BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #23
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkaia524 View Post

And dont drive the car -5K miles a year. These engines want to be used.
I do drive sometimes for the sake of going out and having a drive but this is moderately asinine comment.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #24
Allencic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

The St/G

400 km! Really? I'll bet you don't know anyone with a BMW of any model that's gone 400,000 km. I'd like to hear from anyone who has.

All you have to do is look at this enthusiast site to see that BMWs of any year or model have more serious problems than other makes like Acura, Lexus, or Infinity. I'm not saying that the makes are absolutely comparable in performace but it's obvious that while these other makes rarely or never break, BMWs do. Of course many BMW owners never have problems. I've never had a single problem with my 2011 (although it has developed an odd noise in the rear over juddering bumps). I'm lucky. Look at other enthusiast websites. They spend more time on what kind of wax to use or what sort of aftermarket wheels look best. This site spends a lot of time with problems like HP fuel pumps that other makes never have problems with. I've owned six Acuras and never had anything that required a trip to the dealer for repair. Nothing. Why should an expensive car like BMW not expect the same degree of reliability? I expect some will respond to this that mediocre reliability is the price to pay for great handling. Baloney.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #25
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allencic View Post
The St/G

400 km! Really? I'll bet you don't know anyone with a BMW of any model that's gone 400,000 km. I'd like to hear from anyone who has.

All you have to do is look at this enthusiast site to see that BMWs of any year or model have more serious problems than other makes like Acura, Lexus, or Infinity. I'm not saying that the makes are absolutely comparable in performace but it's obvious that while these other makes rarely or never break, BMWs do. Of course many BMW owners never have problems. I've never had a single problem with my 2011 (although it has developed an odd noise in the rear over juddering bumps). I'm lucky. Look at other enthusiast websites. They spend more time on what kind of wax to use or what sort of aftermarket wheels look best. This site spends a lot of time with problems like HP fuel pumps that other makes never have problems with. I've owned six Acuras and never had anything that required a trip to the dealer for repair. Nothing. Why should an expensive car like BMW not expect the same degree of reliability? I expect some will respond to this that mediocre reliability is the price to pay for great handling. Baloney.
I know plenty of people with milage like that. Hell, my old M3 ticked over 340k last I checked.

Remind me again what issues older BMWs had in terms of reliability? I completely agree the turbo generation has thrown that to the wind, but that isn't what I referenced.

And the notion that Japan is maintenance free is just silly. Tell that to the rust proofing. I would agree BMW owners are more likely to maintain their cars, but that comes with the mentality of the brand(car enthusiasts instead of badge enthusiasts).
      01-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #26
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

@Allencic

Currently, I have 332K kms on my '99 e39 535iA. It still runs like a top and doesn't burn ANY oil!

Name:  P1040863.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  99.2 KB

PS: Sorry OP for going OT.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #27
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
The St/G

Outside of the turbo realm, I think BMW's can be very reliable, if properly maintained. I think the biggest difference between a BMW and an Acura, is the BMW requires the owner to be more diligent with their maintenance, so the Bimmer definitely cost more to maintain. I've had Acura's as well, and they were very easy to maintain and I had zero problems. I expect the same from my NA BMW, just I know it will require more of my time to maintain it and it will cost more for each service.

PS - Don't forget, Acura's had transmission issues (5-speed autos) not too long ago, that required Honda to extend their warranties and replace a lot of tranny's.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #28
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
I've owned six Acuras and never had anything that required a trip to the dealer for repair. Nothing. Why should an expensive car like BMW not expect the same degree of reliability? I expect some will respond to this that mediocre reliability is the price to pay for great handling. Baloney.
I am an Acura tech. You have been VERY, VERY lucky.

Acuras share the same number of problems as I expect the BMW to have. Guess you have not owned any recent products? We have so many electrical issues these days it is getting rediculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #29
KNTDRV
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i SGM 6MT(gone now)

Dackelone....where are you driving that you can pin your speedo!
....ahhhh I see you're in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #30
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNTDRV View Post
Dackelone....where are you driving that you can pin your speedo!
....ahhhh I see you're in Germany.
Yup, Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #31
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yup, Germany.
I think what's most impressive is that that is on an auto. Generally they are the weak link for the higher mileage cars. Regular fluid swaps I assume?
      01-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I think what's most impressive is that that is on an auto. Generally they are the weak link for the higher mileage cars. Regular fluid swaps I assume?
Yes... Its a ZF five speed auto box. I really did not want an auto... but the deal on the car was too good to pass up and I fell in love with the red sport seats this car has! It's a baby 540i basically. Only a 3.5L V8, but it really pulls well. And it will red line each gear when you mash your right foot down! Love that it changes up from fourth to fifth at ~230kph!

I've raced e60 540i's and I am a little bit faster than them. I guess a light car with a good strong engine. I know my car's V-Max is 253 kph on my GPS(TomTom). My tuned 135i w/380 PS max's out around 294 kph. I have seen 283 kph but there was more left in the car... that was as fast as I felt comfortable driving it though.

I bought the car two years ago with 240K kms. The last owners all had changed the fluids( engine and diff). I changed the ATF myself when I first got it - along with the AT filter in the pan. Thats about it other than routine maintenance and a water pump. The car has lots of life left in her.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #33
Allencic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

All that I've been trying to say is I really enjoy my BMW but because of the brand's mediocre reliability I wouldn't take a chance on owning one out of its warranty period.

Google "BMW reliability". If you're lucky, you might get a good a trouble free one. Statistically BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, and VW just don't have great long term reliability records. And as too many know, when something breaks it's going to cost a ton to fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #34
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I think that BMWs are not the most reliable cars but they aren't as bad as some seem to think. You have to be careful about your data sources. Reports of problems in the internet are meaningless because you don't know the rate of the problem. All cars have issues. The issues with consumers reports in rating cars are well documented and have resulted in lawsuits. I like to look at TrueDelta and I report data to them. They track the number of repair trips per 100 cars per year. They also tell you what the trips were about. It is at least less subjective than any other data source I know of.

From that source, 2011 1 series are doing about as well as Accords and Camrys with 17 trips per 100 vehicles per year. They do not have enough 2010 vehicles to report results but 2008s are 62 (mid level), 2009s are 55, and 2012s are 30. 2008 Camrys are at 38. Audi A3s never get better than 34 and are as high as 75 in these years. Acura TSXs are no better than 25 and no worse than 55 in this time frame.

Overall, Camrys and Accords are clearly more reliable, the 38 is their worst with most years in the teens (as low as 11 for 2012 Accords). But 1 series are mid to good reliability cars. For higher volume vehicles, like BMW 3 series, you can see 328s versus 335s and last I looked 328s were more reliable. But for 1s they are lumped together to get enough to have meaningful data.

Before labeling BMWs as unreliable, you need to consider getting some data. I don't think the available information suggests they are either real good or real bad but they are probably closer to the good end. Certainly better than Audis. But within any brand, certain models and years are better or worse. Best to review the data on the vehicle you are considering.
      01-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #35
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes... Its a ZF five speed auto box. I really did not want an auto... but the deal on the car was too good to pass up and I fell in love with the red sport seats this car has! It's a baby 540i basically. Only a 3.5L V8, but it really pulls well. And it will red line each gear when you mash your right foot down! Love that it changes up from fourth to fifth at ~230kph!
Dack
You should try the 530i. Significantly lighter car(300-400lbs IIRC) and loads more steering feel thanks to rack and pinion instead of recirculating ball.

Quote:
All that I've been trying to say is I really enjoy my BMW but because of the brand's mediocre reliability I wouldn't take a chance on owning one out of its warranty period.

Google "BMW reliability". If you're lucky, you might get a good a trouble free one. Statistically BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, and VW just don't have great long term reliability records. And as too many know, when something breaks it's going to cost a ton to fix.
Statistically, your statistics aren't very strong.

Audis and VW are definitely crap for the long term. BMW and Mercedes(outside of the Chrysler era) are not. Part costs are the same when you compare OE to OE. Costs no more to change the brakes on my Silverado than it does my 1er. The difference is people put Pep Boys China junk on their domestic cars all the time.

Last edited by TheSt|G; 01-17-2014 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #36
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I think that BMWs are not the most reliable cars but they aren't as bad as some seem to think. You have to be careful about your data sources. Reports of problems in the internet are meaningless because you don't know the rate of the problem. All cars have issues. The issues with consumers reports in rating cars are well documented and have resulted in lawsuits. I like to look at TrueDelta and I report data to them. They track the number of repair trips per 100 cars per year. They also tell you what the trips were about. It is at least less subjective than any other data source I know of.

From that source, 2011 1 series are doing about as well as Accords and Camrys with 17 trips per 100 vehicles per year. They do not have enough 2010 vehicles to report results but 2008s are 62 (mid level), 2009s are 55, and 2012s are 30. 2008 Camrys are at 38. Audi A3s never get better than 34 and are as high as 75 in these years. Acura TSXs are no better than 25 and no worse than 55 in this time frame.

Overall, Camrys and Accords are clearly more reliable, the 38 is their worst with most years in the teens (as low as 11 for 2012 Accords). But 1 series are mid to good reliability cars. For higher volume vehicles, like BMW 3 series, you can see 328s versus 335s and last I looked 328s were more reliable. But for 1s they are lumped together to get enough to have meaningful data.

Before labeling BMWs as unreliable, you need to consider getting some data. I don't think the available information suggests they are either real good or real bad but they are probably closer to the good end. Certainly better than Audis. But within any brand, certain models and years are better or worse. Best to review the data on the vehicle you are considering.
One trend I've noticed on BMW's (at least last time I reviewed their reliability data), the last years of a model run were better (fewer defects/1000) than the early years. Electronics on German makes also tend to be a major source of trouble the last several years as well. Of course, this tends to be generally true on most makes/models. This was one reason why I chose to get the last year of the 1, along with fewer electronic add-ons (no Nav, no power seats/sunroof, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #37
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
One trend I've noticed on BMW's (at least last time I reviewed their reliability data), the last years of a model run were better (fewer defects/1000) than the early years. Electronics on German makes also tend to be a major source of trouble the last several years as well. Of course, this tends to be generally true on most makes/models. This was one reason why I chose to get the last year of the 1, along with fewer electronic add-ons (no Nav, no power seats/sunroof, etc.).
They also always offer the best options at the end of the model run as well. 318is, 330 ZHP, Imola sport E38, S54 Z3M, 3.8 E34 M5, Evo II/III E30 M3, Imola Individual E36 M3, and so on.
      01-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #38
KNTDRV
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i SGM 6MT(gone now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
They also always offer the best options at the end of the model run as well.
I've been very happy and surprised at how well my '08 128 6MT is handling the Canadian winter with snows. The car is still tight and has been problem free at ~72,000kms. I bought it with 57,000kms last May.
When it gets to a point when I'm ready to get rid of this one, I will seriously consider getting one of the last year runs.
Appreciate 0