BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #45
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I'm gonna hook up my BT tool tonight and see if there are any misfire logs.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #46
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Yep. Stock boost should be around 7psi, but i have read norms of 6-8psi. Prior to new software update when i would go WOT it would overshoot boost to levels as high as 9psi and since the software updgrade I have not experienced that and have noticed a lag of boost...this is why I love having a boost gauge. When it feels sluggish, i look at my boost gauge and confirm how the engine is running.
I'm wondering if you and I may have a marginal HPFP, and the software simply decreases the boost and thus demand for fuel, resulting in lower overall power and lag.
This could be why BMW initiated a software "fix" for potential HPFP problems.
The tech who worked on my car said he wanted to replace my pump, as the ECU had fuel pressure fault codes, which in his opinion indicates that the pump is going and should be replaced. BMW would not authorize it.
He also says that he has seen various fuel pressure from different cars, meaning some are within a certain acceptable spec. So it's possible that some cars are not able to produce full power due to a pump not able to produce or sustain the needed pressure for full boost.
The guy that is posting positive results may have great performance due to having a fully functioning pump that is supplying full fuel pressure, translating to better performance.

I wonder if there are 2 different versions of software; one for "fixing" potential HPFP issues, and one for a new fully functioning HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #47
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSchnitzel View Post
Keep me in the know. I would love to hear what they say about the decrease in performance with the new software. I have observed a pretty significant increase in MPG. Still hate it though, if I wanted good MPG I would have bought a 128i. GIMME MY PERFORMANCE BACK BMW!!!!!!!!!
My car is in the shop right now.
My AC is non existent.
I also told them to look into the performance issues, namely the lag and less power, and the odd idle, which is sometimes 625rpm and sometimes 750-800rpm. Today when taking it in, idle would go to 750 then back to 600 then down to 500 with a stutter then back to 625. It's not solid and not right.

I can't say what has happened to my mpg as I haven't had my car back long enough from the last visit a couple of weeks ago.
I did a long trip this past weekend, about 560 miles. At an average of about 80mph (70mph posted) my ECU registered mpg was about 25.5, not bad for such high speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #48
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Anyone thought about running the car on a Dyno before and after the software update? that would be the tell all right there.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #49
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
I notice the car is running richer than b4 as I now hear slightly different exhaust tone, and sometimes my exhaust pops real loud (like backfires, not sure if it's shooting flames, the bumper and diffuser is still clean) within maybe 5mins of driving after a cold start in the morning.....
Actualy... FYI... any popping noises when the engine is cold is a sign that the engine is running LEAN. Not rich.

You might mention this to your dealer... maybe they can adjust the fuel mixture settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #50
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

come to think of it... maybe BMW tuned the car on purpose(now with the latest Software update) to run leaner than before. This could be why some cars have too much carbon buildup. Bc the oil is getting too thin via the rich mixture that the N54 runs. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #51
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Actualy... FYI... any popping noises when the engine is cold is a sign that the engine is running LEAN. Not rich.

You might mention this to your dealer... maybe they can adjust the fuel mixture settings.
Me Failed LOL! thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #52
BimmerSchnitzel
J1V3.455.7URCK3Y
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
Anyone thought about running the car on a Dyno before and after the software update? that would be the tell all right there.
+1 that would be great if one of the tuners on this board could do that for us. Hell just having a car with the newest software dyno'd would be very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #53
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

hmm, you all have me thinking now. I too had the upgraded SW installed and wondered why they did it at all. I had an obnoxious buzzing noise from the rear speakers that only happend once. So they decided to download the new SW update 2 days later I got my car back, I guess it felt ok at first, but now I question it...I'm feeling perhaps a slight power decline, not sure..it does seem more linear than before however less of a surge, less turgo lag yes...but not the kick your head back boost like before. I have a service for my rear light that CRacked, another crazy problem that's happend to others as well. I hope they get enough complaints and fix it....I will talk to the SA when I get my new tail light and first ding repaired. I wonder why the N55 engine, maybe BMW knows something about the N54 engine their not telling us...makes you think! Oh also the new software set off my air bag light, I was just waiting for the airbag to go off and punch me in the face when i was cruising at 80 mph
      05-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #54
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

I received the latest software update due to super long cranks. This is what I've noticed:

- When unlocking car, priming up is more obvious than before. Seems a bit louder and longer.
- Idling is inconsistent. Before, it would drop to 500rpm. Now, it's anywhere between 500rpm to 800rpm. Somedays, it would go crazy and never idle. Tach jumps all over, chokes, revs, etc. I would have to restart car.
- Sometimes, performance is totally gone. At WOT on 2nd gear, it's as fast as my '95 Camry. No pull, no kick, just slow as molasses. I would have to restart car in middle of street to get performance back.
      05-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #55
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Holy crap that's awful... I 've got long cranks galore and I'm scared to take it in because of this horrible software update. Damn.
      05-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #56
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Holy crap that's awful... I 've got long cranks galore and I'm scared to take it in because of this horrible software update. Damn.
+ 1

I'm pretty sure we started experiencing long cranks around the same time. It's either new hpfp or nothing for me

The new software scares me
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #57
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My software update report:

- Noticable turbo lag in mid rpm range 2-4K
- poor MPG's
- overall sluggish feeling
- radio station info
- louder whirring sound when i open my doors

overall, I am largely disappointed in the update. I f'n HATE turbo lag, and that was probably the biggest selling point to me...now it feels like i am driving a Jetta 1.8T with more horsepower. Not to mention I do the same drive every day to work and have notice 2-4 mpg worse now....could be that i keep trying to initiate boost. My boost gauge use to show a bit overshoot reaching 8-9 psi stock, but havent seen that happen since upgrade(downgrade) and lot longer to initiate boost.
UPDATE:

Well, as anyone could have guessed, the official response from BMW service, "road tested and found no problems."
Of course there isn't an obvious problem. But, the 'problem' is that performance is NOT what it used to be. That is the problem.
However, as one of the tech's said, they can only test the car to see if it's running, meaning it accelerates and rpms go up and down.
They don't have any information as to what the software actually does or did differently. They just hook it up and the diagnostic says it's all just fine.

I told the tech that I understand there is no obvious or apparent running problem like a misfire or stuttering idle. The issue is that overall performance has been affected in a negative way, and I want them to note this and report it to BMW. Putting "no problem found", doesn't give the correct feedback to BMW as to what the customer is complaining about.

I suggest that any of us who get the new software, make sure you fill out the survey and clearly state that there IS a problem and the problem is that performance is less than before, and that is NOT what we paid for.
I'm going to call BMWNA and at least have them do a report that the issue that I took my car in for has NOT been fixed nor properly addressed.

We have one poster here, mineo, who has direct proof that performance has been lessened. He has seen that boost is less than before.
Before, he was getting 7-8psi consistently with 9psi peaks at times.
Now, he doesn't even get 7psi, but more like 6psi.
That is a 20% boost loss, and that directly affects overall performance, negatively.

I don't feel that power is more linear and with more lag. Those 2 things don't jibe. More lag means less linear power delivery, and it shows itself more so with a manual trans than an automatic, as the auto trans can slip between gears keeping engine speed higher with less boost loss between shifts.

I think they leaned out the A/F, possibly, to lessen demand and load on the HPFP. MPG might increase slightly, but overall engine operating temp can be higher, as it is in mine. Leaner burn results in greater heat.
My oil temp is now running between 10-20F degrees hotter in same driving and atmospheric conditions.
Typically if you lean out the mix you can increase performance as combustion can be more complete, but only if you address the overall tuning. This software however seems to lower boost as well thus negating any power benefits from a leaner burn.

I had an odd idle where my base idle is around 625rpm, but with the new software idle would go as high as 800rpm and stay there.
However, I think the idle issue was a result of my AC problem. I had very little coolant in the system. I was using my AC during the same time they put in the new software. I think what was happening is that while the AC was on the low coolant level wouldn't let the compressor turn on. But, by leaving the AC on while driving, pressure in the system would rise and cycle the compressor on and then quickly off, and then keep repeating this pattern resulting in getting odd idle.
I came by this simply because now with the AC system filled, my idle has settled back to 625rpm with the AC off, and it goes up to about 650-675rpm when I turn the AC on, and it holds steady.

I do notice, however, that some of you are also stating that your idle is up and down. Those of you that have an erratic idle, does you AC work?
There is a TSB on a no AC condition, so maybe some cars have no AC, and maybe it's causing this odd idle condition if you have the HVAC set to "auto" where it might be calling for AC.
Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #58
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

the software without a new HPFP will make things worse....it did in my car anyway...but when all was finshed after the 3rd visit..New#943 HPFP, new plugs, injectors moved around, updated flash...my car is Step and it runs like a beast and i do not feel any extra lag.. I would not take my car back till it ran perfect for 2-3 days after my 2nd visit...i let my service advisor take it home after the 2nd booomdagle.....luckily it shit on him after the 2nd fix...and he made sure it was running good before i took it home...so far so good...BMW compensated me with a hair transplant for all the stress i was under....and it was expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #59
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

This just sux!! I also confirmed it with my advisor and he also said agreed with me that its a different animal! He said that the update was more for the wastegate noise and of course he'll not remark if it has anything to do with the HPFP. I think Im gonna jump on the JB3! If I take out the JB3 will they still be able to see my piggyback with a scan ?! This just sux!!
Myles
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #60
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

i hear they can not tell if the JB is in the car with a scan tool????
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #61
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth99 View Post
I agree 100% with all of this! My car is now a pig! I would rather have a new fuel pump every month than this crappy new software update!

I don't think I can call my 1 a pig, I managed to still get 2nd gear to break traction on a hard accel. But, overall the power isn't quite there as it was before, and what is there is laggier...yep, that's a word.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #62
dbtk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Got mine back yesterday. Week in shop. Told everything was taken care of, including compatibility issue with DINAN 2 software. Home for two hours. Longest crank yet. Problem not solved.
      05-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #63
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep

RPM90 - Excellent Write up. Im printing it out and bringing it in with me next week to my service appointment.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #64
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
RPM90 - Excellent Write up. Im printing it out and bringing it in with me next week to my service appointment.
i just called my SA too
      05-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #65
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
My software update report:

- Noticable turbo lag in mid rpm range 2-4K
- poor MPG's
- overall sluggish feeling
- radio station info
- louder whirring sound when i open my doors

overall, I am largely disappointed in the update. I f'n HATE turbo lag, and that was probably the biggest selling point to me...now it feels like i am driving a Jetta 1.8T with more horsepower. Not to mention I do the same drive every day to work and have notice 2-4 mpg worse now....could be that i keep trying to initiate boost. My boost gauge use to show a bit overshoot reaching 8-9 psi stock, but havent seen that happen since upgrade(downgrade) and lot longer to initiate boost.
What is the "radio station info" item? Is that how you can tell if you got the new software? What do I look for?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #66
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

I wonder if there is any way to clone ones ECU, so that it can be returned to original, after BMW downgrades the ECU tune?