BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Advan's Cobb - Procede comparison (From E90Post)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674409

FYI if any of you guys are interested

Last edited by RaihaX; 04-10-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
wibbit
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Interesting, thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

that just seems stupid.. why not just.. make one that does the best of both? more boost at the start AND at the top?

this kinda weird tuning just confuses the crap out of me, it's like a massive waste of potential.

ED: so which one has more area under the curve though?

.. look slike the procede does, by a HUGE margin, due to the stronger low end?

though i guess for 'spirited driving' in the top half of the rev range, the cobb is more usable.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Although the COBB looks impressive and im sure it is the PROcede as adrian has stated in e90 has the capability to run whatever boost you desire. There is however a threshold or safety limit as to the daily driving of these cars. The Piggy's can be programmed to run a preset map to boost like the COBB but it's not how the DME is programmed from BMW. If you have a look at the stock boost curve of the N54 it will look just like the PROcede's curve therefore giving you optimum power within a safe measure.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
that just seems stupid.. why not just.. make one that does the best of both? more boost at the start AND at the top?

this kinda weird tuning just confuses the crap out of me, it's like a massive waste of potential.

ED: so which one has more area under the curve though?

.. look slike the procede does, by a HUGE margin, due to the stronger low end?

though i guess for 'spirited driving' in the top half of the rev range, the cobb is more usable.
There is more at stake hear than just the power. If all you were after was a good power curve then you would just pump up the boost everywhere. But as the tunes attempt to work around the limits of maintaining engine reliability with standard engine components they cannot do this.

In this case, the Procede has stage 0 maps for a stock car with catted DPs and stock FMIC etc. Therefore it reduces boost up top as the standard parts are restrictive, and although slightly more power can be made by increasing boost, the engine stress is increasing alot. The Cobb in this example is using stage 2 aggressive maps. These maps are for cars with decat DPs, FMIC, intake etc, which have better flow. Therefore these maps run more boost... but in this case the car is stock, so that extra boost has not yielded much extra power (8kW is not much for 1.5psi more boost). If both tunes were running the recommended maps for a stock car, the results would have been closer in peak power, with the Procede probably making the same advantage as these dynos down low as our tuning philosophy differs from Cobb in bottom end boost.

Either way, with the Procede you can tune the boost curve as you desire, and when Cobb ATP comes out it will also be able to do this.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
There is more at stake hear than just the power. If all you were after was a good power curve then you would just pump up the boost everywhere. But as the tunes attempt to work around the limits of maintaining engine reliability with standard engine components they cannot do this.

In this case, the Procede has stage 0 maps for a stock car with catted DPs and stock FMIC etc. Therefore it reduces boost up top as the standard parts are restrictive, and although slightly more power can be made by increasing boost, the engine stress is increasing alot. The Cobb in this example is using stage 2 aggressive maps. These maps are for cars with decat DPs, FMIC, intake etc, which have better flow. Therefore these maps run more boost... but in this case the car is stock, so that extra boost has not yielded much extra power (8kW is not much for 1.5psi more boost). If both tunes were running the recommended maps for a stock car, the results would have been closer in peak power, with the Procede probably making the same advantage as these dynos down low as our tuning philosophy differs from Cobb in bottom end boost.

Either way, with the Procede you can tune the boost curve as you desire, and when Cobb ATP comes out it will also be able to do this.
yeah, but, i was meaning.. it can get more power up top, so why not have the same power increase down low as the procede?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

I can't comment on why cobb did not offer the same power down low. I can say the Procede can be easily adjusted to match the Cobb power up high.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

I suppose you can always do that with ATP or even ATR when is released fairly soon.
Appreciate 0