BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2022, 09:25 AM   #1
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Clunk When Selecting Reverse, Video Attached

Hello,

My car is a 2008 128i automatic. Over the summer I had noticed a metallic clunk when selecting reverse when I would back out of the garage, but I thought nothing of it as my e46 did the same throughout my ownership.

However, as it has gotten pretty cold here in Toronto I have been noticing other clunks in the suspension. Mainly, the front sway-bars links when it has gotten past -8c or so. Those will be done when summer comes around as the clunks only happen when the car sits outside and seems to disappear after 10 mins or so of driving when everything gets warm.

Now, the clunking when selecting reverse. I know there have been many threads of this posted over the years on various bmw forums. My concern only comes now as I have gotten the chance to get under the car and check things out. When I was looking at the rear end I noticed (aside form the rust, canada ) that the axles move when shifted by hand in and out. Im only concerned because of the amount of play I saw. The sound doesn't really bother me all that much, but I am unsure if this is a concern.

The clunk heard in the attached video is what is heard when selecting reverse, although, it is quieter in the video because of the force being applied by hand. The second one is the noise in question, the pass rear.

My question is if this play is normal? Should I be worried?

Also, no vibrations are felt from the drivetrain when driving.

Any help would be appreciated!

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 12:10 PM   #2
racerhawk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

If you mean you are grabbing the CV shafts and there is axial movement of the shaft in and out of the CV joint, if I'm understanding you right, I think that is normal.

My 128i clunks or jerks when shifted between Park or Neutral into drive or reverse. I'm guessing like you I might have engine or trans mount going out and it's not wear in the differential or drive shafts, not really sure as again I don't know want is considered normal operation for the 128i
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 10:10 PM   #3
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerhawk View Post
If you mean you are grabbing the CV shafts and there is axial movement of the shaft in and out of the CV joint, if I'm understanding you right, I think that is normal.

My 128i clunks or jerks when shifted between Park or Neutral into drive or reverse. I'm guessing like you I might have engine or trans mount going out and it's not wear in the differential or drive shafts, not really sure as again I don't know want is considered normal operation for the 128i
More so worried about the more metallic click from the second one in the video which is pass side.

Could low diff fluid cause this? Or is play and the clunk due to the possible worn bushings and the shifting of the whole drivetrain when selecting a gear?

When I first noticed it I did pop the hood and rev the engine and there wasn't much movement of the engine itself. So in my mind the engine mounts are fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 10:53 PM   #4
racerhawk
Private
Rep

I can't see the video. It says video unavailable.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 08:00 AM   #5
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerhawk View Post
I can't see the video. It says video unavailable.
should be visible now
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:43 PM   #6
racerhawk
Private
Rep

I can see the video now. It does look like a lot of play in the half shafts, but not sure that it's not normal. I'd think if the half shaft were worn you'd have other symptoms beside just a clunk going into reverse as worn CV joints usually act up while driving, vibrate and make noise etc.
Appreciate 0