BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Sealing Over Wax

I remember reading you can wax over sealant but not seal over wax.

When I got my car from the dealer I saw some adhesive on the trunk that wouldn't come off so they took the car away for a bit and came out and said that they got it off and waxed the trunk for me. Which I assume means they probably did something to it that needed to be covered up with wax.

Later that week I got the car home and washed and sealed it with Wet Diamond. Not thinking I sealed the whole car, and today I noticed water doing weird things on the trunk when I was drying. Then it clicked, and I remembered it was waxed before I sealed it.

The ultimate question is, why are you not supposed to seal over a wax, does it harm anything, or does the sealant just not attach to the wax. And is this pattern I see in the drying water just the wax deteriorating over time

SOLD:
2012 135i | Le Mans | 6MT
1986 535i | Cirrus Blue Metallic | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Some waxes (those that contain polymer) can be applied under a sealant. The normal convention is that a wax, being the lesser durable, is appied over a sealent

A sealent is formulated to bond with paint
Appreciate 0