BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Question Need help removing residue from matte wheels

I had an unfortunate "courtesy" car wash experience at the dealership. Some sort of product was applied to my matte black wheels that left a dried white residue. The manager of the car wash department says he thinks it was the degreaser/cleaner that they apply to the wheels but I am skeptical.

I have cleaned the wheels repeatedly (4X) with PS21 wheel cleaner, but the residue doesn't seem to be affected by the cleaner. However, vigorous rubbing of the residue with microfiber towels when drying the wheels has gotten most of it off. There are still some areas where the residue is very stubborn.

Anyone have any ideas on a product that is good at removing other product? I am concerned about doing anything that would damage the wheels.

I had something similar happen when I applied Poorboys wheel sealant. I may have let the product dry too long, but hand buffing out the pink haze from tha product was also a huge effort.

The attached photo was what the worst wheel looked like before I started cleaning.
Attached Images

08-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
SHFT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 6MT

Looks like they used an abrasive wheel acid that ate up your wheels finish ... if its gunky try to erase it off with a magic eraser or some tar remover spray GL.
      08-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

For quick cleanings and light protection I would normally recommend the Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer (MMD). Given your description this may not be enough so I'd recommend something a bit stronger that is still gentle like the P21S Total Auto Wash. Spray it on the face of the wheel or a microfiber towel and wipe with light pressure it should be able to remove those build ups.

Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHFT View Post
Looks like they used an abrasive wheel acid that ate up your wheels finish ... if its gunky try to erase it off with a magic eraser or some tar remover spray GL.
The wheel finish seems ok, as I have been able to remove 90% of the white stuff just by rubbing. You can see the residue on the microfiber towel. I like the magic eraser idea. I might try that after I use Greg's product suggestions in his response.
      09-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
For quick cleanings and light protection I would normally recommend the Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer (MMD). Given your description this may not be enough so I'd recommend something a bit stronger that is still gentle like the P21S Total Auto Wash. Spray it on the face of the wheel or a microfiber towel and wipe with light pressure it should be able to remove those build ups.

Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Greg, so once I am successful removing the residue with the PS21 Autowash, what is your recommendation for routine cleaning/protection of the wheels finish going forward? Meticulous Matte or PS21 wheel cleaner or other? I am using OEM brake pads so dust is heavy, but the dust build-up doesn't bother me and I don't wash the car that frequently.

Any real protection benefit for the wheels in using the Poorboy wheel sealant? Getting if off once it dried to a haze was difficult on my wheels, I assume because of the matte finish.

Also, I have BMW black leather interior that has never been cleaned or conditioned. No issues, but just want to give it the benefit of some treatment. Don't want to use anything that will add shine or be slippery, just clean and condition. Product recommendations?

My order pending your reply. Thanks!

Last edited by Pablito1702; 09-01-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I just got a used 135i w/ matte black CSL rep wheels. Should I tell dealer not to wash it next time I bring it in? You got me worried now.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Don't ever let them wash it...they scratch the hell out of your finish. Even the brand new 2013 cars on the lot are covered in swirls! Forget the CPO cars on the lot...they have horrific Holograms and Swirls!!

Don't let them ever wash your car. Their detail jobs are the worst though.
You know the deal, quick in and out. cut corners. pressed for time..move on to the next car.

My car was recently in for service and they courtesy washed my car even after I told them not to. Oh well. I didn't notice much damage though thankfully..just some more swirls then there was before. Recently I completed a paint correction with clay, paint cleaner and 2 types of polishes/glazes. (No wax or sealant yet tho!)

Good Luck. Definately try total auto wash and then add some light polish. If you don't have any go to your local auto parts store for some OTC polish(paint cleaner). I've used Mothers pre wax cleanser on my wheels before sealant. Efficient performing product. It does what they say it does...Does the same job as the Zymol HD cleanse and Prima Amigo paint cleaners, which are my top 2 favorite polishes ever.

If you are looking for a speedy easy leather cleaner/conditioner product...apply Armor All leather care gel bi-monthly for easy care of your leather interior. Leaves no greasy look or smell. Cleans and conditons your seats. It's my go-to maintenance leather care product. I use it monthly ..applying a light application each time. Great product to have. Don't let the poor Armor All mtyhs and reputation scare you away. It works great for leahter maintenance care.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0