BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #67
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Looks really good, the design is exactly how I envisioned it to be. Btw, you could always tape up the gaps and fill it, then measure it's contents when you empty it to get a rough idea of the capacity. It looks like it holds quite a bit though.

With regards to the cap, what options will we have to tap into it? Will we need a specific fitting or nozzle?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #68
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Looks good.
Cheers mate.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #69
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Looks really good, the design is exactly how I envisioned it to be. Btw, you could always tape up the gaps and fill it, then measure it's contents when you empty it to get a rough idea of the capacity. It looks like it holds quite a bit though.

With regards to the cap, what options will we have to tap into it? Will we need a specific fitting or nozzle?
Hey Vinney,

yep I am liking the design too.

It will certainly hold quite a bit more than the E92 version which was 4 litres, I suspect this will be 5.5 - 6.5 litres, but I could be wrong.

If you are referring to the supply line to the Meth' pump, the outlet will be on the underside of the tank sump, as per the E92 version.

I keep forgetting to ask Peter what type of Methanol line he prefers to use, for the run from the pump to the engine bay, I will chase that up.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #70
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey Vinney,

yep I am liking the design too.

It will certainly hold quite a bit more than the E92 version which was 4 litres, I suspect this will be 5.5 - 6.5 litres, but I could be wrong.

If you are referring to the supply line to the Meth' pump, the outlet will be on the underside of the tank sump, as per the E92 version.

I keep forgetting to ask Peter what type of Methanol line he prefers to use, for the run from the pump to the engine bay, I will chase that up.

Cheers,

JD.
Thanks JD. So should be about 1.5 US Gallon. Not bad at all for something so discreet! Best part is nobody will suspect anything

I will source the line myself with the stainless steel sleeve, just need to know what nozzle/connection will work to tap into the tank sump on the underside. The line I'm using is 1/4 inch nylon hose. The sleeve is true 303 stainless steel woven.

Another question, will there be any kind of sensor that will tell us when the tank is close to being empty? I think it would be handy to know how much meth is left in there to see that it's function properly.

Also, the benefit of using the WW setup is that you utilise the WW pump to power-purge the system. Will there be any such option for this tank or are we relying solely on the pump. I'm concerned about air in the lines before the solenoid.

Last edited by BMW86; 04-03-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #71
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

another thought, will there be a cover for the pump? From memory pete is planning to mount the pump in the rear bumper, i am a bit concerned about debris hitting the pump/lines and would like a cover just to be safe. I saw a 1er at wakefield blow a tyre from the middle and rip off the rear bar and if the pump and lines were there things could get messy
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #72
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
another thought, will there be a cover for the pump? From memory pete is planning to mount the pump in the rear bumper, i am a bit concerned about debris hitting the pump/lines and would like a cover just to be safe. I saw a 1er at wakefield blow a tyre from the middle and rip off the rear bar and if the pump and lines were there things could get messy
Another great idea! Very keen for something like this. I saw a wrx catch on fire at my last track day... yeh don't want to think about that one.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #73
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Due to meth?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #74
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX
Due to meth?
The tyre??? No I suspect shit driving
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #75
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The tyre??? No I suspect shit driving
the wrx catching on fire I mean
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #76
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks JD. So should be about 1.5 US Gallon. Not bad at all for something so discreet! Best part is nobody will suspect anything

I will source the line myself with the stainless steel sleeve, just need to know what nozzle/connection will work to tap into the tank sump on the underside. The line I'm using is 1/4 inch nylon hose. The sleeve is true 303 stainless steel woven.

Another question, will there be any kind of sensor that will tell us when the tank is close to being empty? I think it would be handy to know how much meth is left in there to see that it's function properly.

Also, the benefit of using the WW setup is that you utilise the WW pump to power-purge the system. Will there be any such option for this tank or are we relying solely on the pump. I'm concerned about air in the lines before the solenoid.
Hey Vinney,

yep, Mr Police man would never suspect you have 6 odd litres of Methanol stored in your boot, hehe.

Sounds like you have the line sorted, the use of 303 stainless for the sleeve may be overkill, but it's far better to over engineer something than under.

I do not know the exact size of the thread, but we will be using a weld-in that accepts a threaded fitting for connection of the Meth' line to the pump.

There are no plans to incorporate a low level sensor at this stage and there will be no "power-purge" feature.

That being said I have never had an issue with air in the Meth' line and I have been using my boot mounted Cm tank for nearly a year.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 04-06-2012 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #77
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
I have made a fuse cutout switch for the wipers that sits in my glove box so I can power purge without the wipers coming on. For me this is really important as I don't push my car that hard everyday to get the meth flowing. Sometimes I don't drive it for up to 3-4 days. Normally after a few days the meth tends to evaporate a little in the line. I just hit the stalk and presto, fully primed in seconds.

Last edited by JB4-335; 04-06-2012 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #78
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Paul,

I would not be concerned about the car catching fire as a result of a Meth' leak, unless you are running pure 100% undiluted Methanol.

If it's mixed to a 70/30 ratio of Methanol to water, I doubt if it would even ignite to an open flame.

I may be at Advan tomorrow for a a few hours, if so I will drop a match into a small container of 70/30 mix and sees what happens, I do not think I will be reaching for the fire extinguisher.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #79
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Hey Paul,

I would not be concerned about the car catching fire as a result of a Meth' leak, unless you are running pure 100% undiluted Methanol.

If it's mixed to a 70/30 ratio of Methanol to water, I doubt if it would even ignite to an open flame.

I may be at Advan tomorrow for a a few hours, if so I will drop a match into a small container of 70/30 mix and sees what happens, I do not think I will be reaching for the fire extinguisher.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #80
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Haha,

thanks for the vid Edwin.

The 100% Meth' test was as I suspected.

So what's your verdict on what would happen with a 70/30 mix?

Do you think you could dig up a 70/30 test and save me the trouble.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #81
pavo335
Banned
Rep

to be honest fire wasn't that high up the list of concerns, well that was until Edwin scared the shit outa me. I was more concerned about general damage to the meth pump and lines and a flow on effect to the meth flow. I wouldn't have thought a shroud would be a difficult thing to make (just remember I think everything takes 5 minutes) and would provide an additional lever of protection from a stray rock.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #82
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Vinney,

yep, Mr Police man would never suspect you have 6 odd litres of Methanol stored in your boot, hehe.

Sounds like you have the line sorted, the use of 303 stainless for the sleeve may be overkill, but it's far better to over engineer something than under.

I do not know the exact size of the thread, but we will be using a weld-in that accepts a threaded fitting for connection of the Meth' line to the pump.

There are no plans to incorporate a low level sensor at this stage and there will be no "power-purge" feature.

That being said I have never had an issue with air in the Meth' line and I have been using my boot mounted Cm tank for nearly a year.

Cheers,

JD.
I'd like to know more information about the exact size of the thread when you find out more. Or you could include this fitting into the kit? I think most of us will be using 1/4 nylon hose. I would think it shouldn't cost more than a few bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
I have made a fuse cutout switch for the wipers that sits in my glove box so I can power purge without the wipers coming on. For me this is really important as I don't push my car that hard everyday to get the meth flowing. Sometimes I don't drive it for up to 3-4 days. Normally after a few days the meth tends to evaporate a little in the line. I just hit the stalk and presto, fully primed in seconds.
Always once step ahead of us Edwin. Sounds pretty neat, any pics?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #83
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

JD - do you have anymore updates on the meth tank? It's been a couple months since this thread was started, do you have any ETA at this point?

Also, do you know more about the weld-in fitting and which thread fitting it will accept?

I've ordered my nylon hose, braided lines etc so I'm good to go. I need meth.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #84
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
JD - do you have anymore updates on the meth tank? It's been a couple months since this thread was started, do you have any ETA at this point?

Also, do you know more about the weld-in fitting and which thread fitting it will accept?

I've ordered my nylon hose, braided lines etc so I'm good to go. I need meth.
Hey Vinney
The outlet is 1/8 NTP this is the standard thread for all the plastic box tanks these systems use.
We should have a working preproduction unit in around 6 days, the flush mount cap is on back order from the UK We have used up all our stock for the E90 tanks
Hang in there Vinney not to much longer.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #85
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Hey Vinney
The outlet is 1/8 NTP this is the standard thread for all the plastic box tanks these systems use.
We should have a working preproduction unit in around 6 days, the flush mount cap is on back order from the UK We have used up all our stock for the E90 tanks
Hang in there Vinney not to much longer.
Thanks for the quick reply Peter.

I'm using standard coolingmist 1/4 nylon hose. What connection do you recommend I should use? Will this work? http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedispl...cial_injectors
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #86
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Peter.

I'm using standard coolingmist 1/4 nylon hose. What connection do you recommend I should use? Will this work? http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedispl...cial_injectors
Yep that's the one
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #87
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Yep that's the one
Fantastic. I am good to go then.

Any idea where the tank sump will be? JD said it's on the underside but didn't specify exactly where. I'm trying to plan the most efficient and practical way to route the lines. I want it to look clean.

Also, how is the tank secured? I see that you have made 2 holes on each side of the tank. Are we supposed to drill into the boot? I assume all this hardware is included. Black screws to match the anodized option
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #88
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Fantastic. I am good to go then.

Any idea where the tank sump will be? JD said it's on the underside but didn't specify exactly where. I'm trying to plan the most efficient and practical way to route the lines. I want it to look clean.

Also, how is the tank secured? I see that you have made 2 holes on each side of the tank. Are we supposed to drill into the boot? I assume all this hardware is included. Black screws to match the anodized option
I quickly skim the previous pages but either is not there or I must have missed it but did you mention where you will be mounting the pump?
Appreciate 0