E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The beginnings of E90post

12-23-2005, 06:42 AM   #23
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
...and then StewtheBassman joined the group. And it was even better.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #24
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no doubt in my mind that this is a commercial venture. This is a huge site usurping massive bandwidth and traffic, storing many gigs of images and video. Jason and Mark were very shrewd. They created a very pleasant, friendly environment where people can focus on their passion without being pestered by ads. They realized that the membership has to be here first, before the market.

I am amazed at their skill in growing this site into what it has become. 8400+ registered high - income enthusiasts, with hundreds willing to advertise the site on their car! To marketing people, this site would have enormous value. I suspect the shoe is about to drop: either they will sell the site and it could change dramatically, or ads will pop up here and there.

It is probable that Mark and Jason are professional webforum masters, and this is just another one of their soon-to-be successful ventures.

They have really good taste so far, and I hope that continues. I appreciate what this place has become, and I hope it doesn't change too much. But it will change. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but the writing's on the wall.
      12-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #25
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau
I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no doubt in my mind that this is a commercial venture. This is a huge site usurping massive bandwidth and traffic, storing many gigs of images and video. Jason and Mark were very shrewd. They created a very pleasant, friendly environment where people can focus on their passion without being pestered by ads. They realized that the membership has to be here first, before the market.

I am amazed at their skill in growing this site into what it has become. 8400+ registered high - income enthusiasts, with hundreds willing to advertise the site on their car! To marketing people, this site would have enormous value. I suspect the shoe is about to drop: either they will sell the site and it could change dramatically, or ads will pop up here and there.

It is probable that Mark and Jason are professional webforum masters, and this is just another one of their soon-to-be successful ventures.

They have really good taste so far, and I hope that continues. I appreciate what this place has become, and I hope it doesn't change too much. But it will change. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but the writing's on the wall.
Sorry man, but wrong It is true I've gotten emails from professional website companies asking to buy the site, but i'm not going to sell it because I hate the overly commericialized sites out there. I'm not a professional website person at all, I do put up sites as a hobby, i've made a whole bunch over the years, a Tool fan site which is now gone, delerium fan site (http://www.delerium.com), the top ten e46 site (http://www.elwynor.com/~mark/toptene46) among others.. notice the lack of advertisements, etc..

Im not a marketer or any of that other stuff you say, and im kinda insulted at the tought.. i guess it shows the change things have taken in the car community over the last few years...
      12-23-2005, 10:22 AM   #26
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Neither Mark nor I are in anyway "professional webforum masters" as we are both professionals in jobs that have nothing to do with the internet or the computer. Between the two of us we've owned 5 BMW's in the past 3 years so we're BMW enthusiasts and that's the reason we put up this site.

And no, the shoe is not about to drop.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #27
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
Sorry man, but wrong It is true I've gotten emails from professional website companies asking to buy the site, but i'm not going to sell it because I hate the overly commericialized sites out there. I'm not a professional website person at all, I do put up sites as a hobby, i've made a whole bunch over the years, a Tool fan site which is now gone, delerium fan site (http://www.delerium.com), the top ten e46 site (http://www.elwynor.com/~mark/toptene46) among others.. notice the lack of advertisements, etc..

Im not a marketer or any of that other stuff you say, and im kinda insulted at the tought.. i guess it shows the change things have taken in the car community over the last few years...

Wow, I am shocked!

-That is great news. Sorry to seem so pessimistic, but you have to admit this place seems too good to be true. I would be happy to admit I am wrong.

Keep up the great work.
      12-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #28
tiga901
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, mt pp sp

To the admins Mark and Jason.....many thanks for putting up a great site. To be honest a little ad will not disturb me so long as they are not pop ups. A little ad on the banner would be okay or maybe a manufacturer/distributor question and answer question where you have these people selling stuff pay for being able to interact with the members.

Anyway...good work!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:01 PM   #29
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
...and then StewtheBassman joined the group. And it was even better.

Although the average IQ of the site dipped....

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #30
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Although the average IQ of the site dipped....
Yes, the average IQ has taken a nose dive, but not due to you Stew!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 04:08 PM   #31
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6mt

Well...

You could always work out something with BMW aftermarket suppliers. Give them sponsorship status for them to market their goods on this site (rims, kits, lighting, spoiler, etc...) and in turn they take care of you some how.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 11:58 PM   #32
SilvertE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Bless You
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2005, 09:19 AM   #33
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Ha Ha!

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2005, 09:45 AM   #34
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

The only changes around here are that as the site grows, mark and jason might need volunteers to help keep it tidy - moderate posts etc.

Hopefully, it won't be sold to people who will lead it in the wrong direction. I spend more time on this site - then I do driving my car most days...sad but true....

E90post.com is my life.

*addict*
Appreciate 0