car in for any warranty work or PUMA claims for fuel system, turbo, sensors related to these items, the ECU itself, etc... the list is long.. FYI: My HPFP is failing due to my tune... on my N55 pwrd car..
Is this dependent on the current software version loaded to your car? For instance, if my 09 is still on original software. is it just as identifiable? If your buddy scanned and told you not to go in for warranty work, then what did he find that triggers a modified ecu?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #127
BBBluey
Major
Rep

Quote:
Pretty much similar to your post from 12/29/2009 @ 2:02 am but the software BMW is using today is FAR more sofisticated than back in 2009, Plus BMW AG has made changes to the ECU and other areas that can't be discovered by tuners such as MSD80\81 to the newer 2010 and especially 2011 N55 cars...

That's where my friendship comes into question... I've kown him for 15 years outside the dealer realm... He did'nt tell me directly, just that there are some built in sensors on the turbo and a few handfuls of other parts that store info and when these are breached past OEM limitations they leave a mark of sorts, like breaking a lock, which raises flags... RED flags... I'll be chatting with him thursday... I will try another dealer..... He made sure my visit was not put in the system anyware or tht he cleared it out.
Well anomylies happen so...finding a RED flag (OEM limitations breached/exceeded) could be argued as a software fault...maybe? People don't complain when their car is running faster and turbo lag decreases.
I would think that they have to actually find the tune connected to your car to prove you've been tinkering with the OEM software. Kind of like murder...you can suspect all you want but until you find the actual weapon with fingerprints etc .... Maybe I'm WAY off but ... if I know for a fact that I've never tuned my car but the dealer say's yes I have and refuses to perform warranty work, then how do I defend my position? Doesn't seem right to be at their sole discretion based on software that can be easily manipulated even by their own mechanics. I wonder if the JB+ would have the same effect considering it operates differently.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #128
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Pretty much similar to your post from 12/29/2009 @ 2:02 am but the software BMW is using today is FAR more sofisticated than back in 2009, Plus BMW AG has made changes to the ECU and other areas that can't be discovered by tuners such as MSD80\81 to the newer 2010 and especially 2011 N55 cars...

That's where my friendship comes into question... I've kown him for 15 years outside the dealer realm... He did'nt tell me directly, just that there are some built in sensors on the turbo and a few handfuls of other parts that store info and when these are breached past OEM limitations they leave a mark of sorts, like breaking a lock, which raises flags... RED flags... I'll be chatting with him thursday... I will try another dealer..... He made sure my visit was not put in the system anyware or tht he cleared it out.
He is a pretty shitty dude if you knew him for 15 years and didnt just take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #129
roarke
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 135i

Can anyone tell me if i will lose my warranty on my car if i change the exhaust system?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #130
Imo135
I dont drive fast,I just fly low....
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135is

Quote:

So even if the car is made stock (i.e. flashed removed), the initial flash can still be detected and values found when sent into the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #131
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imo135 View Post
So even if the car is made stock (i.e. flashed removed), the initial flash can still be detected and values found when sent into the dealer?
It can yes. The ECU will store a fault code that will flash for the dealer when they read your car. This is why anyone who tunes has a BT tool, you can find and clear those fault codes before your dealer sees them

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #132
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
It can yes. The ECU will store a fault code that will flash for the dealer when they read your car. This is why anyone who tunes has a BT tool, you can find and clear those fault codes before your dealer sees them

This is NOT true!

I have a flash tune and a BT scan tool. There are never any tuner codes thrown nor even a CEL or SES light w/my tune. A flash tune simple WORKS. Someone who is running apiggy tune can not say the same.

I think this whole topic that BMW can tell whether you have a tune or not is all total BS. Even with a piggy back tune - BMW can tell. Someone here posted a pdf from BMW NA showing thier techs how to recognize the tell tale evidence when the ECU box has been messed with. Broken clips and dust and strange wires.

I want someone to post some evidence that BMW can find a tune. I really doubt they can. Not enless they call in a special engineer to look into your DME/ECU.

EDIT: see my post bellow. Looks like this is true fellas!!
Appreciate 0