BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

30FF and the Terrible Possibilities

So I've been through every flavor of fuel pump, some vanos nonsense, and a phantom 30FF at the end of my warranty. Car was in several times for it and the explanation was..."we must have missed a hose when we were working on the car".

Every time the car was in, i complained about the fact that my car sounded like a coke can full of nickels on deceleration. " we can't do anything for you " was the typical response.

So I'm coming up on 70k and the light pops up again WOT at 2000-2500 in 4th (the magic combination to hear that angelic chime and see the yellow engine symbol) in my completely stock 135. Car goes in today and low and behold...30FF and they needed more a few hundred more to fully diagnose (differentiate between turbo issue or Waste-gate actuator issue).

Anyone known how easy it is to determine which is the root?

I pulled the car back so that i could weigh options here as the fix could be very tall dollars. I heard from the SA that if the problem were a turbo, it would be replaced under warranty as it is an emissions control device and covered to 70k...it it were waste-gate actuator, the labor and parts would be on me. Labor is the lion's share of the job and I'd just assume have both fixed as its a KNOWN DEFECT on these cars.

Anyone have a similar instance on stock car around 70k? With 70k of highway miles (I'll admit sometimes spirited miles) its tough to swallow this kind of failure, especially after 4 fuel pumps, knowing that there is another turbo and waste-gate actuator in there.

So obviously she has to go back in to be fully diagnosed...but i wanted to know if anyone else had been in similar situations and what BMW did to address?

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

bro, time to unload the 1 it sounds like...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
fs454
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jones View Post
So I've been through every flavor of fuel pump, some vanos nonsense, and a phantom 30FF at the end of my warranty. Car was in several times for it and the explanation was..."we must have missed a hose when we were working on the car".

Every time the car was in, i complained about the fact that my car sounded like a coke can full of nickels on deceleration. " we can't do anything for you " was the typical response.

So I'm coming up on 70k and the light pops up again WOT at 2000-2500 in 4th (the magic combination to hear that angelic chime and see the yellow engine symbol) in my completely stock 135. Car goes in today and low and behold...30FF and they needed more a few hundred more to fully diagnose (differentiate between turbo issue or Waste-gate actuator issue).

Anyone known how easy it is to determine which is the root?

I pulled the car back so that i could weigh options here as the fix could be very tall dollars. I heard from the SA that if the problem were a turbo, it would be replaced under warranty as it is an emissions control device and covered to 70k...it it were waste-gate actuator, the labor and parts would be on me. Labor is the lion's share of the job and I'd just assume have both fixed as its a KNOWN DEFECT on these cars.

Anyone have a similar instance on stock car around 70k? With 70k of highway miles (I'll admit sometimes spirited miles) its tough to swallow this kind of failure, especially after 4 fuel pumps, knowing that there is another turbo and waste-gate actuator in there.

So obviously she has to go back in to be fully diagnosed...but i wanted to know if anyone else had been in similar situations and what BMW did to address?

Thanks!

Wait, so if I understand this correctly, there's a warranty extension on the waste gate rattle issue, but you need to drop hundreds in BS "diagnostic fees" before they'll do it? Is it always like this?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
this sounds like something that happened to me last year. i forget the code right now, but i know i have it saved somewhere. 30FF does sound familiar. IIRC i got a new HPFP out of it. stay tuned -- i'll check tomorrow

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

well if it makes anyone feel better, my car is continously going into either limp mode, misfiring, or just check engine light comes on. 2 of the codes are linked to VANOS solenoid needing replacement which will get done as soon as they come in the mail. I'm pretty sure I need to adjust my o2 simulator too. Hopefully with those 2 things, it will change something
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Read this thread on the e90 site. Supposedly the turbo and wastegate issues are warrantied to 8 yr/82k miles now. There may be some subtleties to it, but have a look.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731947

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0