Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
1M and CS Photoshoot and Comparison

Couldn't resist a few pics with the new brother....cousin? Nephew? Anyway, enjoy!
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 16
CJBeau555.50
1'M Blue254.00
atl_1M1520.00
Tornado1M1211.00
seis-speed2430.50
Tuxedo1409.00
1mGator143.50
ayao643.00
ando2002.00
cncmastr1590.00
      03-05-2021, 05:12 AM   #2
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Lookin Good. I like the M2CS !
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      03-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Not only does he have a beautiful 1M and a gorgeous M2CS, but he has a three car garage and I suspect a great view. A person could be envious.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

You have a great pair!

Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      03-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
goodboy1451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Couldn't resist a few pics with the new brother....cousin? Nephew? Anyway, enjoy!
Quote:
Luke (M2CS), I am your father!
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      03-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Beautiful. The best of both worlds. One for the backroads and one for the track.

Admittedly biased, but I'm still partial to the 1 M. Just looks so perfectly chiseled, and VO skin with silver polished 359's just completes the look, in my humble opinion.

Waiting for a comparison review as weather and time permits.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #7
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

The CS is awesome, but I have to say the 1M has aged really well!
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      03-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberWagon View Post
The CS is awesome, but I have to say the 1M has aged really well!
Agreed! Timeless.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:00 PM   #9
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue135 View Post
Not only does he have a beautiful 1M and a gorgeous M2CS, but he has a three car garage and I suspect a great view. A person could be envious.
That is why I am hanging with him on June 12th.

Great pics CarJunkie
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      03-12-2021, 04:06 PM   #10
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

How are those new sport cup 2 tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #11
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UN1CORM View Post
How are those new sport cup 2 tires?
Not sure if you are asking me....I ordered my CS with PSS. When they wear out, it will get PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #12
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Not sure if you are asking me....I ordered my CS with PSS. When they wear out, it will get PS4S.
Yes CarJunkie , I didn’t know you could spec the tires. Curious to get firsthand review of the new 240 wear compound.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      03-12-2021, 08:16 PM   #13
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
A lot of people in various forums have asked me for to compare the 1M and M2cs since I now have both.....Where to start? I needed to organize my thoughts to get started.

Engine:
The 1M's N54 tune (370 ft-lb, 332 hp) felt linear and responsive in stock form, although despite coming from a much lower powered car, I always though it needed a little more. With basic mods and a tune, the car now has what I consider to be the perfect amount of power for a track toy....but of course a larger intercooler and tune that asks for more boost does enhance the lag. The power is more in the midrange (450 ft-lb and 380 hp 5900 rpm at wheels). There is no reason to rev out beyond 6k rpms unless there just isn't enough straight left to make the shift worthwhile. On the flip side, the torque at 3k rpms often eliminates an otherwise necessary downshift. I'll take it.

The S55 as tuned for the CS is more linear, as evidenced at a glance by having more horsepower than torque, and it delivers that to redline with nearly no lag. I recently posted some spreadsheets calculating optimal shift points and it is actually best to rev this baby out to 7k. It is predictable, smooth, and easy to modulate. I don't think the car needs more....the locked DME doesn't bother me a bit.

Verdict:
Advantage M2cs....plenty of power, more than advertised, obviously a more refined twin turbo engine with a volumetrically efficient intake setup, and excellent drivability.

Transmission:
The 1M 6MT was a challenge when new because I had driven manuals all my life and knew what they were supposed to feel like. Installation of a BMS clutch stop and elimination of the CDV made it behave like a "normal" MT, and was easy enough to do, although irritating to have to do that. Before those mods (my only mods until warranty expired), I couldn't make a smooth shift if I tried. Now the clutch action is perfect and the gear changes are quick, light, mechanical and accurate. I love rowing the gears, and rev matching with heel-toe. The pedal position is perfect for heel-toe.

For the CS, I chose the DCT because I wanted a DCT before they (sniff) become extinct in BMWs, and I still have two fun manual cars (including both track cars) to play with. I struggled with the decision a bit, especially with everyone's emphasis here on weight and purity, but now having gotten used to it I have to say I love the DCT. In D2 mode, it reads my mind of how I would drive every day. Set it and forget it. If I am going to go into sequential manual mode, I use S3 since I never use that mode if I am looking for smooth comfort. I want it to just do what I say when I say, and it does. It's awesome. I honestly don't know if I would use D3 or S3 on track....it'll be a few years before I find out.

Verdict:
this one's a tie....can't really compare. They are both great at what they are. While the manual in the 1M is great now, I had to change parts to get there. It not for that, I may have given it a win. I have heard a rumor the CS manual is plagued the same way, but the fixes are now harder. Boo.

Steering feel and responsiveness:
The 1M has the best steering feedback of any car I've owned. This was the case new, and was only enhanced with the solid spherical upper mounts in the camber plates. Turn-in response was lacking when new, but that was really improved with the camber plates. The steering wheel always communicates what is happening under the front of the car, making it easy to find and maintain the limit.

The steering in my 2018 X5 was a clear example of how NOT to program EPS, and driving it back to back with the 1M for the past 3 years really helped me identify what EPS does wrong. The CS EPS is clearly a world ahead, but driving the CS and 1M back to back still demonstrates the difference. The EPS responds to inputs as well as the hydraulic rack in the 1M, but it does not instruct the hands nearly as well....better, but not perfect. I may roil a few feathers here, but I still think the EPS in my 2005 Rx8 is still better at feedback. It's so good, I forgot it was electric and asked the dealer to flush the power steering fluid when I bought the car last year...It comes out of storage today, so I'll be able to compare more soon.

Turn-in response is very crisp in the CS, and it rotates really well. It is difficult to remember precisely, but it is definitely far better than the 1M was stock.

Verdict:
Advantage 1M for steering feel
Advantage CS for turn-in response in stock form.

Mechanical Grip:
The 1M chassis had way too much understeer at the limit, and most efforts to induce rotation with throttle resulted in snap oversteer. It was very difficult to set up the perfect corner without excessive push. I have methodically dialed that out over the years with camber, coilovers, front sway bar, and it is now a very fun corner carver. Amazingly, I think the CS has more mechanical grip that the 1M in its current state. I am certain the chassis would still understeer at the limit, but I have been truly impressed with how well it holds the road at 8/10's, and it is a steadying more grip from the PSS than I expected, being used to PS4S on the 1M.

Verdict:
Advantage CS

Brakes:
CS wins. No further discussion needed.

Road comfort:
The CS in comfort mode is really nice. I don't think the 1M was ever this comfortable, and mine definitely isn't this comfortable now. Even in Sport+, the CS is more comfortable than the street settings on my Ohlins, and the chassis feel nearly as sharp. I commented above on the mechanical grip, and what is most amazing is that it feels more grippy in all chassis modes, despite the better comfort.

Verdict: Advantage CS

Creature comforts:
The seats in the CS offer more lateral support than the 1M seats, but I would say comfort level is similar. I think a true racing seat would be needed for both if the car was going to spend its whole life on the track.

Road noise may actually be worse on the CS....hard to say because the 1M exhaust is louder....but I swear the 1M's tires are quieter despite being worn.

The newer iDrive and Nav features are clearly better in the CS.

I am not sure I love the alcantara steering wheel. I need to grip it more firmly than I like to keep my hands from slipping down, or I need to support the weight of my arms somewhere, either on the bolsters or just hold them up. I may buy a leather performance wheel. I don't miss the armrest at all and may actually delete the armrest from the 1M, so that isn't the issue. I just like having a light grip on leather and letting my arms relax.

I didn't think I would say it....but I miss comfort access. The 1M has it, the X5 had it. Every time I approach the CS, I forget to reach into my pocket for the key until I have pulled unsuccessfully on the door handle. Every time.

The 1M's Harman Kardon sound system is better, has more bass punch, crisper highs, higher overall volume capacity, and 5 band equalizer.

Verdict:
Advantage 1M. Out of the box the 1M was better on creature comforts, but of course I ruined many of it's comfort attributes. This is why I was wanting something as fun out of the box, without needing mods, and found the CS.

Appearance, rarity and "it" factor:
The 1M is a Frankenstein monster with a combination of classic (if Bangle is now classic!) BMW styling and caricatured flares making it clear that hit was an afterthought. The story is as cool as the look. The CS is more subtle while being far more featured. My wife things the 1M will age better with time from a design standpoint. I'm not sure.

I have grown accustomed to seeing people stare and take photos and video while I am driving or parked in public places. Over time, that has faded slightly with the 1M, and it is definitely happening with the CS. With both cars, it seems to be only the people who know what it is who get excited about seeing it.

Verdict:
Advantage 1M. The CS looks amazing, but the bulldog stance of the 1M is hard to beat, and I still think the e46 M3 was the best looking BMW of all time, with a steady decline since then, 1M, CS, and G8x following suit (although the G-series may have fallen off a cliff).

So, here we are with the CS picking up more wins for me, especially when it comes to the driving dynamics. I have tried to remember how the 1M was when stock, as many of the driving dynamics comparisons are much closer (and probably advantage to the 1M) in its current form. It is truly amazing how good the CS is while being so well mannered on the road.

Could I pick an overall winner? No.

Could I choose one to let go of? No.

If a friend had both available to buy in stock form, a brand new CS vs an ultra low mile 1M in mint condition (which would probably sell for at least CS money) which would I recommend he buy? That's easy: The CS.....but only because it isn't possible for him to go back in time and buy the 1M at its original MSRP, or even 5k over which is what I had to pay. So that isn't really an answer, is it?

This was a fun exercise. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Appreciate 12
dimeo187519.00
PRTSB1M300.00
1'M Blue254.00
mtl8852.00
Tornado1M1211.00
atl_1M1520.00
eeghie299.50
Fakemike368.50
ayao643.00
Mdawood121.50
Dee Pee176.00
      03-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #14
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I shared my thought here and in some other forums the other day, and managed to get the attention of the BMWBlog editor....it's now published! I'll add it to my CV! 😉

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/03/14/bmw-1m-versus-m2-cs/
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1211.00
PRTSB1M300.00
      03-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #15
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
I shared my thought here and in some other forums the other day, and managed to get the attention of the BMWBlog editor....it's now published! I'll add it to my CV! 😉

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/03/14/bmw-1m-versus-m2-cs/
That's just awesome!

😎
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:53 PM   #16
Rod 69
Enlisted Member
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M 2012.

Garage List
2021 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2012 1M  [9.50]
Quote:
Gorgeous toys. Have !M + M2C, would like to know intercooler and protection installed on the 1M. Recommend you to install protection on the M2C as radiators and intercooler too exposed to chips and rocks.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 11:19 PM   #17
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod 69 View Post
Quote:
Gorgeous toys. Have !M + M2C, would like to know intercooler and protection installed on the 1M. Recommend you to install protection on the M2C as radiators and intercooler too exposed to chips and rocks.
I have the ADEngineering 1" stepped intercooler. There is a custom shroud and shield for the oil cooler setup, but that is more about directing airflow. There is no added protection for the FMIC and coolant radiators.

Front and rear oil cooler protection. The cooler itself has twice the surface area of the original, hence the enlarged rear opening and custom shroud and screen to replace the ramp on the front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      06-19-2021, 10:52 AM   #18
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

"Trophy wives."
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #19
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
"Trophy wives."
:
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #20
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I had been waiting for a 1M vs CS writeup … not sure how I missed this!
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      06-19-2021, 07:57 PM   #21
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I had been waiting for a 1M vs CS writeup … not sure how I missed this!
It also ended up in BMWBlog about a week after I put it here.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #22
Podge1M
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Great write up … thanks for sharing! 🙂
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50