BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #23
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

You see, im not so crazy afterall :wink:
      05-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #24
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Take a look at the rear springs, they are not a straight, progressive coil. it's Almost urn shaped, and the coils at both ends are formed to fit on specific spring perches. So, (again) if you cut the rear springs (as you were inquiring about), you WILL mess things up, and have springs flopping around, unable to stay in the perches, since you made that 2" opening, to go over the perch, a 5" opening.

Cutting coils might work on straight, linearly coiled springs. These are not manufactured that way.

Again, do you have any affilliation with Active Autowerks? You live where they are, and have it listed as your homepage in your profile.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #25
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep

Well I am sorry for trying to spark some interest, and have people to think outside the box. I just wanted to see peoples opinions. Not always what you deem as wrong is the wrong choice. Im sorry if i have offended you in any way shape of form. And im sorry to the forum member to have wasted your time making you read this thread, and using the bandwidth. Dont worry I have left my H&R's alone, and might go with some Koni adjustables soon, or maybe coils when the competiton gets better.

Im sorry, no I have no affiliation with active autowerke. I wish I did, my car might be quite modded if it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Take a look at the rear springs, they are not a straight, progressive coil. it's Almost urn shaped, and the coils at both ends are formed to fit on specific spring perches. So, (again) if you cut the rear springs (as you were inquiring about), you WILL mess things up, and have springs flopping around, unable to stay in the perches, since you made that 2" opening, to go over the perch, a 5" opening.

Cutting coils might work on straight, linearly coiled springs. These are not manufactured that way.

Again, do you have any affilliation with Active Autowerks? You live where they are, and have it listed as your homepage in your profile.
      05-31-2008, 04:49 PM   #26
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post

I think its good to keep an open mind and question everything. If not, we'd all be the same How do you think the first racecar was born? Probably some guy drinking a beer, calling himself an engineer, putting some friends together and saying "damn, I think this would be faster if we_______________ and you see what happened after that. The 1 series was born. And then, godzilla rained fire from the sky, lighting tokyo ablaze.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #27
r_seng
End Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: Devil's Chariot

Never, ever, cut or heat springs. Keep in mind you drive a BMW not a civic, don't cheap out. I am still finding a hard time beliving that you even considered this and "kept in mind that aftermarket springs work better cut".

C'mon, you gotta me sh*tin me.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #28
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep

Why does everyone always talk down to civics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_seng View Post
Never, ever, cut or heat springs. Keep in mind you drive a BMW not a civic, don't cheap out. I am still finding a hard time beliving that you even considered this and "kept in mind that aftermarket springs work better cut".

C'mon, you gotta me sh*tin me.
      06-13-2008, 03:33 AM   #29
r_seng
End Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: Devil's Chariot

well more specifically the "ricers" out there and this in turn tends to be civics.

seriously though, just my two cents, don't modify you springs in any way, its for you and your car's safety.
Appreciate 0