09-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #45
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
agreed. anyone powder-coat this color before? Is there a way to find out BMW exact color/ paint used?
Prince should know the paint color code for this wheel. he should be back on the thread later today (i'm assuming).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #46
Prince Recon
Rep
Drives: 2010 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
Prince should know the paint color code for this wheel. he should be back on the thread later today (i'm assuming).
When it comes to wheels, most manufacturers do not provide paint codes like you would find for the body of the car. Unfortunetly this leads to problems when trying to match a custom color to what the customer wants. The only way to be sure we are creating the color that perfectly matches what the customer is wanting is to have another wheel on hand with the correct color to view during the process.

As mentioned earlier, all of the hyper silver, hyper black, chrome shadow colors are a 3 stage process. The middle stage of applying the thin silver coating is where we need another wheel to view so everything is being looked at in the same lighting and the number of coats applied can be adapted to match the original.

Without such a wheel on hand there needs to be an understanding that we will try to match a photo as close as possible, but the shading we see compared to what is desired may turn out slightly different.

We have had many, many happy customers on the M5board, but in most of those projects we were able to use one of the original wheels as a match for the first three, then refinished that original wheel to be the same as those first three. A few times we were asked to make the wheels a little darker or lighter than the originals were and they turned out fine, but there is still the vague question of how much is "a little darker or lighter" in the customer's eyes compared to the technician spraying the wheel.

Even doing gold colors colors can be tricky unless the customer comes in to look at some color swatches. Some gold colors are more yellow and others more orange. We don't want to finish a project to then have the customer say it isn't the color they had in mind.

Justin
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #47
Prince Recon
Rep
Drives: 2010 VW GTI

For something a little different, since gold has been brought up a few times, here is a set of wheels that we did for a customer named Ivan in Charlotte. As you can see they were originally silver with a machined lip and he wanted to go all gold.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #48
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Matte Bronze TSW Nurburgring ~20"

I decided to do a quick photochop as I don't have any photoshop software at work. I think I would like this a lot! What do you guys think? AW/Matte Bronze

Name:  untitled1M.JPG
Views: 3912
Size:  18.3 KB

09-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #49
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Awesomeness!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #50
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I decided to do a quick photochop as I don't have any photoshop software at work. I think I would like this a lot! What do you guys think? AW/Matte Bronze

Attachment 580748

I like it a lot
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #51
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

The thread seems to be mostly about what colors work well, and it's definitely the fun side of the subject.

I'll throw in about powdercoating though - in my experience (about 10 different wheels (some new, some repaired) with different shops) it just doesn't ever meet my expectations. If you are going to do it at all, powdercoating is the method to go with. But if you expect a stock like new finish that will last a long time you will be disappointed.

Problems I have run into in the past: Durability - a pressure washer at a DIY car wash can blast away the finish (this is from a foot or two away, not right on the wheel). Changing a tire can grab the new powdercoat around the lip of the wheel on it's way off and rip out a nice piece of it. Hitting it with a socket, even lightly, when installing the wheels will knock a real small chunk off. Peeling wheel weights off, even after youv'e done one and know what not to do, will pull up the pwdercoating with the weights themselves. And as for appearance - the faces of the wheels are easy to coat and get well covered, but the inside of the wheel itself is usually hit & miss. Even though they turn it over to get it all coated it just never seems to thoroughly cover the inside.

Again just my opinion but based on some experience. If you must repair a wheel, get it powdercoated. If you are looking for an interesting new color, just buy wheels that are already that color. No powdercoating I have been around comes even close to the finish or durability, and yes these are from the "good" shops around here with the great reputations. They are best in town but it's no match for original. I for one won't bother with it again. it looks great for a year but goes downhill after that.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #52
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

found the exact color that I am looking for. i think this would contrast BSM perfectly, and it's a stock BMW wheel color. Justin, can you match up this color? do I need to get a wheel for you to properly match? maybe you or I could get one from hendrick or something? it's close to the Advan RS wheel in color, but appears to be a shade lighter which would be perfect. if you could do the same job on my stock 1M wheels that you did with that Advan repair...I am SO SOLD!!

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #53
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Yep, looks good, that's about the color my wheels are after a week of brake dust.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #54
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Make it happen mate...............
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #55
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

That color would look great on an AW as well.
Appreciate 0