BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

Notchy shifting into 1st gear. Any Ideas?

I've noticed lately that when I start my car in the morning and pull away that shifting into first gear seems a bit notchy…kind of like shifting through Cartilage. It clicks three times as I put it up into the gear. I don't need to force it but it seems to require more pressure than the other gears which are easy. This notchy-ness goes away after the car is totally warmed up and I make my first stop for coffee. Any ideas what this might be..is it normal or should I have it looked at? Taking car in Wed for all new fluids.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 04:48 AM   #2
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Mine is exactly the same, a little resistant to move through the gate when cold, but when she's warm.......teflon....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 04:51 AM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Mine was like that at around 20K Kms, then had the gearbox oil changed, and what a difference it made.

Plus, I find shifting from 1st to 2nd at around 3.5K rpm will also help.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 05:25 AM   #4
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Per my previous post on this subject, (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1044449) I am a little bit worried about these 1M gearboxes. I've tried changing the fluids, etc, but I fear they gearboxes may be prone to becoming notchy early in their life . . . maybe to do with the high level of engine torque?

Hope I'm wrong, but my gearbox definitely isn't as "hot knife through butter" smooth as it was when I first got the car (and I treat it very, very gently).

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

I think it has to do with wear of the syncros, most apparent in 1st and 2nd gear.

My 2011 135i (same tranny) has 72,000Kms and does this. I change my transmission fluid 2-3 times a year, and use a DIMPLE magnetic drain plug. I track the car a lot, where I mainly use 3-4-5th gears. I allways baby the 1st + 2nd gears, and not into drag racing or dropping the clutch.

Have you removed the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve)? Have you installed stiffer transmission bushings? These will help with the more precise and rapid engagements. The DIMPLE drain plug will help accumulate metal shavings, slowing down the accelerated wear...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive
Per my previous post on this subject, (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1044449) I am a little bit worried about these 1M gearboxes. I've tried changing the fluids, etc, but I fear they gearboxes may be prone to becoming notchy early in their life . . . maybe to do with the high level of engine torque?

Hope I'm wrong, but my gearbox definitely isn't as "hot knife through butter" smooth as it was when I first got the car (and I treat it very, very gently).
you've changed transmission fluid recently then?

I have 62k miles on my 1M and no issues at all with notchiness. Am very aggressive about changing transmission fluid every 20-25k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Changing the fluid on my 13 135 (same tranny as 1M) to Redline MTL helped a bunch. Have tried new OE MTF-LT-5, Redline D4 and now MTL. (have changed the fluid 6 or 7 times now)

Had to change it a second time a couple thousand k later to make sure all the old stuff was out.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #8
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Changing the fluid on my 13 135 (same tranny as 1M) to Redline MTL helped a bunch. Have tried new OE MTF-LT-5, Redline D4 and now MTL. (have changed the fluid 6 or 7 times now)

Had to change it a second time a couple thousand k later to make sure all the old stuff was out.
Been using D4 and synthetic equivalents for a while. I change my fluid as soon as I need more effort to shift the gears, perhaps every 2 months during the lapping season (April-October).

Been contemplating the thicker Redline MTL lately, especially for summer time and track abuse. I live in Quebec, Canada, and we see freezing weather at least 5 months a year. Im OK with the idea of using the thinner D4 for the winter months,

Would love to get your input on how different does the D4 and MTL fluids feal: cold versus warm tranny, street versus track use?
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 06-03-2015 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Been using D4 and synthetic equivalents for a while. I change my fluid as soon as I need more effort to shift the gears, perhaps every 2 months during the lapping season (April-October).

Been contemplating the thicker Redline MTL lately, especially for summer time and track abuse. I live in Quebec, Canada, and we see freezing weather at least 5 months a year. Im OK with the idea of using the thinner D4 for the winter months,

Would love to get your input on how different does the D4 and MTL fluids feal: cold versus warm tranny, street versus track use?
Well, I live in Ottawa, so I get the same weather. The MTL is a little thicker in the winter, just have to take your time shifting for the first 5 mins or so. The MTL just feels so much smoother. The D4 felt, gritty, in comparison, like it was too thin. The MTL just feels better the hotter it gets.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Well, I live in Ottawa, so I get the same weather. The MTL is a little thicker in the winter, just have to take your time shifting for the first 5 mins or so. The MTL just feels so much smoother. The D4 felt, gritty, in comparison, like it was too thin. The MTL just feels better the hotter it gets.
Thank you sir.

Will give the MTL fluid a try ...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
pyratp3t3r
Registered
Rep
Drives: VO 1M Coupe

I find the gearbox definitely improves when warmed up a little and definitely worse in cold weather. Rather embarrasingly I didn't figure out that the velcroed OEM floor mat was slowly sliding itself behind the clutch pedal and was causing slight clutch drag exacerbated when driving the car from cold. Every time I vacuumed the car I was resetting in position and not realising. So this weird intermittent notchy gearbox fault was the darn floormat. I preferred it when they clipped into buttons screwed to the floor. Now I make a point of rechecking. I think it must count as the cheapest ever fix to a gearbox/clutch issue...
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

Great info. I'm getting the tranny fluids changed next week. The car has 6500 miles on it so not much wear yet. I'll check the floor matt today just in case. I'm not sure the orig owner had any of the major fluids other than engine oil changed out…that could be the prob. I'll report back next week.

I'll check out the DIMPLE drain. Is that an aftermarket part or OEM?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

How does the shifter feel with the engine off(and putting it in 1st gear) Does it feel the same>?

It could also be a bad clutch not fully disengaging on the input shaft. First thing is to change the trans oil and check the linkage. Could also be a broken shift lever "cup" or "bearing". Its made from weak plastic and sits on top of the exhaust. It can get brittle with age. Only way to tell IF its broken is to replace it. Use some high temp grease like MSo2 (cv joint grease) inside of the cup.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom
I've noticed lately that when I start my car in the morning and pull away that shifting into first gear seems a bit notchykind of like shifting through Cartilage. It clicks three times as I put it up into the gear. I don't need to force it but it seems to require more pressure than the other gears which are easy. This notchy-ness goes away after the car is totally warmed up and I make my first stop for coffee. Any ideas what this might be..is it normal or should I have it looked at? Taking car in Wed for all new fluids.
New fluids help for a bit but what you describe is pretty normal. I recommend you stay with stock fluids. Best wishes.
Appreciate 0