BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #1
Stevesas12
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Redline MT-LV better than DCTF for transmission?

Hi guys,

I want to change my transmission fluid. Just normal notchiness especially selecting 1st quickly when lights change.
Service records show was last done in 2015 and 10k miles ago at BMW.
Now I know there is a sticky for all fluids, but just wondered if anyone got to the bottom whether Redline is better for wear & shifting feel in our boxes?
Redline still say that DCTF is the one for our car even though they're manual transmission?
Is it because it compares to the BMW MTF-L-5 which is what BMW use?
When you look on Bimmerworld for instance it doesn't include the 1m in the description list for DCTF, but it does for the MT-LV:
Recommended as a direct replacement for these specific models:

1 Series
E82 (2008-2013) > 128i
E82 (2008-2013) > 135i
E82 (2008-2013) > 135is
E82 (2011-2012) > 1M Coupe

So, any opinions on this Redline vs MTF-L-5 or equivalent?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Check this out:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ighlight=grail
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
Stevesas12
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
Thank you
Appreciate 1
cjb7621221.50
      08-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Interesting. On the track I have no choice but to make the three to downshift fairly quickly while breaking, and I definitely feel like the sink rose or not up to the task. I wonder if this fluid would improve on that, but obviously I wouldn't want to be wrong when I'm using the car that way. I may throw this in the next time I swap fluid.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I would stay with BMW LT-5 myself. Back in the day, 2011, when the 1M came out, they specified LT-5 which was new and referenced a new coating on the synchros for the new fluid. I don't believe other brands like RedLine changed their formula since then so for long term durability, I would try LT5 first then if not happy change it in a year before going outside. There is this strange thing that happens when people change car parts. They will say....I changed from stock X to Y and it was a big improvement. So this validates their thinking that the new product was better than stock. This has to do with you are replacing a 8 year old fluid, 12 year old shock or 9 year old worn tire so ANYTHING you put on will be better. So I guarantee you that if you have old fluid anything you put in it will probably feel better at first and make you feel like you picked a better product. The LT5 is a long life fluid, with the goal of keeping the gearbox happy for many years under normal conditions. This is the data you have provided. Normal conditions and the best fluid for your ZF transmission under normal conditions is the fluid the German Transmission Engineers at ZF say is the best fluid for normal operation. That is not me saying it, that is German Transmission Experts saying it. It's not some fluid manufacturer trying to sell you their product. ZF doesn't make money probably from the BMW LT5 fluid. So my humble opinion, along with a cadre of German Transmission experts at ZF Gmbh feel that BMW LT5 is best in your case. It's an easy swap and you will notice a difference the first day when you put fresh fluid in there. I change mine every 4 years regardless of miles. I do this because when I first purchased bottles of BMW LT5, I noticed that they came with a use by date which was about 5 years from fluid mfg date. This means that these same aforementioned fluid engineers feel that the gearbox fluid deteriorates somewhat even sitting in a bottle.

finally, the other thing that happens often is the Racing thing. Well if its good for racing must be better for the street.... nope, not true. I have worked for a world class racing team myself in the test department and this is not true. Fluids for example that are designed for short term high stress situations use additives and components that help them survive short term but might not be compatible for long life. When I worked for Nissan in their GTP program for example we used racing fuel with high levels of Toluene. Toluene is the main component of plastic model glue that melts plastic. So your racing fuel might start melting plastic components in the your fuel system. Some racing oils designed for racing are meant to last a grueling race and are not LL-01 designed hold up long term with direct injected engines and fuel mixing with oil. Remember DOT5 Silicone brake fluid for racing that all the cone racers were putitng in their cars in the 90s and having issues. So I know you didn't mention racing yourself but I see Redline brought up a lot on this fluid discussions. If I was racing, I would consider it and have tested it myself but that would be with different expectations but for normal use, I strongly recommend you trying LT5 at least once so you can compare stock new fluid with stock old fluid. Best wishes.
Appreciate 0