BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

P Zero. & new car alignment

Just had the runflat removed. Interestingly, the alignment was way off so I will have to take the 125i in just to check it, that might explain some of the problems I had with steering.

Judging from just a short drive, the PZero are fantastic, ride is much better, and I can feel the difference with the pickup as well which must be due to the lower unsprung weight. To top that, it cost less than $800 for the changeover.

Will post more once I have a longer drive in the next few days.

I have got some prices as well, so just PM me. They are generic prices, but they said they are always going to be happy to do a deal.

From their feedback with their other customers, the PZeros and PS2 are the pick, if you want something to last longer, it would have to be the Nero or Rossos or PS2. Conti3 is about $100-$150 per tyre more and the feed back is that they heats up way too much and get soggy, and also the noise levels are pretty poor. Thread wear is also quite poor as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

I too am looking at the Pirelli option. You said $800 changeover. Does this mean you traded your old tyres in or did you pay $200 a corner? Cheers
      07-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I've got conti 3's and I can say they are excellent tyres for driving (not racing), quiet on the highway (no real tyre noise to speak of) and good for general driving and going around corner, grip and comfort is much better the RFT.

In regards to heating up and going soft, this would only really be valid if you plan on tracking you car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qship View Post
I too am looking at the Pirelli option. You said $800 changeover. Does this mean you traded your old tyres in or did you pay $200 a corner? Cheers
I trade my old tires in, which only had 1000kms.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I trade my old tires in, which only had 1000kms.
Anyone know if a company has a similar policy in Sydney???
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
bc201
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 330i

Garage List
2008 135i E88  [0.00]
http://www.agrtyres.com.au/

I traded in my set of 17" rims /w BS050 run flat for 18" rim /w PS2 on my z4 last year. My old set was turbine style and 90% tread on tyres. He gave me $900 trade in.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
Anyone know if a company has a similar policy in Sydney???
You just have to ask, runflats are very expensive, and a near new set with massive discount is always appealing to people. Basically, the owner of the store said when you tell someone it cost $800-$900/tire for the runflats, a near new set is at a fraction of a cost is very appealing. Otherwise, sell them here I am sure there will be takers.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Today I bought the M Mobility Kit which includes a bottle of glue and a compressor. It probably weight about 5kgs . So shaving those kgs off the tyres which now passed to the boot. Well.. sprung weight I guess is always better than unsprung.

i am not breaking the tyre in for 1000kms, and it would also comes to the end of my breakin period. After the oil change, it would be nice to finally see the beast let loose!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #9
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Today I bought the M Mobility Kit which includes a bottle of glue and a compressor. It probably weight about 5kgs . So shaving those kgs off the tyres which now passed to the boot. Well.. sprung weight I guess is always better than unsprung.

i am not breaking the tyre in for 1000kms, and it would also comes to the end of my breakin period. After the oil change, it would be nice to finally see the beast let loose!
Who did you deal with? And what were the generic prices they quoted for the pzeros?

I got quoted almost $2000 for the 4 and they do not do trade ins ( The guy was pretty clueless as his comment was '' they're worth nothing to me'' ... I doubt he knew they were runflats and were indeed worth a lot!) This was just one of the Bob Jane T Marts so I could get a rough indication of pricing.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Bob Jane Maroochydore, generic prices for PZeros are $2000 for the four tyres, but they said they will do a deal, especially with a few cars on board. I will pm you with the details.

Been driving on it on the highway today, and they are absolutely sensational, you do get more body lean though, but grip are fantastic.

I had a near miss yesterday when someone was trying to run right without looking - would have t boned me, but I just swirve, grip and stop. No squeech... nothing... and the tyres were cold as I have just pulled away 50 meters.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Bob Jane Maroochydore, generic prices for PZeros are $2000 for the four tyres, but they said they will do a deal, especially with a few cars on board. I will pm you with the details.

Been driving on it on the highway today, and they are absolutely sensational, you do get more body lean though, but grip are fantastic.

I had a near miss yesterday when someone was trying to run right without looking - would have t boned me, but I just swirve, grip and stop. No squeech... nothing... and the tyres were cold as I have just pulled away 50 meters.
Thanks for that, I read your pm before reading this post so you can disregard the pm I sent you! Maroochydore is so far for me though, a good 150km!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #12
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
..... I just ordered my Toyo's (225 & 255's) for around $1,600.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Interesting the first post, the wheel alignment was way out.

Has anyone else had there first alignment and told the alignment was way out. I have had that 8 times or so and wonder if its just the aligner or others have the same issue. I'm talking about standard cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

I took mine back to the dealer about a week after getting the car as I felt the alignment was out. Dealer said I was mad but we'll check it anyway. They then admitted it was significantly out, particularly at the rear. No probs since.
      07-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Apparently they ensure they do the alignment before they do the delivery. May be the way the alignment was done is different - I don't remember the figures, but the toe was way out.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 03:00 AM   #16
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Apparently they ensure they do the alignment before they do the delivery. May be the way the alignment was done is different - I don't remember the figures, but the toe was way out.
Got mine done today, thanks for the info Sparoz. Pirelli P Zero 225/255. Andrew was very friendly however the rest were a bit clueless. And I dont believe it takes 3 hours for fitting as thats how long I waited! The discount was not great - I only got $600 for my runflats with 6000km and in very good condition. However I was already there so went ahead with it. Had I known I could have offered them to a forum member.

My 275/315 20 inch non runflats on my X5 took less than an hour.

My toe was also way out apparently.

Rant over, to the tyres:

Comfort: Only mild improvement
Grip: cornering is improved a great deal, I also find that there is not as much body roll
Traction: from a dig, much improved, much less wheelspin.

Overall am happy with the initial results but the 3 hr wait was a bit excessive I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 04:48 AM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
Got mine done today, thanks for the info Sparoz. Pirelli P Zero 225/255. Andrew was very friendly however the rest were a bit clueless. And I dont believe it takes 3 hours for fitting as thats how long I waited! The discount was not great - I only got $600 for my runflats with 6000km and in very good condition. However I was already there so went ahead with it. Had I known I could have offered them to a forum member.

My 275/315 20 inch non runflats on my X5 took less than an hour.

My toe was also way out apparently.

Rant over, to the tyres:

Comfort: Only mild improvement
Grip: cornering is improved a great deal, I also find that there is not as much body roll
Traction: from a dig, much improved, much less wheelspin.

Overall am happy with the initial results but the 3 hr wait was a bit excessive I think.
I will pass it on to David next time I see him. Forgot to mention only speak to Andrew or David - the rest had no idea.

Should have dropped in to my shop - I think MattyV was there too, he dropped his card in my shop today. I would have come down and entertain ya .
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
btw, did you ring ahead and book?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #19
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
btw, did you ring ahead and book?
Yes, booked and confirmed 2 days ahead. Appt was for 12pm, traffic was horrendous and I didnt get there until 12.20pm. Didnt get my car back until 3.30pm! Andrew saw me just after 1pm when I came back from lunch and said that my car was already on and ''it wouldn't be too much longer''.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #20
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I had my PZero's fitted yesterday and I'm thankful I did for all the reasons mentioned above. Took about an hour and a half to fit, balance and align. My alignment wasn't out much either apparently *shrug*

I noticed I must have caught a stone on each of the rear rims, I found a small love bite on both when I was admiring the new hoops.

Andrew and David were both very friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with all around, thanks for the referral, Sparoz!

(I dropped into your work to say hi but I think you were still in bed! )
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Yes, I didn't get up till 11am - washed up the 120d so that I can start selling it. x5mad was there too, could have gone and have some coffee - great coffee shop down at cotton tree.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #22
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
As a bit of an update, I've had the new shoes on the car for almost 2 weeks now and I can say it was a great choice.

I drove from Bris Vegas to Toowoomba this morning to spend a couple of days with clients in the city and the drive was the best to date, the difference between the Pirelli's and RFT's is very noticable on the bumpy highway road with the Pirelli's winning hands down in comfort and ride quality.

They also seem to stick better when things get spicey too, although I'll have a better idea of this after I go for a drive on the weekend. I've been holding off until the new rubber has been scrubbed in ok.

A trip to Maleny next weekend with the new gf should be enjoyable for a few more reasons now too
Appreciate 0