BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Forge Diverter Valves

Anyone uses them on his/her 1M? What are the impressions? Worth installing for stock cars too or just another safety mod for cars with a tune/runing higher boosts?

I have been reading quite a few comments and reviews from other N54 equipped cars' owners in internet but this never seemed to be a popular subject here in our 1M forum. Seems like charge pipe issue is well documented but not many people are upgrading their diverter valves to Forge kit unlike 135/335 guys, among them it seems to be quite a popular mod. Do we have a different diverter valve than regular N54 engines that I am not aware of or people who do upgrade go other ways?

I am waiting for my ER charge pipe now, I will feel safer after installing it and also expecting better throttle response, at the same time I was thinking if I should order the Forge kit as well...for even better response basically.

About my car; pretty much stock-ish with N55 mids, Evolve Race rear exhaust, ER charge pipe and CDV delete, those will be my technical mods essentially, I can add Michelin PSS set also among them. Anything I am not going to be uber happy with, I go back to stock without blinking an eye. CDV delete is a candidate, will see that one. I will have the afe pro dry s drop-in filter too which seems to be a relatively conservative option (good dust holding and easier to clean and maintain, no likely harm to stock intake, just a bit better flow) but will just experiment it on and off comparing with stock filter before letting it stay long time. That's all I plan to do about the car, other than enjoying it more and more hopefully, I apply light and regular aesthetical mods but keep all stock parts as well. No tunes, down pipes, FMIC, intake, meth, chassis mods or other stuff for me.

So, can Forge DVs be my likely last tech mod and any specific reason why we don't hear about it in this Forum?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 10-30-2012 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
My guess would be that since the 1M is already basically factory modded you'll get less modders than you would with a regular One series. I basically bought my 135 with intentions to mod. I'd rather have started with a 1M but that was not an option in 2008.

If I had a 1M I'd upgrade the diverter valves and chargepipe before increasing boost levels (before a tune). It might just be considered overkill if you are still running factory boost levels.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Eyeman thanks, you made me think.

Lots of 1M owners, including me, loves this car as it is. It has a superb balance quite rare to find in modern cars. I call these little mods like small corrections basically. When the 135i came out in 2008 I wanted it to be a bit more blunt and complete, I thought that was the right step but BMW left the job halfdone. Then when they built the 1M, I bought it like I was waiting that day since a decade or so. So, the mods for a 1M are only valid for me if they strengthen the stock car's essential qualities and make it more reliable. Moding 1M to make it something else is not on my agenda.

I have the traction and grip car (or myself as a driver) needed provided by PSS.
I have slightly better ride quality again thanks to PSS.
I will have the ER charge pipe, no need to wait for an occasional pop/crack plus it will make the throttle response better.
I may have better clutch feeling and more natural 1-2 shifting with CDV delete, will see that one soon. I have little complaint about the stock shifter and clutch but if it will be even better will worth the effort.
I consider drone and lack of a good sporty sound at full throttle as issues and they are beautifully resolved by N55 mids and Evolve Race muffler combo. They also made engine more responsive and free(er) revving.

Since I don't have any other real complaints or wishes about the stock car, I better stop there anyway. I think I will just just stick with the stock diverter valves. You said it good, no need to overkill.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Hi Ozi ! I totally subscribe to your modding philosophy. Keep us update about the CDV, I'm very curious to see the results. It should be worthwhile and it's very cheap !!
I'm myself also considering the factory "short shift kit", as I think that the gear changes are taking a little too long ... But 1st, I should decide about the CDV.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
Hi Ozi ! I totally subscribe to your modding philosophy. Keep us update about the CDV, I'm very curious to see the results. It should be worthwhile and it's very cheap !!
I'm myself also considering the factory "short shift kit", as I think that the gear changes are taking a little too long ... But 1st, I should decide about the CDV.
Thanks LotusBoy. I need a new dyno session to see the numerical results of the exhaust set up plus these new goodies' could be installed all at once at the same shop which is not at a easy distance to visit frequently. I will report back about charge pipe, CDV and afe filter too but I am being hold by USPS since two weeks, I should choose the shipping option by horseback, would be faster than this; even a mule-PS should be midway right now!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
M'er
Rep
Drives: Fast

CDV is the best mod for the money!!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #7
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'er View Post
CDV is the best mod for the money!!
especially since it's free! (no need to get a hollowed valve, the tube connects straight up with teh stock valve removed)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I had an issue with the Forge where one of the valve was stuck open. Forge has been very good with replies etc. I just haven't had a chance to try to install it again. As all the tests Forge suggested are all good my suspicion is that there might have been a blockage on the vacuum port.

There are plenty of mod 1Ms around but the flash are more conservative than the potential JBs and Procedes. The forge is not really necessarily until you get to higher boost levels where boost leak is a concern.

Turnersport is the only other maker I am aware of that also makes a N54 kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Eyeman thanks, you made me think.

Lots of 1M owners, including me, loves this car as it is. It has a superb balance quite rare to find in modern cars. I call these little mods like small corrections basically. When the 135i came out in 2008 I wanted it to be a bit more blunt and complete, I thought that was the right step but BMW left the job halfdone. Then when they built the 1M, I bought it like I was waiting that day since a decade or so. So, the mods for a 1M are only valid for me if they strengthen the stock car's essential qualities and make it more reliable. Moding 1M to make it something else is not on my agenda.

I have the traction and grip car (or myself as a driver) needed provided by PSS.
I have slightly better ride quality again thanks to PSS.
I will have the ER charge pipe, no need to wait for an occasional pop/crack plus it will make the throttle response better.
I may have better clutch feeling and more natural 1-2 shifting with CDV delete, will see that one soon. I have little complaint about the stock shifter and clutch but if it will be even better will worth the effort.
I consider drone and lack of a good sporty sound at full throttle as issues and they are beautifully resolved by N55 mids and Evolve Race muffler combo. They also made engine more responsive and free(er) revving.

Since I don't have any other real complaints or wishes about the stock car, I better stop there anyway. I think I will just just stick with the stock diverter valves. You said it good, no need to overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
I actually feel that the 1M can still be significantly improved whilst maintaining its philosophy. The limitation (for M cars in general) has always been cost. Here's a close up look on one of my next mod:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I actually feel that the 1M can still be significantly improved whilst maintaining its philosophy. The limitation (for M cars in general) has always been cost. Here's a close up look on one of my next mod:
I can't see the attachement, what's it about?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

It's a photo of a grey surface (?), with 2 black (?) holes in it ... Looks a little like a wall socket to me !! Could it be that Sparoz's car is going electric ????
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

All will be reviewed .
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #13
BJ1M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe AW

i ran forge DV. They provide 2 sets of the spring. I use the harder one. Because i am running Cobb stage2 + FMIC. Honestly i have not got any differences feel vs. previous Tial Blow-off. Once i got dynoed and then post the result.
      11-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

I got the Forge DV on my 335i
So I didn't have any problems with it, but a few guys from the Russian forum had some bad issues, some times it sticks (didn't find another word to explain it), so everybody went to the conclusion, that the best way is to go with Blow off valve, or to keep stock DVs, if you don't drive extremly high PSI...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:55 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
I got the Forge DV on my 335i
So I didn't have any problems with it, but a few guys from the Russian forum had some bad issues, some times it sticks (didn't find another word to explain it), so everybody went to the conclusion, that the best way is to go with Blow off valve, or to keep stock DVs, if you don't drive extremly high PSI...
Interesting as you are the first person who mentioned it in any forum, as it is the same problem I had right after install.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Have you considered the AWE diverter/blowoff valves? I haven't heard much about them, but look like a decent alternative to Forge.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11809
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
Have you considered the AWE diverter/blowoff valves? I haven't heard much about them, but look like a decent alternative to Forge.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11809
Interesting product, thanks for posting. No, I did not know about this one before, would like to hear from people who has first hand experience with them. May worth a try depending on what we learn from users.

For now, I am convinced that I should install my ER charge pipe mated with stock diverter valves and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

I tend to agree, but some of the race tunes are pushing 18.5 psi+. I can't imagine boost creep at those levels would be OK. Will the OE diverter work reliably with more than stock boost levels?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
I tend to agree, but some of the race tunes are pushing 18.5 psi+. I can't imagine boost creep at those levels would be OK. Will the OE diverter work reliably with more than stock boost levels?
I don't have and don't intend to have a tune so for me should be OK.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

OT: but since the cat is out (punt intended to make this post relevant some how ) in the Australian forum. Here's the full pic of what was previously posted:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...6#post13089696

Last edited by sparoz; 12-02-2012 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just want to say no issue with Forge with the latest install - we haven't pushed it hard yet, but the test run around the block is fine.
Appreciate 0