BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Will RPM/Speed relationships change with modding?

Got a theoretical question. Say your stock car will do x mph in y gear while held at z RPM. If you mod and tune the engine to get a couple hundred more hp or tq out of it, can you expect to see the car do higher speeds at the same RPM in a specific gear? Or will the extra power mainly be used for going from one speed to another more quickly? I'm new to modding cars, so I don't really know what I should expect to see.
      02-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #2
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

The extra power will not change the speed of the vehicle at a certain RPM and gear. Modifying the cars gear ratios will do this (different differential, or transmission).
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
The extra power will not change the speed of the vehicle at a certain RPM and gear. Modifying the cars gear ratios will do this (different differential, or transmission).
Thought that might be it. Thanks!
      02-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
elzorro4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
Got a theoretical question. Say your stock car will do x mph in y gear while held at z RPM. If you mod and tune the engine to get a couple hundred more hp or tq out of it, can you expect to see the car do higher speeds at the same RPM in a specific gear? Or will the extra power mainly be used for going from one speed to another more quickly? I'm new to modding cars, so I don't really know what I should expect to see.
Its like being in a bike on gear y at z rpm and expecting to go quicker because you went to the gym 6 months... you will be able to achieve that rpm quicker but at a given gear/rpm the speed will be the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
That only things that will effect your speedo/tech is swapping tires or changing the rear diff to a different ratio. Even then, you can get adjust the ECU to display the correct readings.

Doing mods to add power like a tune, exhaust, intake, cam(s), FI (forced induction), etc. will NOT affect what the speedo/tach.
Appreciate 0