BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

BMW Protocol - Must be at dealership to sign papers?

I have a 1M coming in about 3 weeks that I ordered from a dealership up north (12hr+ drive). At the time of purchase the salesman said that all the paperwork would be handled through a 3rd party just like they do with all long distance sales. Now he is saying that I must be there in person to sign the paperwork. I can then either drive the car back or ship it at that point. I don't really feel like driving that far back in November when the streets may or may not be iced over and/or salted. I'm also a little peeved that I now have to spend $$ on airfare when originally everything could be done via fax or email. Is the dealership full of it or is this really protocol?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

All my paperwork handled via FedEx overnight. I did PCD, but bought out of state and never was requested to meet F2F. Laws may vary by state, I did have to explain to the bank an out of state car loan, for security purposes.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

+1 FedEx
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I did my via FedEx as well. I'm pretty sure as long as you provide a signature affidavit, there should be no issue.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

As long as the signatures are notarized, I see no reason why they cannot do it through the mail.
      10-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

mine was handled via FEDEX and I signed the docs in front of a notary. I then did Euro Delivery.
When i picked up the car from the dealer, all they did was hand me a key and take a photo out front.
if you are not going to receive the car at the dealer.. are you having it shipped or another person picking it up?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
oldBMWguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M [Finally !]

I bought mine from a dealer in SC-- had it delivered to the PC for pick-up. Everything was handled by FedEx----- BUT I paid cash... he told me that if I was financing it thru BMW I would have to sign the papers in person at the dealer. Maybe that is also your situation ??
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Same issue here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I have a 1M coming in about 3 weeks that I ordered from a dealership up north (12hr+ drive). At the time of purchase the salesman said that all the paperwork would be handled through a 3rd party just like they do with all long distance sales. Now he is saying that I must be there in person to sign the paperwork. I can then either drive the car back or ship it at that point. I don't really feel like driving that far back in November when the streets may or may not be iced over and/or salted. I'm also a little peeved that I now have to spend $$ on airfare when originally everything could be done via fax or email. Is the dealership full of it or is this really protocol?
SloPoke:
I had a similar agreement with my dealer and then they backed out and demanded I be at the dealership to sign papers and pick up the car. I tried getting help from BMW of NA however they do not have control over the dealers policy since they are privately owned. Then my dealer told me another reason I had to be there was to protect them for selling a car to someone who would illegally ship it out of the country. After several calls I realized that my dealer wanted to try and get me to finance, or buy optional coverage, in the end I realized that I'm lucky to have 1M and that the inconvienience of picking it up was far better than not having the car. The dealers set their own rules and since you're buying from out of town they know they'll never see you again. Be happy you're getting a 1M, that's how I'm looking at it.

Last edited by ESC OFF; 10-19-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After speaking to the dealer, he did say that he could fedex the papers to my local dealer. He then said that they would like me out there and that they would fly me out and pick me up at the airport. I can then drive the car home. I'm now thinking it will be fun to have a 1000 mile road trip down the east coast. Plus this will save me $800 on private transport.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
After speaking to the dealer, he did say that he could fedex the papers to my local dealer. He then said that they would like me out there and that they would fly me out and pick me up at the airport. I can then drive the car home. I'm now thinking it will be fun to have a 1000 mile road trip down the east coast. Plus this will save me $800 on private transport.

they are going to PAY to fly you out there? Something smells here.. I am betting dollars to donuts that flight doesn't get paid for once a Sales Manager hears about it.. why would they do such a thing? Maybe they want traffic on the floor until you get there... that's the only thing I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
A guess a PCD redirect is probably out of the question, although it's a heckuva alot closer to you.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Chill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

I'm in the same boat and will be flying to Witchita kansas to sign paperwork and take delivery next month. I will then put the car on a transporter and fly home. The CA told me I had to be there to accept the vehicle. Just booked my flight.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

No such thing as a free lunch

Quote:
Do you have an agreed upon price and solid sales contract?? Something seems strange with that free flight offer. Make sure your car is not going to be driven, and demand a photograph of the mileage upon delivery. Mine was delivered to the dealer with 4 miles on it, I expect no more that 5 or 6 total miles on it when I pick it up tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
A guess a PCD redirect is probably out of the question, although it's a heckuva alot closer to you.
I doubt if one could be scheduled so near delivery??
      10-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
spoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1///m

I had to go in person also. I just got back from Savoy Illinois 800 miles and it was great .The car is fantastic to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Quote:
Do you have an agreed upon price and solid sales contract?? Something seems strange with that free flight offer. Make sure your car is not going to be driven, and demand a photograph of the mileage upon delivery. Mine was delivered to the dealer with 4 miles on it, I expect no more that 5 or 6 total miles on it when I pick it up tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
I doubt if one could be scheduled so near delivery??
Yes I have an agreed upon price on a signed sales agreement. The plane ticket is only about $170 so thy are not out much. I am already financing through BMWNA so its not like they have to sell me on that either. I'm not sure if they do have an angle here.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #16
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

SloPoke... 1000 miles? you'd be up in my neighborhood. Where did you buy it?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #17
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
SloPoke... 1000 miles? you'd be up in my neighborhood. Where did you buy it?
Bridgeport
Appreciate 0