BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #23
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1N4ttro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
For that price, just get the Carly app and code/register it yourself. Then you can do all sorts of other fun stuff.
Is this it for Android?

http://www.ivini-tech.de/en/adapter/...er-bmw/a-1017/
Well, the description does say "Android Bluetooth". I would assume yes.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #24
JAM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 550iX

Last week, during the recent cold snap, my original 2009 battery became little sluggish cranking my 135i so I decided to replace it.
My car came with a non AGM type battery (white case) rated at 640A.
I picked up also non AGM one with the same rating and was told to just install it.
When I asked about programming, parts manger told me that only AGM type batteries needs it because of the different charging characteristics that change due to aging of the battery.
I got the new battery for $143 with some friendly discount.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #25
1N4ttro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Well, the description does say "Android Bluetooth". I would assume yes.
I did not mean to sound like I was asking about which platform but rather if the item itself is the correct one and not an imitation or virant. Good! on my list. Thanks.

2009 135i M Sport • 6MT • Space Gray/Terracotta • JB4 • 261s
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #26
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Whats funny is BMW says the battery and the technology will allow the battery to last for, up to, 10 years. But then they recommend you change it every 5.....
I'm on my original battery from April 2009 so next spring will be 8 years. Daily driver so no battery tender and is parked in unheated garages (at home and work). Hoping I can make it through another Northeast winter, but I'm definitely pleased with the longevity.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #27
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Whats funny is BMW says the battery and the technology will allow the battery to last for, up to, 10 years. But then they recommend you change it every 5.....what is even the point of the whole dynamics behind the battery tech if they want you to change it every 5.

I just changed mine (5 years and it was dead) and it seems everyone has their own "opinions" on what to do. The independent shop I went to said for me to get the exact same specs (ever spec) for my replacement battery while the dealer said get the same CCA and you'll be fine. Independent shop said they would have to reprogram the car and charge more if I didn't get the exact same spec battery.

Stupid engineers making things way more complicated and more expensive with such an easy component to replace and maintain yourself.
Sold my 06 E90 this summer, still had the original battery in it. And that was with Montreal/Ottawa winters. Current owner is still not having any issues, and we have had several days below -25C already this winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #28
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Last week, during the recent cold snap, my original 2009 battery became little sluggish cranking my 135i so I decided to replace it.
My car came with a non AGM type battery (white case) rated at 640A.
I picked up also non AGM one with the same rating and was told to just install it.
When I asked about programming, parts manger told me that only AGM type batteries needs it because of the different charging characteristics that change due to aging of the battery.
I got the new battery for $143 with some friendly discount.
Hope this helps.
Correct regarding programming/coding as your battery type and capacity hasn't changed.

However, the factory procedure is to "register" the battery so that the car knows a new battery was installed. This is different than coding/programming to tell it it has a different type or capacity battery.

Is registration strictly required? Well plenty of folks have replaced their battery without registering, but the fact remains that it's the official procedure for a reason (whatever that reason is).

The registration process takes only 5 minutes or so with either Carly, ISTA/D, Tool32 (I think, I used ISTA), or similar. If you have someone near you who has those tools, they can probably help you out for about the price of a six pack or case of beer

Edit to say I'm not intending to pass judgement on your situation, just provide facts for others who may come across this thread. Your post is very helpful especially as it shows even the factory battery can be quite affordable.

Last edited by kioneo; 12-27-2016 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 05:15 AM   #29
sandlion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

the battery is charged differently depending on its age. this extends battery life. that is why it is best to r register the change.
Dackelone10588.50
      12-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #30
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
The wording of your question is a little fuzzy. Do you mean, "Will this work with Android?"...or do you mean, "Is this all that is available for Android?"

I have a Carly (WIFI version for iPhone) and I love it.

Peace
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #31
1N4ttro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
The wording of your question is a little fuzzy. Do you mean, "Will this work with Android?"...or do you mean, "Is this all that is available for Android?"

I have a Carly (WIFI version for iPhone) and I love it.

Peace
Yeah, this could have been much easier with just "Is this it?". Anyways, I just ordered it from Amazon. Wished I had this before I dropped the car off to seller today to correct service light problem.

2009 135i M Sport • 6MT • Space Gray/Terracotta • JB4 • 261s
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #32
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Yeah, this could have been much easier with just "Is this it?". Anyways, I just ordered it from Amazon. Wished I had this before I dropped the car off to seller today to correct service light problem.
You will like your Carly. Enjoy.

Peace
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0