BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #1
McReary
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Halogen to Xenon Conversion FAQs

I've been trying to do this conversion for a while and I've stumbled upon a couple questions that I still don't even have answered. So here they are:

1) AHL stands for Adaptive Headlights. What does this do as opposed to Auto-leveling. It seems that I am mixing up the acronym for Adaptive Headlights and Auto Headlight Leveling (Both AHL). Which does what?

2) The ebay sellers of even the oem xenon kits only offer the housing, including the projector lens. What else will be necessary to complete the conversion? Xenon Bulb, Ballast, and--this is confusing me--footwell module. I'm aware that the conversion will leave the computer angry with the difference to 35w xenons, which will basically shut down the headlights and pop up error lights. Is this what the footwell module is about--the computer fooler/resistor?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...43#post7256043
In which case, you wouldn't need to reflash?

I'm a little washy on the subject and after a couple hours of searching, I've given up to ask for help. Basically, I'm trying to get down to what do I need to switch from halogens to xenons--everything from kit to installation to operation. I do not expect to go reflash my LCM. I'm thinking of trying out the resistor DIY.

Any input welcome!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

In order to do a complete and correct (legal) xenon conversion, you will need (and this is not by any means a complete list):
headlamp assemblies
xenon bulbs
ballast
footwell module (controls vehicle lighting and other electronics)
light switch
ride height sensors
wiring harness for ride height sensors
coding and programming

One headlamp assembly is going to cost more than the entire option. You're looking at several thousand dollars for parts alone.

If you take the eBay hack route, you're probably not going to get a good trade-in, since the dealership will have to spend money to restore the car. Not to mention pissing off everyone on the road with your crappy conversion.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
McReary
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

IC. Well I'm considering a complete Euro OEM conversion. The only thing illegal about it so far would be the clear sideblinkers. It doesn't have AHL--which leads me to ask the same questions as I first posted? Does AHL stand for Adaptive Headlights, and what does it mean? And what does it do different from Auto-leveling (Is this auto-leveling the ride-height sensor and adjuster different from Adaptive Headlights)?

Regarding the footwell module, I'm not sure that a new one is necessary. I posted the diy circuitry above that can keep the original footwell module and fool it so that no computer warnings come up. This would negate the need for reflashing/programming anything. I'm guessing the light switch is different on the xenons to halogens so that will be needed.

Besides my concerns for the AHL and clarification of it, I've narrowed it down to these things assuming ride height sensors/wiring is included in the OEM Euros (The ride height sensors would be inside the headlight housing?):

OEM headlight housing--projector and lens
Bulb
Ballast
Wattage/computer fooler
light switch
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Sui
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 123d

AHL stands for adaptive head light.
That means that the lights are steering according to your steering wheel.

It is not the same as the ride high leveling sensors!

The AHL feature requires other lights.
The leveling is included in EVERY Xenon light!

You can buy my kit and fool the footwell, or buy a new footwell and flash it.

However, you will not need the ride high sensors, when you adjust your light static to the right position!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

The ride height sensors are necessary for the self-leveling function, unless you like shining your lights in other peoples' eyes.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Sui
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
The ride height sensors are necessary for the self-leveling function, unless you like shining your lights in other peoples' eyes.
Yes, that is right.
However, you can adjust the lights by hand (at the light switch), just like the halogen ones.
Should be no prob at all.
It is only important when you have a full trunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
McReary
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
Though what you're saying is true, and what sui is saying is a formidable option to counter the lack thereof, most xenons don't need the ride height sensors to self-level since they'll be low enough to the ground. Take the AP1 and AP2 s2000s for example. Those don't have auto-leveling by factory. I wouldn't necessarily call them blinders. My other friend's 70s 240z Datsun retrofitted with Mazda RX-8 xenons are in the similar circumstances of acceptability by merely pointing them in a safer direction. I'm planning on doing a drop on my car regardless.

So AHL (stands for Adaptive Headlights) is the swiveling feature, and auto-leveling is the lowering and raising for oncoming traffic. Finally got a clarification. Thanks!

Oh and sui, the light switch--any idea where to get that OEM part? I'm seeing only the OEM-BMW-Parts.com special request as an option.

So basically here would be the course of action.
OEM Euro kit housing/lens/projector
bulb
ballast
footwell module fooler
OEM xenon light switch

Install, connect, plug and play!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Sui
Banned
Rep

Defnetly you will get the switch at you local dealer!

I think it should be below 100$ because in GER ist is appr. 60€.
In GER there is a leveling and cleaning device forced by law but in GER there are several "stupid" laws.

However, in my opinion a retro without leveling should not be a prob as far as you adjust your lights correctly once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McReary View Post
Though what you're saying is true, and what sui is saying is a formidable option to counter the lack thereof, most xenons don't need the ride height sensors to self-level since they'll be low enough to the ground. Take the AP1 and AP2 s2000s for example. Those don't have auto-leveling by factory. I wouldn't necessarily call them blinders. My other friend's 70s 240z Datsun retrofitted with Mazda RX-8 xenons are in the similar circumstances of acceptability by merely pointing them in a safer direction. I'm planning on doing a drop on my car regardless.

So AHL (stands for Adaptive Headlights) is the swiveling feature, and auto-leveling is the lowering and raising for oncoming traffic. Finally got a clarification. Thanks!

Oh and sui, the light switch--any idea where to get that OEM part? I'm seeing only the OEM-BMW-Parts.com special request as an option.

So basically here would be the course of action.
OEM Euro kit housing/lens/projector
bulb
ballast
footwell module fooler
OEM xenon light switch

Install, connect, plug and play!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Alec693
BMWholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT AWD

Garage List
McReary did you ever get to do this conversion? I want to do it as well in my 128i. What were the results? Errors, How does it look, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #10
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Also want to do this in my e88 cabrio..

Please let us know the steps involved and where to get the parts!

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
Nemizis
Registered
Rep
Drives:

i did the conversion last year, when i had my prev. E81 118d hatch.

I bought the original headligts from a spanish guy, who knew a guy that worked on Valeo ( the producer of the headlights ). He then build some sort of cable inside the headlights, and shipped them to me.

When i got them, i just took off the front bumper, and swapped the headlights, it almost worked fine. First, the hi-beam would not work. Then i had 2 swap 2 cables in the cars plug ( the plug that goes into the headlamp ) and then the hi-beam worked.

I drove with it for 3 monts, and i never got rid off the OBC error, but the lights worked fine, and the total cost was 700 euros ink shipping.

I am about to buy a E81 118d again, and have contacted the spanish guy, but he cannot supply the headlamps anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Hey guys I know ******* is currently working on a set of euro xenon conversions, however they do not support AHL, you would have to do that yourself.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
Asclepius
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
WHat is the cost of doing the halogen to xenon conversion?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

I costed this up in the UK and it's in the region of £2000+ unless you can find many of the parts from a 1 Series that is crash damaged!
      10-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
Asclepius
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
What about these for an 09 128? http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=xenon+lights
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 08:40 AM   #16
dantovey
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 120d convertible 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemizis View Post
i did the conversion last year, when i had my prev. E81 118d hatch.

I bought the original headligts from a spanish guy, who knew a guy that worked on Valeo ( the producer of the headlights ). He then build some sort of cable inside the headlights, and shipped them to me.

When i got them, i just took off the front bumper, and swapped the headlights, it almost worked fine. First, the hi-beam would not work. Then i had 2 swap 2 cables in the cars plug ( the plug that goes into the headlamp ) and then the hi-beam worked.

I drove with it for 3 monts, and i never got rid off the OBC error, but the lights worked fine, and the total cost was 700 euros ink shipping.

I am about to buy a E81 118d again, and have contacted the spanish guy, but he cannot supply the headlamps anymore.
What wires were swapped around to get the high beam working correctly please?
Appreciate 0