BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What are your MHD burble settings ? (post duration)
Soft 18 21.18%
Medium 19 22.35%
Agressive 24 28.24%
No Burble, i hate it or i fear about potential damages (post details) 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

06-05-2017, 05:04 AM   #1
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

Your MHD burble settings

Hi all,

i am curious to know about the average burble setting of people using MHD in here.

I set mine at 0.5sec with medium.

(long duration sounds too articifial IMO)

I have wagner catless DP and BMW performance muffler, and pops/bangs are really loud depending on RPM/Boost when letting off.

I have a 6MT (no sport button) and i think it would be awesome if the burble activation could be triggered with the DTC button, because sometimes i don't feel like poping, like in cities etc or when i see cops.

Poll !
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I had the burble function on for about a week on medium, noticed my oil consumption went up significantly to the point where my car was asking for more. Once i turned the burble function off my oil consumption stopped. Pretty sure its bad for the turbo seals.

After talking with MHD they do not recommend using the aggressive setting for daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

The burble sounds isn't crisp like the PPK and just sounds pretty poor on every E82 i've seen. E92 with PE and burble sound very crisp and aggressive though

Now the feature has been out for a while most of the fools I know who put it on max aggression, max duration have ruined their o2 sensors now.

I turn it off.
      06-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

I first used it on aggressive but found it too ... well, aggressive. Especially when you're driving hard and lift off (when it would normally burble a little), it was closer to explosions than burble.

My favorite was medium 4 seconds - I learnt how to throttle back gently to minimize the burble when you didn't want to be heard, but all it took was a XHP downshift to start another round of wonderful long burble. It certainly turned heads.

But then I got worried about cylinder wash, so now it's soft 2 seconds.

I still haven't worked out what the difference between the 'normal' and 'sport' sliders are, I've just set them to the same.

I'd love it if it would avoid the artificial burble when lift off from WOT, but enable it for <50% liftoff. On anything other than soft I'd get very loud pops out of the exhaust when I was 'hooning' - ie. It made most noise at exactly the time when you're driving fast enough that you DON'T want to attract additional attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
Kdiddy007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: *135i N55 Msport*

Aggressive all the way! On a side note does anyone else realize that pops and bangs don't work above 50mph? I have a full catless setup and can't get a single pop or burble after does anyone else experience this ?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

i voted number 4. I had soft and then went to medium. I liked the medium but I took it off for a few main reasons.
1.) Absolutely awful gas mileage. It made my average MPG drop to around 12-13 MPG. Without it on, I get around 17-18 MPG average.
2.) it got very annoying very quick. Its cool for the first few days but then it just got annoying constantly burbling. esp for highway cruising, when the tiniest amount of throttle input makes it burble (like maintaining a following distance in traffic)
3.) It mad my brand new, expensive BMR exhaust completely filthy.
4.) made my car extremely smelly of gas, with the BMR exhaust and catless downpipes it already smelled like gas slightly, but the burble setting made it 10x worse.
      06-06-2017, 02:35 AM   #7
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthbombing View Post
I had the burble function on for about a week on medium, noticed my oil consumption went up significantly to the point where my car was asking for more. Once i turned the burble function off my oil consumption stopped. Pretty sure its bad for the turbo seals.

After talking with MHD they do not recommend using the aggressive setting for daily driving.
If MHD doesn't recommend it himself for DD, it's not really reassuring.
I mean if MHD doesn't recommend agressive on DD, what is happening when you are using let's say medium (or soft) on long periods ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
The burble sounds isn't crisp like the PPK and just sounds pretty poor on every E82 i've seen. E92 with PE and burble sound very crisp and aggressive though

Now the feature has been out for a while most of the fools I know who put it on max aggression, max duration have ruined their o2 sensors now.

I turn it off.
i listened to some ppk sound on YT, both 335i and 135i, (mostly N55 BTW), honnestly i didn't felt a big difference between MHD and PPK, but it's difficult to judge from a video sound. PPK is like soft with 1.5sec duration MHD setting i guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I first used it on aggressive but found it too ... well, aggressive. Especially when you're driving hard and lift off (when it would normally burble a little), it was closer to explosions than burble.

My favorite was medium 4 seconds - I learnt how to throttle back gently to minimize the burble when you didn't want to be heard, but all it took was a XHP downshift to start another round of wonderful long burble. It certainly turned heads.

But then I got worried about cylinder wash, so now it's soft 2 seconds.

I still haven't worked out what the difference between the 'normal' and 'sport' sliders are, I've just set them to the same.

I'd love it if it would avoid the artificial burble when lift off from WOT, but enable it for <50% liftoff. On anything other than soft I'd get very loud pops out of the exhaust when I was 'hooning' - ie. It made most noise at exactly the time when you're driving fast enough that you DON'T want to attract additional attention.
That's something i would like to know too, for the moment but i may be wrong, i think it's only for AT car (which have a sport mode) , this way, you can disable it in normal, and enable only in sport if you want. It would be cool with we can do it with DTC button on our MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdiddy007 View Post
Aggressive all the way! On a side note does anyone else realize that pops and bangs don't work above 50mph? I have a full catless setup and can't get a single pop or burble after does anyone else experience this ?
I noticed that too, i thought my engine sound + wind sound was too high at speed to hear the burbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post
i voted number 4. I had soft and then went to medium. I liked the medium but I took it off for a few main reasons.
1.) Absolutely awful gas mileage. It made my average MPG drop to around 12-13 MPG. Without it on, I get around 17-18 MPG average.
2.) it got very annoying very quick. Its cool for the first few days but then it just got annoying constantly burbling. esp for highway cruising, when the tiniest amount of throttle input makes it burble (like maintaining a following distance in traffic)
3.) It mad my brand new, expensive BMR exhaust completely filthy.
4.) made my car extremely smelly of gas, with the BMR exhaust and catless downpipes it already smelled like gas slightly, but the burble setting made it 10x worse.
All these informations make me wonder if i should let it on or not.. i start to fear about some potential damages.

Does burble does exactly the same thing that ppk do ? or it's different in some way?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:24 AM   #8
BoLLo_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

I use soft for DD. Aggressive for cruises/special occasions because why not.

Why not? I'll tell you why not:
1) Coats O2 sensors.
2) Coats and overheats cats.
3) Can help glaze bores.
4) Can help thin out oil.
5) I assume negatively effects fuel economy.
6) Black soot everywhere.
7) Upsets people who don't like explosions. Specifically your explosions, outside their house.

I don't consider it likely that medium will cause any concerning additional wear but aggresive seems very aggresive. Based on the fact that it is only super rich while off boost and other cars come with reasonably loud burn-fuel-in-exhaust type features.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 05:25 AM   #9
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Yes, aggressive is really... aggressive.

If MHD Burble mode does the exact same thing as PPK , does someone know what is the exact setting to be "PPK like" ?
Soft? Medium? or Aggressive ? And duration ?

(I think if PPK uses such setting, this could be considered as a "safe" setting ?)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep

Studio54 - Since i have talked directly with MHD i can answer a few of your questions. The burble setting does thin out your oil so it is getting burned up im assuming by blow by fairly quickly. I noticed the same oil consumption on soft, medium & aggressive settings. I did not ask why they dont recommend aggressive for daily driving but i found my gas milage was garbage and the car just didnt feel right.

The sliders adjust as follows:

(base) adjusts burble for MT cars & duration of burble in non- sport mode for DCT
(sport) adjusts burble for sport mode on DCT, this slider does nothing with a MT
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
lazer
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Use 1.5 and 2.0 sec
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Studio54 - Since i have talked directly with MHD i can answer a few of your questions. The burble setting does thin out your oil so it is getting burned up im assuming by blow by fairly quickly. I noticed the same oil consumption on soft, medium & aggressive settings. I did not ask why they dont recommend aggressive for daily driving but i found my gas milage was garbage and the car just didnt feel right.

The sliders adjust as follows:

(base) adjusts burble for MT cars & duration of burble in non- sport mode for DCT
(sport) adjusts burble for sport mode on DCT, this slider does nothing with a MT
Thanks for these informations.

So we can assume that MHD has not the same implementation as PPK ? didn't heard about excessive oil consumption on PPK setups.
(Saying this, i also heard about people having no excessive oil consumption with MHD burble)

I guess that the oil consumption is the same with Soft/Medium or Aggressive, but the fuel consumption is not the same ?

Concerning base and sport sliders, that's exactly what i imaginated, that's why for 6MT owners, i wonder if it's possible for MHD to program it to trigger/activate burble via a short press of DTC button. (like limited DTC activated + burble activated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer View Post
Use 1.5 and 2.0 sec
Soft, medium or aggressive ? 1.5 or 2.0 ??
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep

Gas mileage will be worse with the burble on no matter what setting its on.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 02:23 AM   #14
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Gas mileage will be worse with the burble on no matter what setting its on.
Okay i thought the MPG depended on the setting, like the more agressive, the more fuel wasted to make bangs louder.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 02:03 AM   #15
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

I did not realize there were more settings, there are five so :
Normal / Softer / Soft / Medium / Aggressive

(I don't know if normal is enough to make something ??)

I just tried 1sec with soft, it only burbles and pops, it does not really bang! anymore (or very rarely) on my setup.
(Catless DP + BMW PE).

I think it's similar to PPK or IS at this point. (Soft + something between 1 and 2 sec)

It only starts to be loud (louder than IS or PPK) at medium setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #16
speedychuck2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '09 135i Manual

Garage List
2009 135i 6MT  [0.00]
I like the idea of it, I ran it for a couple of days with long duration on medium setting but I switched it off in fear of blocking up the secondary cats as I still have them. I'm also still not sure on the bore wash side of things.

Once my secondary cats are gone, I will possibly try again on shortest duration with aggressive but I'm still not 100% yet.
'09 AW N54 135i 6MT - CIC - Logic 7 HiFi - MHD Stage2+ 98 - Wagner Evo 1 Performance I/C - VRSF Intakes - STC downpipes - Berk Race Axleback - 550i Clutch - BMWP Mirrors / Diffuser / Grilles / Skirts / Y-Pipe - SSDD Spoiler
12.9sec 1/4 mile @ 112mph - Santa Pod
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 03:56 AM   #17
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedychuck2 View Post
I like the idea of it, I ran it for a couple of days with long duration on medium setting but I switched it off in fear of blocking up the secondary cats as I still have them. I'm also still not sure on the bore wash side of things.

Once my secondary cats are gone, I will possibly try again on shortest duration with aggressive but I'm still not 100% yet.
I still have my secondary cats too, maybe i should disable it.

I plan to install N55 mid pipe, but not soonly.

I think with all cats out, and aggressive, it will bang too loud, like machine gun. You meant shorter or shortest ? the shortest is 0.1sec ?

I am now running soft + 1sec, it sounds pretty like an IS or an PPK, so i wonder if it can really damage something in soft ??
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 02:17 AM   #18
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

I disabled burbles approx. 2 weeks ago (my last message)

But then now it still have a lot of burbles (and sometimes pop/bang) without burble activated, it's really weird.
(Like a lot more than before activating MHD burble)

I am afraid i destroyed something in the midcat ?

Or does the catless dp supposed to burble more and more with time ?

(Or maybe my last map rewrite kind of bugged ?)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 03:43 AM   #19
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Let me tell you guys something nobody else has mentioned. I experimented with overrun (what they do to cause the burble) in my last car, 2.0 FSI turbo which was equipped with a EGT sensor. When you let off the gas and the car dumps fuel the pre-turbo exhaust gas temp continues to climb which is NOT what you want after a hard pull! It is bad for both the turbo AND your exhaust valves. I saw temps as high as 100 fahrenheit over the load temperature which is not good when you're already near the reliability limit for the turbo and valves (~1050C / 1900F for regular modern turbo cars). Of course you can go higher than this, especially if it's just for a short time, but you need to be aware of the possible consequences.

Don't use burble with a cat. I'm not sure if you would destroy the cat but it's certainly possible. I've seen it done with a 2-step, and the car had no power until the clogged / destroyed cat was removed! lol
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #20
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep

The Wind Breezes - can you explain why BMW implements over run on the stock tune to begin with then ? You can clearly hear the burbles on stock tune with just a PE catback around 2k rpm.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #21
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Used to use medium 0.5s. Turned the feature off on my most recent re-flash. Going to log my oil consumption over the next few months and see if it's lower. Fuel economy seems to have improved, getting the same mileage with 40% ethanol as I was previously on straight 93. Hard to say so take the above statements with a grain of salt. There are too many variables which could factor in IMO.

FWIW I still get burbles from the backend flash. I'm good without the showy pops and bangs I think.
      07-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #22
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

I wonder something.

What happens if i set the duration on 0sec ? (on soft,medium,aggressive or whatever... i guess agressiveness doesn't matter if you set it at 0sec ???)

Does it disable totally the overrun ? even the stock overrun ??

Any pros or cons doing this??
Appreciate 0