BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #67
EINSER M
Major General

Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Piqued my curiosity, is it made of pMMA or PE? Can't find any info on PWC via google. First time hearing about PWC.
tantantan .... and PWC is....

EINSER M is offline   United_States
      02-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #68
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel

Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Poly Woven Composite sounds shady especially since almost nothing comes up on Google about it. I highly doubt Arkym is pioneering it or invented it. Probably just a marketing term they're using to hide its true material.

Arkym / PY has a really bad rep on the M3 side of the board.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770545
My guess is it is very similar to FRP but instead of splinterd fiberglass it is the fiberglass cloth.

FRP backing

Fiberglass woven cloth
08 AW 135i | Cobb | ETS FMIC | ER CP w/ Tial Bov | AR Catted Downpipes | Berk Mids | Meisterschaft GT SUS 1M |M3 Control Arms | M3 Sways | M3 Rear Subframe Bushings | Wavetrac LSD | AST 4200 DA Coilovers | HRE R43 | Hankook R-S3 |Full BMW Performance Interior | Revozport 1M Raze Aero Package in Satin Carbon |1M Body Conversion|
      02-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #69
Deeb0oXD
Private

Drives: 135i

I've held the bumper and carried the bumper when I brought it home. It flexes like a PU bumper but not as much as PP (polypropylene) which flexes as much more due to the material. It is NOT as hard and stuff as fiberglass.

I don't think I have seen an aftermarket shop that doesn't have at least one bad review. They have a bad rep in the e92 m3 forum, yet so many people run the Arkym CF diffuser on their e92 335s. You can't expect the same result in a different forum and chAssis.

Sometimes shops are stuck at the mercy of the manufacturer.

Just my 2 cents.

02-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #70
哇靠M3
Captain

Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Poly Woven Composite sounds shady especially since almost nothing comes up on Google about it. I highly doubt Arkym is pioneering it or invented it. Probably just a marketing term they're using to hide its true material.

Arkym / PY has a really bad rep on the M3 side of the board.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770545
Dunno how much you read on that thread. But the post is a joke since the guy refused to return a hood for refund. He thinks that he should be issued a full refund without returning a hood. Not sure who's right and wrong here.
      02-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #71
cooler2442
Brigadier General

Drives: '11 135 Sport DCT

Send a message via AIM to cooler2442 Send a message via Skype™ to cooler2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 哇靠~M3 View Post
Dunno how much you read on that thread. But the post is a joke since the guy refused to return a hood for refund. He thinks that he should be issued a full refund without returning a hood. Not sure who's right and wrong here.
So you want more examples?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...hlight=pyspeed

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...hlight=pyspeed
      02-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #72
Venom
Colonel

Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Send a message via AIM to Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
tantantan .... and PWC is....

lol, I am just surprised I couldn't find it. I am merely curious, I have dealt with a few different composites and even have a pMMA keychain I made back in my undergrad days. PWC seems fishy to me because its name doesn't signify its contents(what the composite material is). Woven is interesting to me because if memory serves you want to maintain the same thread directions for best resistance to tension(for that same direction of course), but its not like these bumpers will get pulled on. I would think the biggest importance for these bumper would be heat(for deformation, some plastics/polymers would deform around surrounding materials under significant heat (thermoelasticity)), hardness, and resistance to discoloration. But with an ambiguous name like PWC, I can't qualitatively say if it is a good material.

As I said earlier, not looking to bash, just merely curious what it is made out of. I am not a materials science expert, it's not my field of study. Other thing that is interesting is I can't find any weight numbers(especially vs. stock).

Prius is Latin for impotence.

Last edited by Venom; 02-17-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Venom is offline   United_States
      02-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #73
uberschnell
Brigadier General

Drives: // 135i //, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeb0oXD View Post
I've held the bumper and carried the bumper when I brought it home. It flexes like a PU bumper but not as much as PP (polypropylene) which flexes as much more due to the material. It is NOT as hard and stuff as fiberglass.

I don't think I have seen an aftermarket shop that doesn't have at least one bad review. They have a bad rep in the e92 m3 forum, yet so many people run the Arkym CF diffuser on their e92 335s. You can't expect the same result in a different forum and chAssis.

Sometimes shops are stuck at the mercy of the manufacturer.

Just my 2 cents.
Good to know. I'd definitely like to see it in person.

And for what it's worth, my experience with PY has been nothing but positive.
- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
uberschnell is offline   No_Country
      04-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #74
cartier

Drives: 1 430 hp,'10 335i next pjct

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
yay...now I can my car look like a wannabe 1M rather than a wannabe M3...

yawn
And your inglish is just az whyse az your comment...don't hate on people because you drive mom's caravan...

sorry all just m fanbois need to stop getting butt hurt over anything with a M in it. And don't care if its an old post.

Cool looking add on..I agree side skirts need some loving. ..
      04-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #75
Dmacc
Colonel

Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
yay...now I can my car look like a wannabe 1M rather than a wannabe M3...

yawn
And your inglish is just az whyse az your comment...don't hate on people because you drive mom's caravan...

sorry all just m fanbois need to stop getting butt hurt over anything with a M in it. And don't care if its an old post.

Cool looking add on..I agree side skirts need some loving. ..
What a thread revival

thanks to MGallop
      04-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #76
EINSER M
Major General

Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
What a thread revival

EINSER M is offline   United_States