BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

2013 Boxster S vs a short term 328i to wait for the M2?

So my 2009 6MT 135i was totalled for an other party's fault accident. I bought the car used 5 years ago for some $43k CAD and I got a $27k CAD cheque back from insurance for it. Really low cost of ownership for the past 5 years. I am doing public transit in near freezing temperatures. I need a new car now and I need one bad.

Main gripe I had for the 135i is that it actually wasn't that good on the track with the small wheel well and undersized rotors. It's also not that great whenever the car goes off smooth pavements for hiking and skiing. It was tho great on the street. Just enough space for day to day use (was able to fit a bike at the back with seats folded), but still somewhat fun to drive.

My initial plan was to take-over a lease on a Blue on Red 2013 328i for around $550 CAD a month, no down no nothing. It's going to be a big downgrade in most sense, especially when it's an 8AT. But the hope is that this is merely a tie over until the M2, or I go full practical and get the G01 X3.

Then I came across this moderately optioned 2013 Porsche Boxster S PDK for $65k CAD. It's red on black with some reasonable options so it's not bare inside. PASM, Navigation, Sports Chrono, Partial Leather. I'd say 80% of the way a GTS would've been optioned. My perfect ideal Porsche would be a Cayman GTS with 6MT. For a 3 years used Porsche, and for $65k CAD, not sure if this Boxster is close enough. Biggest problem with a Boxster is that it's hugely unpractical. Let alone being bad off pavement. It's going to become impossible. Then I might need to get a winter beater.

So a huge downgrade going down to a 328i for 20 months. Or life's too short and I shouldn't pass up this one chance I got to get into a P car?

Advice much appreciate. Thanks!
      11-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Why not just buy a beater now and get the M2 of your dreams in April ? Why wait 20 months?

Dack
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
If I were in your position, I would be looking at a Cayman S or ideally, an early 997 Carrera S.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
get the M2....get something temporarily until you can get an M2

I am driving a 328 loaner car this weekend and it's quite boring....20 months is waaaay too long I can barely make it through a weekend
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

My dream setup would be a Cayman GTS + something like an X3. A lot more expensive than an M2.

The Boxster S sitting there now would probably be cheaper than the M2 when it comes out. Similar performance, maybe even more fun, but with a P badge? Just not the practicality?

Dun see any good used current gen Caymans out there south of 75k. This Boxster is only 65k CAD!
Attached Images

Last edited by BiscottiGelato; 11-29-2015 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Why not just buy a beater now and get the M2 of your dreams in April ? Why wait 20 months?

Dack
+1. This was the first thing that came to mind.

Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
Josh (PA)
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 135 vert, '13 x5, '03 e46

Used boxster should hold its value really well, I doubt it would be hard to unload for a fair price if you wanted to move to the M2 later. I'd expect the Boxster to limit the M2 desire after owning it for a while
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #8
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I'd expect the Boxster to limit the M2 desire after owning it for a while
Seriously, it's pretty rare that you hear of someone jumping ship from Porsche to BMW, usually it's the other way around unless they realize they cant afford the p car or they really need the practicality (ie children).

If OP tracks them often he's gonna have a really hard time getting out of the Boxster S and into the porky M2. I haven't driven the Boxster but I've driven a slew of P cars (911s and Cayman S) from 1970 to 2011 and I would take any of them over any BMW on the market as a track car, for a DD probably would take an M car.

*Coming from someone also very seriously considering the M2, but won't be tracking it

Last edited by fcman; 11-30-2015 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

The only Porsche I'd want is a 928 which I already have.

If you want a car expensive to buy, insure, & maintain, then a Porsche is for you.

If I were you, I'd buy a reliable used Corolla and wait for the M2 which will be here before you know it. Likely, you'll be very disappointed and will regret not getting another One!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
The only Porsche I'd want is a 928 which I already have.

If you want a car expensive to buy, insure, & maintain, then a Porsche is for you.

If I were you, I'd buy a reliable used Corolla and wait for the M2 which will be here before you know it. Likely, you'll be very disappointed and will regret not getting another One!
How bad is reliability and maintenance with the Porsche? Even tho the 928 and the 981 is so far apart in time that it's probably not a very good predictive indicator. The 981 probably would be worse....

The problem with the 1 is it's just not master of anything. To tune it for the track it's way to harsh for DD. Small wheel-well and small brakes for the vehicle weight + the overheat on the track. There isn't enough clearance for off pavement or heavy snow duty. You can basically get a taste of doing everything with the vehicle, but can't do any of them really well.

Hence the M2, or maybe even a 2 cars setup...
      11-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
How bad is reliability and maintenance with the Porsche? Even tho the 928 and the 981 is so far apart in time that it's probably not a very good predictive indicator. The 981 probably would be worse....
Porsches are extremely reliable if maintained properly. I wouldn't expect a 981 to cost significantly more than a BMW in terms of maintenance costs. Oil change every 1yr/10k, brake fluid every 20k. Nothing crazy

http://www.leithporsche.com/cdn.dlro...-checklist.pdf

M2 will probably be a good one for you though, it should do everything your 135 does but better. Really though we dont know until someone can actually drive it

Last edited by fcman; 11-30-2015 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
get a 2 car setup

boxster/cayman s preferred
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep

Rationalizations galore!

Quote:

The problem with the 1 is it's just not master of anything. To tune it for the track it's way to harsh for DD. Small wheel-well and small brakes for the vehicle weight + the overheat on the track. There isn't enough clearance for off pavement or heavy snow duty. You can basically get a taste of doing everything with the vehicle, but can't do any of them really well.

You have a lot of excuses why the One isn't supposedly fast enough on a track. The problem isn't the car it's you! It only takes two things to be a fast driver - skill & courage!

There is a story about a woman named Schmidt who is the Nurburgring Taxi Driver. I'll let you check out what that is. Anyway, she took a Ford van and lapped the complex so fast she was beating all the Porsche fan boys!

Next I know several of the top Porsche mechanics in my area, and I know what service and repairs cost on the vehicle. If you think BMW or Mercedes repairs and service are expensive, you are in for a shock when you take your Porsche in for its first service.

For comfort and good road manners, you can't beat the BMW. On the other hand, the Porsche has a tiny uncomfortable cockpit, and depending upon the road surface, the Porsche will let you know about every bump in the road.

Regarding my 928, it's a 1995 928 GTS in pristine condition with < 10,000 miles. The original sticker was $114,000! This car was meant as a replacement for the 911, but the 911 purists aka wackos put up such a hue and cry to force Porsche to abandon the car.

So in short, most people are never happy with what they have, and they think by spending more money they can get more of whatever. It is only the man who has the intelligence to appreciate what he has who'll ever be satisfied!
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #14
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Quote:

You have a lot of excuses why the One isn't supposedly fast enough on a track. The problem isn't the car it's you! It only takes two things to be a fast driver - skill & courage!

There is a story about a woman named Schmidt who is the Nurburgring Taxi Driver. I'll let you check out what that is. Anyway, she took a Ford van and lapped the complex so fast she was beating all the Porsche fan boys!

Next I know several of the top Porsche mechanics in my area, and I know what service and repairs cost on the vehicle. If you think BMW or Mercedes repairs and service are expensive, you are in for a shock when you take your Porsche in for its first service.

For comfort and good road manners, you can't beat the BMW. On the other hand, the Porsche has a tiny uncomfortable cockpit, and depending upon the road surface, the Porsche will let you know about every bump in the road.

Regarding my 928, it's a 1995 928 GTS in pristine condition with < 10,000 miles. The original sticker was $114,000! This car was meant as a replacement for the 911, but the 911 purists aka wackos put up such a hue and cry to force Porsche to abandon the car.

So in short, most people are never happy with what they have, and they think by spending more money they can get more of whatever. It is only the man who has the intelligence to appreciate what he has who'll ever be satisfied!
Well, my one is totalled. And there's no reason to pretend it's the best car ever. Every car has it's down side and I'm merely pointing out what it is on the one. Problem is not how fast. But how easy to put it into trackable condition. Vehicle weight and suspension geometry, which indirectly leads to brake fade and destroyed tire shoulders, is definitely an issue with the fundamental potential of the car. I'm not saying the car can't be fast in 1 lap. But to enjoy it for more laps, ur brakes do go and the tire shoulder leads to pre-mature tire death, or requires overly harsh sidewall tires. I actually don't need to go faster. But I just want to be able to have fun on the track with the minimum of mods and the 135i just isn't built ground up to be a trackable DD. I guess that's where Porsches and M cars comes. Or even maybe Miata and S2000. Right tool for the job, not necessarily more money thrown into it.
      12-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #15
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Save your money and buy a used spec Miata, could pick one up for $10-20,000.
Track ready and low running cost. Then get a daily driver.
I have a 2000 Miata I use for autocross and they are great fun to drive.
ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #16
Josh (PA)
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 135 vert, '13 x5, '03 e46

I have a number of friends with non IMS boxsters that have had excellent reliability. I'd not hesitate to own that 2013 and expect maintenance bills in the same order of magnitude of an out of warranty BMW. I think Mr Rooty Von Tooty is a little over the top on his assessment. I love my 1er, it's my favorite car I've ever owned, but I'd not argue the boxster will be better on the track.

Also, while I dig 928s for what they are, and have a real soft spot for a manual GTS, using them as a measuring stick on Porsche reliability is laughable.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #17
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
This car was meant as a replacement for the 911, but the 911 purists aka wackos put up such a hue and cry to force Porsche to abandon the car.
Not true. Yes, the 928 was originally intended to replace the 911 but 911 purists aren't the reason why the 928 was discontinued. The 928 actually sold fairly well, albeit below initial expectation. Regardless, the car still had an 18 year long production run which is quite impressive. Nevertheless, after nearly 20 years sales began to drop off and the car was nixed from production. Coincidentally right around the same time Jaguar axed the XJS.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge appreciator of the 928, especially an example like you've described, but it's a completely different car than the 911 and comparing them is akin to apples & oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Also, while I dig 928s for what they are, and have a real soft spot for a manual GTS, using them as a measuring stick on Porsche reliability is laughable.
I could not have said it better. As I stated above, I appreciate the 928 for what it is, but there is no forgetting that it came with a 7 foot timing belt. The air-cooled engines are not exactly bulletproof, but much more reliable in comparison.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #18
tglazed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

With your off road adventures it sounds like you need an STI or Evo, those are two easy cars to turn into a track ready dd. It sounds like a 1 series m coupe would fit just what you are trying to do and is the answer to all of your "negatives" about the 1 series. I am surprised that I am the first to say that a comfortable off road vehicle to take hiking and skiing and a track ready vehicle do not belong in the same sentence. With that said I would find a lotus exige s 😁
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 02:23 AM   #19
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglazed
With your off road adventures it sounds like you need an STI or Evo, those are two easy cars to turn into a track ready dd. It sounds like a 1 series m coupe would fit just what you are trying to do and is the answer to all of your "negatives" about the 1 series. I am surprised that I am the first to say that a comfortable off road vehicle to take hiking and skiing and a track ready vehicle do not belong in the same sentence. With that said I would find a lotus exige s 😁
Yeah. Leaning on a 2 car setup. Hoping for a trackable DD and a cheaper ski/hike road trip SUV and upgrade the SUV later.
      12-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, my one is totalled. And there's no reason to pretend it's the best car ever. Every car has it's down side and I'm merely pointing out what it is on the one. Problem is not how fast. But how easy to put it into trackable condition. Vehicle weight and suspension geometry, which indirectly leads to brake fade and destroyed tire shoulders, is definitely an issue with the fundamental potential of the car. I'm not saying the car can't be fast in 1 lap. But to enjoy it for more laps, ur brakes do go and the tire shoulder leads to pre-mature tire death, or requires overly harsh sidewall tires. I actually don't need to go faster. But I just want to be able to have fun on the track with the minimum of mods and the 135i just isn't built ground up to be a trackable DD. I guess that's where Porsches and M cars comes. Or even maybe Miata and S2000. Right tool for the job, not necessarily more money thrown into it.
Actually a Miata would be an excellent choice for racing. German sheet metal is just too expensive to bend. You could probably buy a dozen Miatas for the cost of one Porsche!

I understand that the Miata is the most popular car for amatuer racing. Also there is a boat load of accessories at very reasonable prices to set the car up properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 06:35 AM   #21
turbowolfe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: whiteout

Garage List
1987 911  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah. Leaning on a 2 car setup. Hoping for a trackable DD and a cheaper ski/hike road trip SUV and upgrade the SUV later.
Depending on your budget and what you have mentioned before, I would skip the M2, and go for a two car set up. I still have my 135i, and absolutely love it for a daily, and my 911 is my track car.

My suggestion would be to look at the 987.2 (2009 - 2012) cayman s. Those cars are completely reliable, fast, and there are a ton of suspension go fast goodies for them, from GT3 suspension bits to other items from Tarett. I am on the tech team for the Chicago Region PCA and it is amazing to me the reliability these cars have and how fast they are on the STOCK motor.

With just an exhaust, suspension, and brake pads the car is a beast.

I'd get a 987.2 cayman and a mid-90's toyota land cruiser as an adventure mobile. My wife owns our Adventure mobile/family hauler.

Also, have you considered looking for a 1m?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #22
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowolfe
Quote:
Depending on your budget and what you have mentioned before, I would skip the M2, and go for a two car set up. I still have my 135i, and absolutely love it for a daily, and my 911 is my track car.

My suggestion would be to look at the 987.2 (2009 - 2012) cayman s. Those cars are completely reliable, fast, and there are a ton of suspension go fast goodies for them, from GT3 suspension bits to other items from Tarett. I am on the tech team for the Chicago Region PCA and it is amazing to me the reliability these cars have and how fast they are on the STOCK motor.

With just an exhaust, suspension, and brake pads the car is a beast.

I'd get a 987.2 cayman and a mid-90's toyota land cruiser as an adventure mobile. My wife owns our Adventure mobile/family hauler.

Also, have you considered looking for a 1m?
I really like the 981. The 987 just doesn't look nearly as good inside and out. I want the track car to also be DD as it's where the most money is, so it makes sense to make sure that's the car I use the most. DD gotta have some luxuries~

1M would be too much like my previous 135i. If I want to go this route I'd wait for the M2.