BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
crdlrbbr
Rep
Drives: beater

whirring/screeching from engine

anybody know what could be causing this noise? occurred on a n55 after sustained highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlerobber View Post

anybody know what could be causing this noise? occurred on a n55 after sustained highway driving.
Damn i have this exact same noise! Was this ever covered on what it is and how to get rid of it? It's kind of embarrassing coming from a 45k car :P

Matthew Gallop: '12 N55 Mods: JB4 Flex ISO | iCarbon DP | VRSF 5" FMIC | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | Race Axleback | ST Coils | Alufelgen CS7's | iCarbon 3 fin Diffuser |
Blackline LCI | CarbonFiber Spoiler | Orion v4 AE's | 30% tint | red+blk roundels | Cyba Scoops | H-Style front Lip | WeissLicht LED Smoked Sidemarkers | Matte Grills | Coded |
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would think its one of the belt tensioners or the polly V-belt itself.

You should open the hood and film this sound again. Moving around the engine area. Did you have the AC on? Or does the noise change with the AC on/off?

I have a wierd fluttering noise only after driving for atleast and hour or so. And it only makes a fluttering noise as teh revs fall between 1,800 roms to 1,200 rpms. But it never makes teh noise for my dealer. I suspect its the belt tensioner (bearings inside of the pulley) that are going bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Yeah AC is off, and it does sound like its coming from the "belt" area.
I have sprayed the belt with belt dressing and that seems to be a quick fix, but can come back really quick (days).

Could the added power of the JB cause the belt to go out of whack?

Need to figure out if i need to take off my tune and bring it in, or if i can set to stock map and cross my fingers

Matthew Gallop: '12 N55 Mods: JB4 Flex ISO | iCarbon DP | VRSF 5" FMIC | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | Race Axleback | ST Coils | Alufelgen CS7's | iCarbon 3 fin Diffuser |
Blackline LCI | CarbonFiber Spoiler | Orion v4 AE's | 30% tint | red+blk roundels | Cyba Scoops | H-Style front Lip | WeissLicht LED Smoked Sidemarkers | Matte Grills | Coded |
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
crdlrbbr
Rep

If I remember correctly it was the rear seal between the engine and transmission that had to be replaced. Car was in the shop for about a week while they tried to figure out what was going on. I never got to talk to the SA about what was done because I was in the hospital when the car was picked up.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
If I remember correctly it was the rear seal between the engine and transmission that had to be replaced. Car was in the shop for about a week while they tried to figure out what was going on. I never got to talk to the SA about what was done because I was in the hospital when the car was picked up.
Do you happen to have a tune on your car?
Im wondering if the added power messed it up... just need to figure out if i need to take out the tune and bring it in to play it safe if they say that it is related.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Guys... I have heard that the belts can go(on our cars) and make some wierd noises. Also its not unheard of for a belt tensioner's bearing to go bad. The acessory belt should be good for 60K miles or more. But if you can see some stress cracks when you twist the belt. It is bad and should be replaced before it snaps/breaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Thanks for the heads up.. hard to see down there, but will try to give it a good look.

I wonder if a tune could be said a cause of this problem? I had my JB4 tune installed for me, and not to sure on how to take out, so putting on stock map and taking it in would be most ideal for my situation.

--

Not related but... anyone know roughly how much it is for an oil change through the dealer?

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADLOCK View Post
Not related but... anyone know roughly how much it is for an oil change through the dealer?
I think around $120 (parts and labor).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I can't see any way that a tune can relate to a belt.

Belts squeal when they get old for a variety of reasons - cracks, heat, hardening, loosening up, and so on. Just simply existing and being used in a hot environment. I suppose a tune could potentially make things hotter under the hood and make them wear faster, but it's a stretch. it's not like damaging an engine from excess boost from a tune.

Belts are generally easy but a pain in the butt to replace. I've changed them on my own cars and friends have come over for the same. It ranges from a couple minutes to a couple hours depending on how things are arranged and what if anything needs to be loosened or removed. no idea for the 1-series, haven't had to do it yet.

I guess if I'm saying anything it's simply a wear item and happens on every car eventually.

Also - belt dressings are sometimes waxy, for lack of a better word, and that can actually cause more slipping. In my experience they work for a short time and the problem comes right back. It won't really go away until it's replaced and properly tensioned again. Not in my experience anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

+1 for Dack I think same that it is one of pulley bearings. I have same noise but much much lower coming from one of my pulleys and I suspect that it is steering pulley in my case
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

^^yea... belt dressing is a bad idea. It is only a temp fix. Generally IF belt dressing quiets the belt down... its time for a new belt. When the belt is off take some time to check the other tensioners for defects. They should spin freely and not have any play in them or feel rough when turning/spinning.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Looks like i need to make a visit to the dealer and get that fixed.
Thanks Dack and Tracer for your knowledge on this. Makes me feel confident knowing I have great help here!!

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I can't see any way that a tune can relate to a belt.

A tune can make the engine produce more power and rev up faster. This could cause more load on the polly V-belt.

Also... it has been reported here before than IF you drive hard and like to get some axle hop when you lauch the car... this can make the drive train jumo or move up and down. The front crankshaft pully is awfully close to the front subframe. In a few cases the V-belt has contacted the subframe and caused the belt to snap off. One guy need several hundred dollar repair bc of that. New crankshaft pulley and belt and tensioners. The old snapped belt looked like a "dead snake" up in his engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
crdlrbbr
Rep

I only heard the whirring when I was at a stop, it usually would go away when the car started moving. Nothing was mentioned about any belts when I took the car in. Didn't have a tune on the car either and it happened when I had about 4k miles on it and 2 or so months of ownership.

Last edited by crdlrbbr; 01-13-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
same here cradle.. it may be making the noise while driving too, but the car is to loud to hear.

I can REALLY hear it when a car pulls up next to me... good thing its cold out and everyone has their windows up haha

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I notice my "wierd flutter noise"(only on decell revs falling) only when driving at 30 kph or less. Like you guys say - onlyt while stopped or espcially when driving next to a brick or stone wall slowly... you can hear the noise quite well. After 30 kph you can not hear it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
crdlrbbr
Rep

padlock - I pulled up my old service invoices.

When I first brought it in they believed it was a vacuum leak. They found no leaks from the intake manifold but replaced my valve cover due to a noisy oil separator. The noise continued so I believe they had to call for help from higher up and were instructed to replace the rear main seal (11-11-7-587-168 / Case #45638082). I had 3500 miles on the car and this happened two months after delivery.

I hope this information can help you out.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

When I first brought it in they believed it was a vacuum leak. They found no leaks from the intake manifold but replaced my valve cover due to a noisy oil separator. The noise continued so I believe they had to call for help from higher up and were instructed to replace the rear main seal (11-11-7-587-168 / Case #45638082). I had 3500 miles on the car and this happened two months after delivery.

Thanks again for getting me that info... It was real nice to have some background when dropping off my car this morning. My car isnt making the noise today, but based off the video i took, they seem to think its either the Main seal or the Belt tensioner.

Hopefully should hear back from them early next week on what they end of fixing.

Till then, im rollong in a nice 328 loaner

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Got my car back. Unfortunately, they were not able to do anything about it because it was not making the noise when i brought it in, and BMW will not allow warranty work done unless they can document the noise while its in their hands.

Looks like i will have to wait and try again once the sound comes back... ughh... well at least i got to get a oil change in while it was there

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #21
CAL135i
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue 135i

Quote:

Padlock - Not sure if you got this resolved, but I can echo Cradlerobber and say that I had the exact same sound in my '11 135i 6mt at 5500 miles. The fix was to replace the rear main seal as well. I too thought it was a belt. The dealer diagnosed and repaired it in a day, although in the process they knocked a vacuum line loose and I had to come back a second time to get that fixed.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
schmidi90
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Angry

finally i found the thread!

I have the same problem and they told me a the dealership this is normal i knew that this isn't normal.

What did they do at the dealership to fix this?

Maybe i try to go to other dealership since they won't do anything at the dealership next to me. I'd rather drive 1 hr to NC to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0