BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
RHSinAZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 SGM 135

Moving power seat back on 135

May be a stupid question but here goes - I have an ’09 135 with sport package and power seats. Does anyone sell rails or a base that will allow me to move my seat back about the same distance as the manual seat? I test drove one with a manual seat and then purchased with power seats without ever driving. I have seen a DIY with OEM rails mounted on longer steel strips but would prefer a direct bolt on solution. Thoughts?? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHSinAZ View Post
May be a stupid question but here goes - I have an ’09 135 with sport package and power seats. Does anyone sell rails or a base that will allow me to move my seat back about the same distance as the manual seat? I test drove one with a manual seat and then purchased with power seats without ever driving. I have seen a DIY with OEM rails mounted on longer steel strips but would prefer a direct bolt on solution. Thoughts?? Thanks

I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall and when I move the seat all the way back it's too far back for me to comfortably reach the pedal. There's also only about an inch from the back of the front seat to the rear seat.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
RHSinAZ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall and when I move the seat all the way back it's too far back for me to comfortably reach the pedal. There's also only about an inch from the back of the front seat to the rear seat.
I am guessing you have a manual seat. I had tested with manual and bought one with power...the manual goes back much, much farther.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
perral1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Vert DCT LMB/Blk

Quote:
I am guessing you have a manual seat. I had tested with manual and bought one with power...the manual goes back much, much farther.
I'm 6'5" with power seats and I don't move the seat all the way back when driving. Depending on how tall you are, you might want to reevaluate where you put your seat when driving - I find a lot of people put there seat too far back, and it can place a huge strain on your lower back. Just a thought - but everyone's situation is different, I don't want to assume too much...

EDIT: Also, looking behind my seat when it is all the way back, I'm not really sure how it could possibly be true that the manual seat goes "much" farther back - there isn't any farther back to go as far as I can tell...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
RHSinAZ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perral1 View Post
EDIT: Also, looking behind my seat when it is all the way back, I'm not really sure how it could possibly be true that the manual seat goes "much" farther back - there isn't any farther back to go as far as I can tell...
I should have clarified - I was in a nasty head on about 10 years ago that screwed up my knees. It is more a matter of extending my right leg so that it does not twist too much. I love to drive and it hurts. I will probably have the power changed to a manual and be done with it. Was trying to avoid the $1500. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
I have the power seats. all 135i in Australia have power seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
perral1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Vert DCT LMB/Blk

Quote:
I should have clarified - I was in a nasty head on about 10 years ago that screwed up my knees. It is more a matter of extending my right leg so that it does not twist too much. I love to drive and it hurts. I will probably have the power changed to a manual and be done with it. Was trying to avoid the $1500. Thanks!
Ah. Like what I said about assuming....sorry about that...

Still, I'm confused as to how the manual seats will go any farther back. Maybe there's something wrong with your power seats? It looks to me like the difference could only be an inch at most...although maybe if you leaned the seatback forward, you might get some more room. Maybe ask your dealer just to be sure?

Best of luck regardless.
Appreciate 0