01-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
The larger sensor is for high-beam assist (i.e., the feature that automatically changes the output of the headlights from high-to-low beam in the presence of oncoming traffic or as you approach taillights).

I do not know of any US-spec 1M with this feature, although I do plan a retrofit myself. At a minimum, this will require recoding. I have not determined whether additional wiring will be necessary.
I checked again in some BMW websites for different countries (hoping to have additional info or pictures) to clarify, I am not totally sure cause none of them clearly defines which exact sensor is for the high beam assist but all of them the photo they use for the high beam sensor includes the off center sensor and that sensor seems to be part of no other option I could detect. Can you clarify please where did you find the information that the big center sensor is the high beam assist and what is the off center one for? By the way, can it be both of them for this option, maybe there are two sensors operating for this function?

eeghie, I checked the rear view mirror with rain sensor photos and since the rain sensor always come together with auto headlights in all markets that I know, I assume the big sensor is not for auto head lights because the "rain sensor option" pictures are not with that big sensor, just with the blue one.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #24
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I was in the car and checked the manual again, it describes the high beam assistant like it operates through "a sensor at the front side of the inside mirror". The only sensor located on the inside mirror is the off center, smaller one; the center big one, if it is a sensor anyway, is not on the mirror but on the connecting part. Since the manual talks about only one sensor, my suggestion in the above post that maybe there are two sensors is also not true. The center big "sensor"s function is still unknown for me. Like I suggested before maybe it has something to do with the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #25
Katkarot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010MDX 2012135i

I have the mirror with passenger side sensor but I don't think I have high beam assist.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #26
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkarot View Post
I have the mirror with passenger side sensor but I don't think I have high beam assist.
Easy to check. When lights are activated, push the turn indicator stalk away from you (i.e. push straight towards the dashboard): if no high beam assist icon pops up on your OBC info display, your 1M is not equipped with this option.

See also the different OBC info display lay-out: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=10
      02-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I was in the car and checked the manual again, it describes the high beam assistant like it operates through "a sensor at the front side of the inside mirror". The only sensor located on the inside mirror is the off center, smaller one; the center big one, if it is a sensor anyway, is not on the mirror but on the connecting part. Since the manual talks about only one sensor, my suggestion in the above post that maybe there are two sensors is also not true. The center big "sensor"s function is still unknown for me. Like I suggested before maybe it has something to do with the alarm.
BMW uses two sensors, one at the front of the mirror and one behind, to measure the light "difference". In case someone, like a truck, shows up behind you and blinds you with bright lights... This is what activates the dimming features of the mirror.

I imagine this same sensor could be used to detect oncoming traffic when high beam assist is on?

I wonder if it's a feature we could enable through coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #28
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
BMW uses two sensors, one at the front of the mirror and one behind, to measure the light "difference". In case someone, like a truck, shows up behind you and blinds you with bright lights... This is what activates the dimming features of the mirror.

I imagine this same sensor could be used to detect oncoming traffic when high beam assist is on?

I wonder if it's a feature we could enable through coding?
Not exactly sure on why an additional forward facing light sensor is used.

Coding will only enable the high beam assistant after adding that additional sensor (on the mirror base; in the image in this post, the bigger square sensor on the mirror base works with the auto high beam feature. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=17)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #29
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Not exactly sure on why an additional forward facing light sensor is used.
#1 suspect reason is non technical: comfort features are mostly sourced & developed independently ... feature performance and ROI when combining into 1 sensor is not likely to be positive.
Appreciate 0