BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Sunglasses Ron
Registered
Rep
Drives: CW Golf GTI Edition 30

Newbie Alert!!! Need to pick your brains guys please...

Afternoon chaps, newbie here and was hoping to get some advise from you all.
Currently drive a moddified Mk5 Golf GTI Edition 30 DSG which is due for change next March/April and i'm looking at going the 135i route (coupe).
My little dilema at the min is which one to go for, N54 or N55? I know they now have revised the engine (N55) and it is now a single turbo unit unlike the old twin turbo (N54). Do you know how the unit responds to modding/software etc compared with the old one? Have the likes of DMS/Evolve etc cracked the ECU on the new one yet, as I know BMW are becoming more and more crafty with the new ECUs (my old man's new 4.0d X5 for instance is becoming a pain in the ass, but DMS are about there).
I will more than likely be getting a 6 month old (ex demo/used), low mileage example (save a few quid) and i'm very keen on going down the DCT route which I believe is only available with the N55 car (hence all the questions about the new engine)?
I'm budgeting for around the 30-32k mark and would want a white car with xenons and DCT, with things like telematics etc. Found this the other day and dribbled for about 20 mins at it....

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2066404.htm

I want to try and keep the modding down to hopefully just software/map, but if my current car is anything to go by, I may end up on the slippery slope once again no doubt.. What is generally the next stage on from just the ecu map? Is it done in stages like they do with VAG cars?
Stage 1 - Map
Stage 2 - Turbo back exhaust + Map
Stage 2+/3 - HPFP, Intake, FMIC + Map
etc etc
Or is it a bit different with you guys?
I also like to do a bit of 1/4 mile sprinting (in road trim) and wanted to also know what sort of times each stage of tuning is capable of? I have seen quite a few Youtube vids of the 135's and know they can run seriously quick times when on slicks and Meth etc, but won't be going that mad So just wondered what times you mapped/chipped guys are running?

Sorry for all the questions and I have done some searches already, but I thought I would say hi and ask a few questions at the same time..

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

only the 2011+ cars have the DSC, however the 08-10 cars have a very fast shifting auto box (with buttons behind steering wheel) that didn't feel too far off from the unit in my moms VW EOS. It wouldn't be a bad way to go, but if you really want the DSG, you'll have to look at the newest cars.

The N55 Looks to be capable, but it is a little early in the game to tell if there's much juice to pull out of it. The N54 at this point seems to be running close to 400 whp consistantly and reliably (matter of opinion to some) But the magical part to our engines is the torque. if you have 400whp, you're looked at over 400ft-lbs of torgue.

A good starting point is a JB3 or Procede and an intake which can yeald some good numbers and give you a good fight with your traction control system. With these you'll be looking into the 50-80whp territory. Most people are happy with that.

after that, FMIC and downpipes are very common, and this will have you close to that 400whp mark with 94pump gas, full exhaust and meth will take you over it into the 410-425ish area, but you're also in that cross over zone of pump gas vs race gas.

if you don't want new wheels and tires, it's best to stop at just chip and intake. after that, you may as well start shopping for everything else, including a limited slip differential.

at that point, street tires are pretty useless

any more questions, head to the tuning section marked N54/N55
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Sunglasses Ron
Registered
Rep
Drives: CW Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
only the 2011+ cars have the DSC, however the 08-10 cars have a very fast shifting auto box (with buttons behind steering wheel) that didn't feel too far off from the unit in my moms VW EOS. It wouldn't be a bad way to go, but if you really want the DSG, you'll have to look at the newest cars.

The N55 Looks to be capable, but it is a little early in the game to tell if there's much juice to pull out of it. The N54 at this point seems to be running close to 400 whp consistantly and reliably (matter of opinion to some) But the magical part to our engines is the torque. if you have 400whp, you're looked at over 400ft-lbs of torgue.

A good starting point is a JB3 or Procede and an intake which can yeald some good numbers and give you a good fight with your traction control system. With these you'll be looking into the 50-80whp territory. Most people are happy with that.

after that, FMIC and downpipes are very common, and this will have you close to that 400whp mark with 94pump gas, full exhaust and meth will take you over it into the 410-425ish area, but you're also in that cross over zone of pump gas vs race gas.

if you don't want new wheels and tires, it's best to stop at just chip and intake. after that, you may as well start shopping for everything else, including a limited slip differential.

at that point, street tires are pretty useless

any more questions, head to the tuning section marked N54/N55

Cheers for that mate..
I have different wheels on my Golf at the min, but will more than likely just get the OEM ones sprayed black on the BM and leave it at that. Will also be on street tyres too.
Sounds like software and intakes are a definate, but may look at cat-less pipes too if they aren't silly money?
Also worth bearing in mind is that we run 99ron fuel over the pond (assuming the octane rating is the same?), so would that make much difference do you think?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunglasses Ron View Post
Cheers for that mate..
I have different wheel on my Golf at the min but will more than likely just get the OEM ones sprayed black and leave it at that. Will also be on street tyres too.
Sounds like software and intakes are a definate, but may look at cat-less pipes too if they aren't silly money?
Also worth bearing in mind is that we run 99ron fuel over the pond (assuming the octane rating is the same?), so would that make much difference do you think?
i think your 98 ron is closer to our 94 octane, i'm sure someone else will clarify that for us though.

the downpipes aren't badly priced in my opinion. But i'm pretty used to seeing prices like these as i've been tuning early on in a few cars so the parts have always been under development when i started.

you might be looking like 400 quid, but i haven't seen any british pricing on anything, but that would be pretty well converted from Canadian dollar. you guys might get stuff cheaper over there though.

I'm currently waiting on catless downpipes, they are supposed to make about a 30whp difference with the right tune. so for the money, they are a good purchase in my opinion. but nothing will beat the value of the tune on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

A lot of this has been covered in the past but the tuning of the N55 engine is still in the early stages. I have no doubt that the various tuners will unlock some solid power but we are currently waiting for the aftermarket companies to bring their products to market.

Also check the forums on E90Post for more N55 vs N54 info.

Btw, that's a beautiful car for sale on Pistonheads! I'd scoop that one up if you're able to. It's got a LOT of extras that you might end up paying a lot more for. I'm drooling over those seats alone!