BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #23
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

So the thumb drive only uses the USB cable.. And my thumb drive uses a normal AAA battery.. That battery won't charge thru a simple USB connection, nor is it rechargable. Does that mean I would have to replace my thumb drive battery every week?

Whereas the ipod charges forever and never has to be removed?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #24
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannypoffo View Post
So the thumb drive only uses the USB cable.. And my thumb drive uses a normal AAA battery.. That battery won't charge thru a simple USB connection, nor is it rechargable. Does that mean I would have to replace my thumb drive battery every week?

Whereas the ipod charges forever and never has to be removed?
If your thumb drive "plays" music like an MP3 player, it may use the AAA for playback only. Most standard USB memory sticks do not need batteries at all. I would not be surprised if your thumb drive works without batteries. If it doesn't go and buy a cheap memory stick.
      08-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #25
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

you're right. it only needs the battery when i use it as an mp3 player. but thats my old one.

my new 16gb is a normal thumb drive. i noticed the red activity light comes on when i play it in, and seems to stay on. car was off. Would this drain the battery if the light is always on all night?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #26
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
you're right. it only needs the battery when i use it as an mp3 player. but thats my old one.

my new 16gb is a normal thumb drive. i noticed the red activity light comes on when i play it in, and seems to stay on. car was off. Would this drain the battery if the light is always on all night?
The draw on a USB drive is extremely low, so I wouldn't think it will be a problem. I usually use a 30Gb iPod G3, and have had no problems, they use spinning disk and are far less efficient. However. The car does have a sleep mode it goes into after a while (can't remember how long), you masy find it actually turns off then.
      08-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #27
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

Did you have the doors locked? Some of the stuff turns off once you lock the doors, or at least on cars with Comfort Access.

Either way, your battery would support the draw from a thumb drive for years, maybe even decades. I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #28
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

The USB jack pushes 2.5w and 5v @ 0.5a. That isn't going to power much of a hard drive, so make sure you read your drive's specs. (You can also get a second cable to run from your ashtray to power a drive, but just looks cheap imo..) Flash drives can store and run playlists in the car just like an iPod. Flash drives let the car control the volume and EQ. I use a high quality 16g flash drive, it does everything I want easily and quickly.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #29
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

ya i had not locked the doors, maybe thats why it still had power. the PNY 16gb flash drive works great. I finally figured out how to see folder view. Then it took me a while to find out to press that knob to select the folder on my screen. Still haven't had a chance to read the radio manual, I gotta find time this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #30
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

Never seen a usb thumb drive with a battery in it? The ones I tried and the one I bought does not have a battery; it runs off the cars battery through the usb cable.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #31
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

This is what you want:
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2645)-SDCZ6-016G-A11-SanDisk_Cruzer_Micro_16GB_Black.aspx

Just make sure you remove the crappy U3 stuff from it by running this:
http://www.u3.com/uninstall/final.aspx

It retracts so you can keep it on your keychain. It also lights up a nice orange that matches the gauges. It's fast enough that it plays my VBR and 320kbps MP3s no problem. I simply organize all my files in iTunes and then create folders for each album and put it on the drive. It's very slick and I've never had a problem with it. You don't need to use the USB cable, just plug it in under the armrest -- it fits perfect.

An iPod can get stolen/forgotten, a hard drive doesn't last as long and will skip, and CDs fill up your glove box. Everyone I show the flash drive setup to can't believe how slick it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #32
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhartha View Post
This is what you want:
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2645)-SDCZ6-016G-A11-SanDisk_Cruzer_Micro_16GB_Black.aspx

It retracts so you can keep it on your keychain. It also lights up a nice orange that matches the gauges. It's fast enough that it plays my VBR and 320kbps MP3s no problem. I simply organize all my files in iTunes and then create folders for each album and put it on the drive. It's very slick and I've never had a problem with it. You don't need to use the USB cable, just plug it in under the armrest -- it fits perfect.

An iPod can get stolen/forgotten, a hard drive doesn't last as long and will skip, and CDs fill up your glove box. Everyone I show the flash drive setup to can't believe how slick it is.

ya i got basically the same thing except PNY brand. Also 16GB. Formatted to 14.7GB, still enough to hold almost all my MP3s.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #33
pascrelg
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 135I

Siddhartha, thanks for the advice. I purchased the IPOD adaptor with my car and then my I-Touch was stolen on a trip to LA. What does the sandisk plug into under the armrest? Would I need another cable? Thanks.

G.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #34
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascrelg View Post
Siddhartha, thanks for the advice. I purchased the IPOD adaptor with my car and then my I-Touch was stolen on a trip to LA. What does the sandisk plug into under the armrest? Would I need another cable? Thanks.

G.
I'll jump in here.. my car has the AUX/USB connectors under the armrest. However, you cannot stick the mp3 drive directly in as it would stick up and might impede the armrest. So I have a little 6" USB extender, so my USB key sits in that custom pocket under the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #35
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhartha View Post
This is what you want:

SanDisk is pretty poor in terms of QC and reliability. Because they are mainstream (aka sold at Best Buy) they are also too expensive. Get something better like PNY, Kingston, Patriot, OCZ, Crucial or something at www.newegg.com for less. If you are really picky read up on flash drives at www.tomshardware.com and make an informed choice.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #36
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I'll jump in here.. my car has the AUX/USB connectors under the armrest. However, you cannot stick the mp3 drive directly in as it would stick up and might impede the armrest. So I have a little 6" USB extender, so my USB key sits in that custom pocket under the armrest.
This is why the Cruzer Micro I recommended is ace... it's small enough that it doesn't hit the armrest when you plug it in directly.

I've purchased over 20 of these Cruzer Micros for the company I work for and have never had a problem with one...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #37
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

my 1st post. since i have iphone 3G. its better to use because it is a 16gb and at the same time it charges my iphone and the playlist are much faster than the usb i have.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 01:07 AM   #38
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

iPods can't use folders? that's news to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angkor View Post
I think I am going to do both the hard drive and the iPod. I will use the iPod for podcasts and the hard drive for music. I have an 8 Gb Nano that stays in my current car all of the time and then an 8Gb iPhone that I sync podcasts to. I will use one or the other for podcasts but I want more music than that. It does sound like finding music will be easier on a hard drive than the iPod (one thing I hate about iPods is their inability to use folders) and I can have significantly more music in my car.
They are called playlists, but it's the same thing. You create one it iTunes, give it whatever name you want, and drag whatever music you want into it. Smart playlists are even better, since you set up rules and iTunes loads the music into them automatically.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #39
corpsman
130 kmh, yeah right.
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Montego,6MT,

I have a 30G ipod.It fits perfectly in the pouch. When I leave my car, I remember to take my ipod with me. Keep it simple, I see no need for for an additional USB HDD, since the ipod works great.
      12-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #40
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I only have the base audio system in my 135. So, can I connect a iPod via the auxilary input jack located under the arm rest and what other options that I have? Please let me know. Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #41
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Yes, you can connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I only have the base audio system in my 135. So, can I connect a iPod via the auxilary input jack located under the arm rest and what other options that I have? Please let me know. Thanks.
I believe you would pick songs by using the iPod controls, but it would work. Lots of cars have an aux jack for MP3 players.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #42
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Harmon Kardon make quite a nice iPod dock and control system, which supports line-out so you can plug into the Aux port, it gives you a really nice interface, but isn't cheap and needs a bit of work to install well. I have seen some good reviews, but haven't seen one in the real world:
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...%201US&sType=C
      01-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #43
doubleA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
So the AUX plug comes standard in the 135?
      01-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #44
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

no, the usb/aux is an option. its the only option my car has.
Appreciate 0