BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #23
willfong
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Cant wait to see a 135 in person! Need to see it before plunking down a deposit or anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #24
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknightohio View Post
Upcoming G8 is essentially a VXR8 with a different front bumper...
But VXR8 is so much better looking than G8.The front, rear bumpers are different, the side and interior are different plus 6 speed manual.....
It is not a best looking car (both of them) but what a beast..... I like it......
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #25
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slowly...

Mixing up Holden products...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknightohio View Post
Upcoming G8 is essentially a VXR8 with a different front bumper...
We're mixing up different generations of Holden (GM in Australia) products, in addition to different performance levels of products. The VXR8 is, surprise, built on the previous generation Holden Commodore "VX" chassis. The newest, and current, production car is based on the heavily redesigned "VE" chassis. And the VE is what the G8 is based on.

Further, the VXR8 is a product of Holden Special Vehicles, so (forgetting the VE/VX generational confusion for a moment), saying the G8 is essentially a VXR8 is like saying that a 535i is essentially an M5 with different bumpers - not even close. Moreover, none of the above have anything to do with the CTS-V as someone else suggested (except for sharing some engine components).

If someone is looking to get sorta close to a VXR8 experience in the US, go drive a 2005-2006 GTO (two fewer doors, less over the top bodywork, a bit less horsepower and torque) - but close enough to the idea of driving sideways.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #26
darknightohio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Point taken, so would it be safe to say the Pontiac G8 is the same as the Holden Commodore SS-V series?

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #27
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep

"Point taken, so would it be safe to say the Pontiac G8 is the same as the Holden Commodore SS-V series?"

Yup - as far as I understand. The G8 is to the Commodore as the GTO was to the Monaro: switch sides for the steering wheel and instrument panel and do some badge engineering (plus a bunch of retro-engineering for the GTO). Fortunately, this time the US application was engineered at the same time as the Ozzie one, so they did not have to do some of the retrofitting that was required on the GTO (like moving the gas tank position so that the trunk became Miata-sized). Over the past couple of years, GM USA is finally starting to get some interesting product to sell. Maybe not immensely sophisticated, but sure to induce SEGs.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #28
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
i predict the g8 will be as successful as the GTO...
which means it will be a great bargain after all the rebates and the dealers trying to get them off the lot..

ppl in the us just dont want to drop over 30k for an american car...
unless its a 50k harley davidson f150 (i cant figure that one out but i see a ton of them!)
      12-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #29
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMike View Post
We're mixing up different generations of Holden (GM in Australia) products, in addition to different performance levels of products. The VXR8 is, surprise, built on the previous generation Holden Commodore "VX" chassis. The newest, and current, production car is based on the heavily redesigned "VE" chassis. And the VE is what the G8 is based on.
Gotta correct myself - I'm an idiot. The latest Vauxhall VXR8 is built on the latest Holden VE chassis. I got confused with the previous generation's Vauxhall nomenclature. But the G8 still doesn't hold a candle to the VXR8 - a whole different kettle of fish.
Appreciate 0