BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Car in limp mode!

I guess the HPFP died. I am already on the latest software, so hopefully it gets replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Mattyv does not like this.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I guess the HPFP died. I am already on the latest software, so hopefully it gets replaced.
I met you at bunnings at caloundra for the cruise on saturday was your pump dying then.
Seems like we are getting more HPFP dying in australia do you now if bmw is warranting these pumps for 10yrs like usa does.
Touch wood mine still going.
I read even the new n55 motor pumps are failed on them bad news.
      10-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
stylish.
Easily bored...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

^^ I've got an N55, I'll keep us aussie 1addicts updated if anything goes wrong with it! Sparoz, let us know of the outcome =)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

OH noes! The dreaded SES light. What were you symptoms before the light came on? It could be something less serious than the fuel pump, a whole number of things can bring up that light.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I met you at bunnings at caloundra for the cruise on saturday was your pump dying then.
Seems like we are getting more HPFP dying in australia do you now if bmw is warranting these pumps for 10yrs like usa does.
Touch wood mine still going.
I read even the new n55 motor pumps are failed on them bad news.
Well, I might write a letter to BMW Aust as well, as I was accelerating out of a turn when it first failed and I was at 4-5k rpm, and it dropped it down to 2k. Now, an accident could have happened easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylish. View Post
^^ I've got an N55, I'll keep us aussie 1addicts updated if anything goes wrong with it! Sparoz, let us know of the outcome =)
That would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
OH noes! The dreaded SES light. What were you symptoms before the light came on? It could be something less serious than the fuel pump, a whole number of things can bring up that light.
It is in constant limp mode now. The long crank has been happening for a while. I just started the car as per normal, drove about 10 meters, and turning left on an intersaction.

Will take it there tomorrow, the engine sounds sick at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Unlucky mate. Coastline will take care of you though. Good bunch of guys there

Probably a good thing you took the wife shopping and didn't come on the cruise :P I'll keep an eye out for you now that i know your on the coast
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Told you so!

All N54 pumps will die - its just a matter of time. I've done 2 thus far!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Spangley went into limp mode today - must have been deuxième bouteille de vin rouge
:-(
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
Unlucky mate. Coastline will take care of you though. Good bunch of guys there

Probably a good thing you took the wife shopping and didn't come on the cruise :P I'll keep an eye out for you now that i know your on the coast
I was thinking about the same thing, probably a potential for a bad accident if I was over taking in limp mode, or one of you guys just smashes right into me as I go into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Told you so!

All N54 pumps will die - its just a matter of time. I've done 2 thus far!
You don't happen to leave your fuel tank low? That's the only thing that was different... I have left my tank ran really low this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Spangley went into limp mode today - must have been deuxième bouteille de vin rouge
:-(
You just can't hold your drinks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

It is the pump, and it is getting replaced at the moment. Spoke to the Service Manager and the said they haven't needed to replace many for a while, and no one has come back for a second pump.

I am actually loving the X5 4.0d demo at the moment, I am quite surprised how much guts it's got and it handles so well for a big car. The nifty topview for parking was amazing. Seriously considering swamping it over early, and change my wife's car to the 1M when it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:

I am actually loving the X5 4.0d demo at the moment, I am quite surprised how much guts it's got and it handles so well for a big car. The nifty topview for parking was amazing. Seriously considering swamping it over early, and change my wife's car to the 1M when it comes out.
I don't know, I have a X5 and I don't like driving it, though mine is the bottom of the range single turbo 3.0l diesel. It is still a clumsy car to drive, the interior is no bigger than a 5, the ride is poor, though the 20in tyres don't help. If I were to buy a family car now I would have bought a 5, or a sports wagon like a VW R36. And if your wife drives like mine, best to have stock 18in wheels as all four 20in wheels of mine are badly curbed and completely ruined.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw135fan View Post
I don't know, I have a X5 and I don't like driving it, though mine is the bottom of the range single turbo 3.0l diesel. It is still a clumsy car to drive, the interior is no bigger than a 5, the ride is poor, though the 20in tyres don't help. If I were to buy a family car now I would have bought a 5, or a sports wagon like a VW R36. And if your wife drives like mine, best to have stock 18in wheels as all four 20in wheels of mine are badly curbed and completely ruined.
Yeah, I was actually quite surprised at the poor ride. I am pretty sure the demo have 19s on, but that's probably of the runflats. It is no worse than 125i with runcraps though. Do you have the LCI?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just emailed BMW with my safety concerns. Hopefully, they are going to do a campaign and fix them up as someone's going to get hurt from the failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #16
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Quote:
I was thinking about the same thing, probably a potential for a bad accident if I was over taking in limp mode, or one of you guys just smashes right into me as I go into limp mode.
That almost happened to me. I was at a set of lights at the front and my mate was behind me in his r36 and he knew I was going to launch it hard across the intersection and was going to follow but the instant I dumped it, she went putt putt splatter cough

I just pulled over, turned it off and back on again and she was all good (bar the 3-5second cranks) until the pump was replaced about 5 days later.
      10-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #17
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It is the pump, and it is getting replaced at the moment. Spoke to the Service Manager and the said they haven't needed to replace many for a while, and no one has come back for a second pump.

Good to hear they are replacing it so quickly Any word on how long they are going to cover this for? It seems as if there are more cases of the HPFP going on the 135's than there is on the 335's. I'm thinking its probably due to the fact that 135's are more often weekend cars that get more of a work out than the 335's as they are usually daily's.

I'm thinking about getting into a 135/335 next year, as much as i want the 335 its roughly 10k cheaper to get a 135 and i think it would be much funner. I would want to get the procede and i never worried too much about the HPFP as i know a guy in Brisbane who has a modded 335 that gets roughly 450hp and he hasn't had a failure yet but this scares me a little bit.

If i get a 135 it wont have all that much dealer warranty left on it. Whats the rumors about them covering it for 10years?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #18
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Yeah, I was actually quite surprised at the poor ride. I am pretty sure the demo have 19s on, but that's probably of the runflats. It is no worse than 125i with runcraps though. Do you have the LCI?
No, perhaps the LCI is better in that regards. Even when I had the 18's it wasn't good, changing from 20 RFT's to non run flats helped, but still bad, certainly worse than my 135 with 19's.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #19
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
Good to hear they are replacing it so quickly Any word on how long they are going to cover this for? It seems as if there are more cases of the HPFP going on the 135's than there is on the 335's. I'm thinking its probably due to the fact that 135's are more often weekend cars that get more of a work out than the 335's as they are usually daily's.

I'm thinking about getting into a 135/335 next year, as much as i want the 335 its roughly 10k cheaper to get a 135 and i think it would be much funner. I would want to get the procede and i never worried too much about the HPFP as i know a guy in Brisbane who has a modded 335 that gets roughly 450hp and he hasn't had a failure yet but this scares me a little bit.

If i get a 135 it wont have all that much dealer warranty left on it. Whats the rumors about them covering it for 10years?
Yeah, it's all done, and as it's due for a service as well, they are doing it tomorrow. (BTW, Nathan left, but they got Jason who was working in the workshop to replace him).

No word about covering for 10 years here in Australia but I would say if it fails right after your warranty, they might still replace the parts for free as they usually do anyway. You would be still up for labour though. When are you looking at changing your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 04:10 AM   #20
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it's all done, and as it's due for a service as well, they are doing it tomorrow. (BTW, Nathan left, but they got Jason who was working in the workshop to replace him).

No word about covering for 10 years here in Australia but I would say if it fails right after your warranty, they might still replace the parts for free as they usually do anyway. You would be still up for labour though. When are you looking at changing your car?
Legally i have to wait until March of next year The plan is to list my car then and buy a sh!tbox for a daily. Once my car sells i'll be on the lookout but i'll be in no rush to sell my car or to buy another one. I want to get a decent price on my car and also get a 135 with nav, CA and in a decent colour (basically anything but silver as i've had 3 silver cars in a row!) I'd love all the other options that you've got but i know i can't be fussy when buying second hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #21
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

HI SPAROZ
See if you can find out what's the new pumps part number the latest is 933 the one before that was 943 which is a bad pump aswell. This is about there 6th pump part number so far.
      10-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #22
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
HI SPAROZ
See if you can find out what's the new pumps part number the latest is 933 the one before that was 943 which is a bad pump aswell. This is about there 6th pump part number so far.
Ah okay, I thought I read somewhere which is 402. May be I was reading a very old thread. I will ask Brad tomorrow when I pick up the car.
Appreciate 0