11-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #23
1Madness
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_h View Post
Depending on whether the guts of your car have a combox or the MULF,
a regular iPod cable won't work and you need to use the special bmw cable that has a separate audio out feature/cable in addition to the dock connector.
Thanks Nathan - I'm not familiar with combox or MULF. Can you explain how I can tell which one that I have.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #24
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton AW MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvs View Post
My 1M works with a regular Apple USB cable.
Do you have nav?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #25
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Madness View Post
Thanks Nathan - I'm not familiar with combox or MULF. Can you explain how I can tell which one that I have.
Here's a silly answer but true as far as I know:

If you have MULF, usb etc will work but you must use the special BMW cable for an ipod (which uses the dock connector on the ipod for control, but uses the headphone out on the ipod to route audio through the aux input).

If you have the Combox, you can use a regular ipod cable, alone, and the audio will get routed through the ipod cable (connected to the ipod's dock connector) as long as the format is compatible (mp3 I think, and at least for some model years, not AAC/apple format).

This is a picture of an aftermarket BMW ipod cable. Based on what you have written, I think you need one of these.

Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #26
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Madness View Post
I payed $400 for my iPod/USB. I just got my car two weeks ago. Week 39 build. I've tried two different cables and it comes up with the same screen - that my cable is not compatible.

I just tried -Z- suggestion and it still does not work in my car.
Your dealer was supposed to include the official BMW ipod cable (like in my post above) with your car. Mine was sitting shrink wrapped in the glove box when I took delivery.

It the dealer won't pony up, you may need to send a note to BMWNA.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #27
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton AW MT

I needed the special cable called "y-cable" in Sweden Cars without nav doesnt have combox!?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #28
johnr265
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

US 1Ms do NOT need nor do they come with a special cable (I asked many times of many people and my regular ipod cable works fine).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #29
johnr265
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

On a similar (yet slightly different note), does anyone have problems with a paired bluetooth phone either not connecting once bluetooth on the phone has been activated or even have it drop the connection, even after making a phone call in the car on the same trip? I have a Droid and most of the time, it works fine but sometimes, the stereo just doesn't seem to see it and I can't figure out how to get it recognize it. I even try re-pairing it but the two don't seem to see each other. It is kind of frustrating.

It seems to work the best if I leave bluetooth turned on all the time on the phone and then start up the car rather than trying to turn on bluetooth on the phone after the CAR is already on. I still get occasional times where it just doesn't work right.
Appreciate 0