BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #23
ramair311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ez3 View Post
Why?

(I just wanted to be shown)
X2 - show us why "!!!DO NOT EVER DRIVE YOUR CAR WITH THE DTC COMPLETELY OFF!!!" would be good advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #24
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I'm confused here... so pressing it once disables... stability control? Holding it disables traction control then?

Stability, I'm assuming, is a heavy computer involvement where as traction just keeps the tires from slipping?
      05-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #25
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

traction control? bah!

I am invincible!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #26
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Correct. Pressing it once disables stability control (DSC) and enables the traction control (DTC). Holding it down disables the DSC and DTC leaving only the eLSD to intervene.
      05-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #27
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Sorry if I'm taking this off-topic.. But I don't fully understand what DSC actually does. I assume DTC regulates power to the wheels, and DSC does.... what exactly?
      05-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #28
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Sorry if I'm taking this off-topic.. But I don't fully understand what DSC actually does. I assume DTC regulates power to the wheels, and DSC does.... what exactly?

Good question, Im a newbie when it comes to the BMW's myself the 1er is my first bmw, Its saying alot coming from a 98 acura legend coupe similar cockpits thou. yet I have done a lil research on the driver assist programs. I concluded that the DSC (dynamic stability control) it should enable on its own if you are in Snow/ice, very hazardous weather/road conditions or if your vechile gets sideways the wheels will re direct power to regain traction and get you pointed in the right direction. On a hot summer day do your self a favor and turn off DTC/DSC so you can get to know your vehicle better : )

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #29
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
DSC monitors the wheel speed of each wheel, the angle of the steering wheel, the yaw rate and linear acceleration of the car (and maybe even the tranverse acceleration too). The wheel speed sensors and linear accelerometer are already part of a car's ABS. Using the data from these sensors, the car can figure out when are going around a turn and begin to over or under steer. If you were skidding sideways, it would see that the car is rotating more or less that is expected given the steering wheel angle and wheel speed. The DSC then brakes the appropriate wheel (it controls each wheel independently) in order to correct the orientation of the car and regain control. DSC is really an amazing system and is made possible by sensitive accelerometers and fast microcontrollers that let the car calculate and correct driving errors in milliseconds. Just like how ABS doesn't actually let you stop faster, since DSC only applies brakes, it doesn't actually let you go faster through turns. It just helps correct you when you do go too fast.

DTC is a little different. You can think of it as the opposite of ABS. ABS notices when your car is decelerating but the wheels aren't spinning and thus you are skidding. It then pulses the brakes to let the wheels rotate so you can regain grip. Traction control is the opposite. It notices when one or both of your wheels is spinning because it has lost grip when accelerating and brakes that wheel so you can regain grip. This is useful for accelerating on icy or slippery surfaces just like ABS is useful for stopping on such surfaces. Unlike ABS, traction control isn't really a feature that a driver could implement himself unless maybe he had two brake pedals that independently controlled each rear wheel. DSC would require 4 brake pedals and 4 feet.
      05-17-2008, 12:10 AM   #30
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

thread bookmarked. I get my 135i next week and I'm already counting down every minute.

it's going to be a long six days.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #31
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
--informative post here--

Nice.. thanks for the explanation!
      05-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #32
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
DSC would require 4 brake pedals and 4 feet.

This sounds like what happens when I go driving with my wife in the car....

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 01:34 AM   #33
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Hey gio,

Thanks for taking the time to explain the two systems. I deactivate both only when it is time to play, which, unfortunately, is not very often.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #34
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

How do you re-activate both after turning both off? I did this with my 330xi and they would not come back on. Had to turn the car off and start again. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 02:05 AM   #35
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizall View Post
How do you re-activate both after turning both off? I did this with my 330xi and they would not come back on. Had to turn the car off and start again. Thanks.
You may well have answered your own question.:iono:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #36
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

I would think holding it down for 5secs or what not would turn both back on or hitting it once. Turning the car off and back on just doesn't seem logical, but then again.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #37
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I was sold on DSC the first time I had it in the snow. With it turned off, the car was all over the place. With DSC on, the car would stop sliding when I turned. So now picture this, you are driving along on dry roads and a deer runs out in front of you. You swerve to miss the deer and the DSC activates and controls the skid/slide. Without it you most likely at minimum would have spun out. So for everyday driving I keep DSC activated just in case someone pulls out in front of me of an animal runs in front of me.

BTW I have DSC on my 4x4 Tacoma and have done testing on ice and snow with 4WD engaged (DSC gets turned off in 4WD). I went up to 30 mph and turned the steering wheel hard. The truck would slide around about 270 deg. Same test as above but no 4WD engaged but DSC is on. When I turned the steering wheel hard, the back end kicked out a little and DSC activates . the truck would slide about 15 deg. I used to drive on snow with 4WD on for safety but now I do not use 4WD on snow covered roads unless I need the traction.
      05-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #38
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Simply pressing the button while in either DTC mode, or DSC off mode returns the car to full DSC Active status.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #39
carguymo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I would highly recommend attending a BMWCCA driver school. Let them teach you how to drive with the electronic watchdogs on AND off. That way if any or all of your electronic alphabet soup is of and/or malfunctioning and you have to dodge a critter, a pedestrian, or a Dodge you'll know what to do!:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #40
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

This is the demo they had us do at the PCD.
  1. Find wet road. Like parking lot.
  2. Turn off all DTC.
  3. Start off slowly, step on gas as you turn. Do doughnuts in the lot.
  4. Turn on all DTC.
  5. Start off slowly, step on gas as you turn. Cannot make car come loose. Drove round and round at 40 mph in the wet.
This will give you a hands on demo of what DTC really does. Oh by the way, it is much bette than the old DSC in the E46.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #41
ramair311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansun View Post
!!!DO NOT EVER DRIVE YOUR CAR WITH THE DTC COMPLETELY OFF!!!

Ask me why and ill show you.
I guess he didn't want to show us what this compelling reason was.........
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #42
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I dont think you can turn off the "eLSD" function manually with the button.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #43
skylightguy
Rep
Drives:

When you start your car the DSC system is fully on. If you get the car into an oversteer situation the car will apply brakes to any of the wheels to help stop the rotation. The system will ALSO pull throttle from you ,even if you are asking for full throttle, until grip is regained. This system has reduced single vehicle accidents by more than 50%.

When you reach up and press and release the DTC button for a moment you will see DTC on the instrument panel. What you have done is placed a "soft defeat" on the system. The DSC is still on but it is less intrusive or limited.
The car will now allow you to rotate the car a little more before it comes on.
It will also allow more wheelspin. The car will still apply brakes for you if you rotate or oversteer more than the car deems "in control". The car will still pull throttle from you as well.

If you reach up and hold the DTC for about four(4) full seconds you will see a warning sign on your instrument cluster with about a 3/4 circle around it.
You have now turned the Dynamic Stability Control system complete off and the cars computer will not intervene in any way.

You can turn the system back on by pressing the DTC button again or by turning off the car. You can do this while moving or at a standstill.

This applies to all late model BMW vehicles except for M models. In the
M 3,5,6 you have it either on or off by pressing the button, unless you have MDM "M Dynamic Mode" which is the equivalent of the soft defeat or intermediate setting. In the Z4M it is either on or off. On the new M3 it depends on your car as to whether you have MDM or not. If you have MDM you will have a button on your steering wheel with a M and a circle around it. Once again, depends on the car. 6 speed M5 and M6 2007 models you could not turn the DSC off. Had to be a SMG model.

Just remember, with the system completely off you are responsible for your own actions like cars of old. That being said, the car cannot defy the laws of physics, as good as the system is you cannot take your car into a 20 mph corner at 100 mph and expect the system to save you.

Ray
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 12:59 AM   #44
CarolinaDawgs
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylightguy View Post
When you start your car the DSC system is fully on. If you get the car into an oversteer situation the car will apply brakes to any of the wheels to help stop the rotation. The system will ALSO pull throttle from you ,even if you are asking for full throttle, until grip is regained. This system has reduced single vehicle accidents by more than 50%.

When you reach up and press and release the DTC button for a moment you will see DTC on the instrument panel. What you have done is placed a "soft defeat" on the system. The DSC is still on but it is less intrusive or limited.
The car will now allow you to rotate the car a little more before it comes on.
It will also allow more wheelspin. The car will still apply brakes for you if you rotate or oversteer more than the car deems "in control". The car will still pull throttle from you as well.

If you reach up and hold the DTC for about four(4) full seconds you will see a warning sign on your instrument cluster with about a 3/4 circle around it.
You have now turned the Dynamic Stability Control system complete off and the cars computer will not intervene in any way.

You can turn the system back on by pressing the DTC button again or by turning off the car. You can do this while moving or at a standstill.

This applies to all late model BMW vehicles except for M models. In the
M 3,5,6 you have it either on or off by pressing the button, unless you have MDM "M Dynamic Mode" which is the equivalent of the soft defeat or intermediate setting. In the Z4M it is either on or off. On the new M3 it depends on your car as to whether you have MDM or not. If you have MDM you will have a button on your steering wheel with a M and a circle around it. Once again, depends on the car. 6 speed M5 and M6 2007 models you could not turn the DSC off. Had to be a SMG model.

Just remember, with the system completely off you are responsible for your own actions like cars of old. That being said, the car cannot defy the laws of physics, as good as the system is you cannot take your car into a 20 mph corner at 100 mph and expect the system to save you.

Ray
Great info,:w00t::w00t: Thanks for your imput
Appreciate 0