BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
JustSomeDude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Garage List
Removing amber sides of headlights

Hey guys, new to the 1-Series (and BMW in general). I was wondering how easy it is to delete the amber reflectors/lights in the headlamps? Is it a take apart and remove job, or is there a euro lamp or aftermarket set that just doesn't have it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

They can't be removed (one piece units), and there are no aftermarket ones - anyone producing illegal lamps and selling them in the USA can be fined huge $$$ by the NHSTA. Amber reflectors are required in the USA, although they don't have to be integrated into the headlamps, as long as they are visible from the front and sides, and must meet certain standareds for luminescence.

Los Angeles Times article
Quote »
"Auto Products Wholesaler Fined $650,000
By John O'Dell, Times Staff Writer
A Southland auto accessories company has been fined $650,000 for selling thousands of substandard taillight assemblies popular with younger motorists, federal regulators said Friday.
American Products Co. of Corona is a major wholesale supplier of customizing and performance products to retailers including Pep Boys, Auto Zone and JCWhitney.com.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said late Friday that American Products had sold various models of replacement taillights with clear lenses or lens covers that failed to comply with federal safety standards.
American Products President Brian Torres said the $140-million-a-year company was targeted by regulators because it's the largest in a rapidly growing field. Some of the products were purchased from overseas suppliers, he said, and others "were manufactured under our interpretation" of regulations "that are 20 and 30 years old. Unfortunately, NHTSA challenged those interpretations."
In its statement, NHTSA said some of the company's taillight models were missing required side marker lamps or reflectors, and others replaced red lamps and reflectors with clear ones. In most cases, state and federal regulations require red automotive taillights.
American Products also sold "other noncompliant replacement lighting equipment" including clear corner and bumper lenses and kits to convert stock headlamps to brighter high-intensity discharge lamp systems, the agency said. NHTSA said it has ordered recalls of thousands of American Products parts since 1999. Information about the recalls can be found online at http://www.nhtsa.gov . Motorists with questions can call NHTSA's toll-free hotline, (888) 327-4236.

You could buy Euro versions - for about $1,200 each side.

Last edited by Lester; 07-19-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
bmore135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

i have one spare headlight i will be baking in the next month and playing around with modding a stock xenon light. i will post results once i get around to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

From what I've read, it's near impossible to remove the amber, due to the difficulty of opening up the headlight. However, Bavarian X has been able to modify headlights, and the results can be seen here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523463

Otherwise your options are pretty much euro headlights and not much else.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Good lord ppl, why is it some of you feel its necessary to go to such lengths to get rid of the damn amber??? It doesnt look that bad!

Christ I see pretty much every single other car I pass while driving and note that their lights and tailights looks like cheap ass compared to mine. I kind of like the euro ones, but theres no way in hell im gonna spend thousands of dollars just to get rid of the orange..

Honestly, just be glad our lights dun look like theyre off a damn Kia or chevy or some other piece of shit car
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

It is amusing what we do to our cars. I have no doubt that, if the car came with clear lenses, half of you would be asking how to make them amber. Not a dig - I do it too. I guess we all just want to be unique.
      07-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Same as above +1...everyone has a right to do with it as they wish, but frankly IMO, the amber looks really nice against most colors...red?? maybe not. BUT if...if someone can spot me in the evening because those ambers were lit up...I shall rejoice. The eye catches the color change...nice thot actually.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I especially like the amber on Black. The deeper and richer the amber, the nicer it is. Who wants wahsed out clear reflectors?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
JustSomeDude
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's funny. I see people getting rid of the amber side markers on their cars here in the U.S., and when in Europe, I see them wanting to add the amber side markers!

I'm only a fan of the amber against the AW and the blue colors, not so much with the black. It's actually perfectly legal in some States to remove the amber reflectors, as long as your signal lights are amber in color. I'd figure that Cali wasn't one of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by y-Bobby View Post
.... It's actually perfectly legal in some States to remove the amber reflectors, as long as your signal lights are amber in color.
US DOT requires amber reflectors in the front and red reflectors in the rear on all motor vehicles. If you remove the amber reflectors that are integrated into the headlamp assembly, then you would have to stick amber refllectors that meet DOT specifications somewhere on the front of the car. They have to be visible from the front and sides. I can't imagine any state passing legislation that differs from US DOT and NHSTA rules and regulations.

European DIN Headlamps are not legal in the USA. They are allowed in Canada under a special exemption. otherwise Canada DOT pretty much follows US DOT.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
JustSomeDude
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
True story. Guess I'm just used to living in Florida where the LEOs don't care so much about DOT regs. Hopefully, NM is the same. I'll just tell them it's a Euro-spec vehicle. LoL
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
You usually wont get tagged in GA unless the COP wants to be an ass
      07-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
US DOT requires amber reflectors in the front and red reflectors in the rear on all motor vehicles. If you remove the amber reflectors that are integrated into the headlamp assembly, then you would have to stick amber refllectors that meet DOT specifications somewhere on the front of the car. They have to be visible from the front and sides. I can't imagine any state passing legislation that differs from US DOT and NHSTA rules and regulations.

European DIN Headlamps are not legal in the USA. They are allowed in Canada under a special exemption. otherwise Canada DOT pretty much follows US DOT.
The amber reflectors are not required in Illinois. What is mandatory, if you remove the reflector(s) or amber side marker, is an amber light. I know b/c I researched this as I replaced the amber side markers of my old 328 with smoked side markers. I also covered the amber portion of the headlight covers. I believe each State has their own codes regarding automobile light restrictions.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 01:27 AM   #14
Dgbaccash
Cadet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite BMW 135i

http://www.bimmian.com/82/HRC/
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
The amber reflectors are not required in Illinois. What is mandatory, if you remove the reflector(s) or amber side marker, is an amber light. I know b/c I researched this as I replaced the amber side markers of my old 328 with smoked side markers. I also covered the amber portion of the headlight covers. I believe each State has their own codes regarding automobile light restrictions.
Hmmm - it seems to state that you meed both. Amber lights and amber reflectors. This is consistant with NHSTA and DOT. It would seem inconsistant for any State to not be in compliance with Federal regulations, unless you plan just to drive in one state.

....shall display on the front of the vehicle 2 yellow or amber lights, one on each upper front corner of the vehicle, which shall be plainly visible at a distance of at least 500 feet......
....shall display on each side of the vehicle, not more than 12 inches from the front, one amber tinted reflector, and not more than 12 inches from the rear one red reflector....

Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5 Illinois Vehicle Code. Section 12-202
(625 ILCS 5/12-202) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-202)
Sec. 12-202. Clearance, identification and side marker lamps.
(a) Every motor vehicle of the second division, the length of which together with any trailer or trailers in tow thereof, is more than 25 feet or the width of which is more than 80 inches exclusive of mirrors, bumpers and other required safety devices, while being operated on the highways of this State during the period from sunset to sunrise, shall display on the front of the vehicle 2 yellow or amber lights, one on each upper front corner of the vehicle, which shall be plainly visible at a distance of at least 500 feet; also on the rear thereof in a horizontal line, 3 red lights plainly visible at a distance of not less than 500 feet; also on the front of the body of that vehicle near the lower left hand corner one yellow or amber tinted reflector, and near the lower right hand corner one yellow or amber tinted reflector; also red reflectors on the rear of the body of that vehicle, not more than 12 inches from the lower left and right hand corners. All motor vehicles of the second division more than 20 feet long, and all trailers and semitrailers, except trailers and semitrailers having a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less including the weight of the trailer and maximum load, while being operated on the highways of this State during the period from sunset to sunrise, shall display on each side of the vehicle at approximately the one-third points of the length of the same, at a height not exceeding 5 feet above the surface of the road, and reflecting on a line approximately at right angles to the center line of the vehicle, 2 amber tinted reflectors. After January, 1974, all new motor vehicles of the second division more than 20 feet long, and all trailers and semitrailers except trailers and semitrailers having a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less including the weight of the trailer and maximum load sold as new in this State, while being operated on the highways of this State during period from sunset to sunrise, shall display on each side of the vehicle, not more than 12 inches from the front, one amber tinted reflector, and not more than 12 inches from the rear one red reflector at a height not exceeding 5 feet above the surface of the road, and reflecting on a line approximately at right angles to the center line of the vehicle, approved by the Department.
(b) Every trailer and semitrailer having a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less including the weight of the trailer and maximum load, towed either by a motor vehicle of the first division or a motor vehicle of the second division shall be equipped with 2 red reflectors, which will be visible when hit by headlight beams 300 feet away at night, on the rear of the body of such trailer, not more than 12 inches from the lower left hand and lower right hand corners.
(c) Every vehicle designated in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Section that is manufactured after December 31, 1973, shall, at the places and times specified in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Section, display reflectors and clearance, identification, and side marker lamps in conformance with the specifications prescribed by the Department.
(Source: P.A. 78-1297.)

Last edited by Lester; 07-31-2011 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #16
JustSomeDude
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgbaccash View Post
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
dsc201knoc
thatbimmerguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 ///M3, 97 ///M3, 08 2002

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Hmmm - it seems to state that you meed both. Amber lights and amber reflectors. This is consistant with NHSTA and DOT. It would seem inconsistant for any State to not be in compliance with Federal regulations, unless you plan just to drive in one state.

....shall display on the front of the vehicle 2 yellow or amber lights, one on each upper front corner of the vehicle, which shall be plainly visible at a distance of at least 500 feet......
....shall display on each side of the vehicle, not more than 12 inches from the front, one amber tinted reflector, and not more than 12 inches from the rear one red reflector....

Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5 Illinois Vehicle Code. Section 12-202
(625 ILCS 5/12-202) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-202)
Sec. 12-202. Clearance, identification and side marker lamps.
(a) Every motor vehicle of the second division, the length of which together with any trailer or trailers in tow thereof, is more than 25 feet or the width of which is more than 80 inches exclusive of mirrors, bumpers and other required safety devices, while being operated on the highways of this State during the period from sunset to sunrise, shall display on the front of the vehicle 2 yellow or amber lights, one on each upper front corner of the vehicle, which shall be plainly visible at a distance of at least 500 feet; also on the rear thereof in a horizontal line, 3 red lights plainly visible at a distance of not less than 500 feet; also on the front of the body of that vehicle near the lower left hand corner one yellow or amber tinted reflector, and near the lower right hand corner one yellow or amber tinted reflector; also red reflectors on the rear of the body of that vehicle, not more than 12 inches from the lower left and right hand corners. All motor vehicles of the second division more than 20 feet long, and all trailers and semitrailers, except trailers and semitrailers having a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less including the weight of the trailer and maximum load, while being operated on the highways of this State during the period from sunset to sunrise, shall display on each side of the vehicle at approximately the one-third points of the length of the same, at a height not exceeding 5 feet above the surface of the road, and reflecting on a line approximately at right angles to the center line of the vehicle, 2 amber tinted reflectors. After January, 1974, all new motor vehicles of the second division more than 20 feet long, and all trailers and semitrailers except trailers and semitrailers having a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less including the weight of the trailer and maximum load sold as new in this State, while being operated on the highways of this State during period from sunset to sunrise, shall display on each side of the vehicle, not more than 12 inches from the front, one amber tinted reflector, and not more than 12 inches from the rear one red reflector at a height not exceeding 5 feet above the surface of the road, and reflecting on a line approximately at right angles to the center line of the vehicle, approved by the Department.
(b) Every trailer and semitrailer having a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less including the weight of the trailer and maximum load, towed either by a motor vehicle of the first division or a motor vehicle of the second division shall be equipped with 2 red reflectors, which will be visible when hit by headlight beams 300 feet away at night, on the rear of the body of such trailer, not more than 12 inches from the lower left hand and lower right hand corners.
(c) Every vehicle designated in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Section that is manufactured after December 31, 1973, shall, at the places and times specified in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Section, display reflectors and clearance, identification, and side marker lamps in conformance with the specifications prescribed by the Department.
(Source: P.A. 78-1297.)
So what your saying is that cigarettes do cause cancer?!?!?!?

The government policy on lighting and modification to your vehicle is usually well known. 90 percent of the modifications put on cars are usually illegal to a point. Most police officers have better things to do then bother people about clear corner lamps. The government strives off of people doing things that are illegal. The "government" found a way to make a little money, when cities are going bankrupt the next best thing is to sue a company for making non DOT compliant parts.

Just like tint tickets. speeding tickets, moving violations, with enough money anything can go away.... Thats when we learn its not about safety, its about money.

There isnt good money in murder, thats why cops are busy out giving moving violations, while the corporate banker is around the corner killing his family and himself because he went bankrupt..

But these are all my opinions... Good Day

135 For Sale
Parts Feeler
LET THE EAST COAST PLAY TOO!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #18
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
Looks like we had a lot of attorney wanna be in here who just wants to argue their case even if it's out of the topic already. The OP just wants to know if it's easy to delete the amber or if there's an aftermarket ones that are available. The answer is, not easy and yes there's an aftermarket euro headlights available. End of the story!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc201knoc View Post

Just like tint tickets. speeding tickets, moving violations, with enough money anything can go away.... Thats when we learn its not about safety, its about money.
After the Southland fine and Gibson Guitar raid one has to seriously consider whether there is another game afoot that is not about money.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
dsc201knoc
thatbimmerguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 ///M3, 97 ///M3, 08 2002

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtyp3 View Post
Looks like we had a lot of attorney wanna be in here who just wants to argue their case even if it's out of the topic already. The OP just wants to know if it's easy to delete the amber or if there's an aftermarket ones that are available. The answer is, not easy and yes there's an aftermarket euro headlights available. End of the story!
Glad you wanted to pop in and get the 5 mins of fame with another lack of contribution to the topic.

So.... I fix headlights in my off time and it is a pain but not impossible. It is not as easy as lets say e36/e46 lights but it is manageable. Second bit of advise dont go aftermarket.

Also im not sure about the 1 series but with the e90, the aftermarket lights are designed after the halogen lights which means the reflectors are not freely interchangeable with the xenon lights. Yes, the reflectors on the halogen light and xenon light are different (they have different shapes and mounting points) What this means is that you cant buy a set of aftermarket lights and pull the clear reflectors out and install them in a OEM Xenon set of lights; however, it is possible to take the reflectors out of a aftermarket set of lights and put them in an oem set of halogens (I have done this on a e90 when i had extra lights and i was bored)

the only real options you have when taking the light apart and removing the reflector is either wrapping in vinyl, painting it to color match or tinting it.

The whole process can be done in one day but be prepared. The heat of the oven is just so the plastic does not crack when you are bending it out of the way, the adhesive does not really soften with the heat. you have to scrape that with a razor or a cutting device of your choosing. Be careful not to cut through the outer part of the headlight assembly it will be soft. It will eventually get the lens loose enough you can pull the lens off. seal it with black flexible sealant, the clear looks cheap and stands out in comparison to oem.

Most people charge about 150 a light to take apart and repair. A set of German Scheinwerfer 1er akl can be sourced for about $500 a set if you look in the right spots. Eyebrow New Style lights can be sourced for 1500 a set. NEW OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JejuneLegume View Post
After the Southland fine and Gibson Guitar raid one has to seriously consider whether there is another game afoot that is not about money.
Dont get me wrong cops to protect and serve, but that is second to fund raisers for the localities. If it wasnt true you wouldnt be able to get a speeding ticket reduced to improper equipment (Higher fine, no points) or there wouldnt be a line of officers on the road around a bend with another cop on the overpass radar gunning people over and over again.

Hopefully i was able to help and piss people off at the same time.. G'Day

I just read the gibson guitar thing?!?!? what does that have to do with anything? Maybe... the government wants to control everything.. Is this a dig'm statue? who cares what wood is being used in guitars? Illegally used Indian wood to make guitars Im supposed to be worried about this

Southland Fine? The Hospital thing in Cali a few years back? Dig'm Statue.

135 For Sale
Parts Feeler
LET THE EAST COAST PLAY TOO!!!

Last edited by dsc201knoc; 09-05-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #21
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

LOL @ the people here trying to argue case. who cares. a local police officer won't notice anything. IMO, the amber corners are the UGLIEST part of the whole vehicle.

Obviously your best bet is to buy EURO spec, LCI headlights (LCI = facelift w/ upper LED strip)

Now, you CAN take the headlights apart. It's not 'that' easy, but it is not the hardest thing in the world. ppl on here probably have never worked on their res apart from the occasional oil change or applying some stickers. I've taken plenty of headlights apart. The hardest new are VW/Audi because they're lenses do not snap on, they are molded in with a windshield seal that sits in bedded in a grove. You have to heat it up with a heat gun, work your way into it. Once you're done there will be a shit load of that windshield seal stil in there. so you will have to scrape all of that out to make room for the new seal. that's really the hardest part.

I'm looking in this this to mine, getting rid of the amber corners to replace them with clear ones. I also want to put in a real LED strip forth angle eyes. Not 1/or 2 LEDs illuminating the whole ring like LUX..
Appreciate 0