BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
TwistedDrum5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Questions about the 1. (Cargo, practicality, reliability)

I'm very close to getting a 1er, but I have a few issues that I'm hoping to get resolved.

As of right now I own a 4 door civic, and a 4Runner. I plan on trading in the 4Runner for the 1. This get's rid of our main travel car, but I'm hoping the 1 can make up for it.

Wife, no kids, 2 dogs (dachshund and greyhound). We plan on making some trips to the Smoky Mountain area for camping, and I'm hoping the 1 can hold everything. I've looked into roof racks, and cargo holders for that. It seems I can put two large totes on top and tie them down, which I'm hoping will do the trip. Has anyone else went camping? I searched and only found one topic post on this.

The second issue I have is that my wife and I are musicians. She plays an 88-key keyboard, and I play drums, just a small 4 piece kit. We're both small people, but I'm hoping we can manage all of that in the car too, for gigs. Any musicians on here? I've seen the thread with a 5 piece, and way more cymbals that I have. But it looks like that took up all of the room. Idealy I would still have enough room for the wifey in the car.

I've talked her into spending the money on a newer vehicle, but she's suggesting another SUV right now. Although I guess it makes more "sense", if I can make it work, I'd much rather drive the 1 on a regular basis over an SUV. We usually do one trip a year camping, but this year we won't be, so I think it's kind of pointless to do the SUV now for one trip, in two years. As far as the music goes, most of our gigs are Ukelele and a Cajon, which would fit fine. Just hoping I can get everything in if I get a 1.

Edit: Forgot reliability! I'm pretty handy with cars, and would do most maintenance on my own. As long as I can do with it basic tools, I can get it done. It seems the 128i is the most reliable, followed by the N55, followed by the N54. I want the 135i, for obvious reasons, but if there is a drastic difference in reliability I'd go for the 128i. I'm looking around the 50-75k mile range. Is there an obvious choice, or an obvious one not to choose?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
delta-9-ginseng
OG Tray Deee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i & F36 435i

I don't know bro dog. You may be better off with a SUV or maybe even consider a 3-series wagon?? I have a set of golf clubs in my trunk right now and I find it pretty cramped. In terms of reliability it will NEVER be matched to a Toyota 4Runner, those things are like tanks. Plus you need to put 91 in the BMW and maintain it and stuff. You sound like the outdoor-sy type, I would probably go with a X5 or X3? Just my 2 cents...Best of luck in your decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I have driven a 135 as my daily driver and only car for three years now.
With the rear seats folded down, it is surprisingly capacious. It is difficult to get anything big into the back seat through the doors though, as you can only move the seat so far forward and it doesn't tilt very far, especially with the huge side bolsters on the sport seats.
I would be leery of dogs though, as their claws will wreak havoc on the leather seats. I would definitely want seat covers for the dogs. Now to fit enough gear for two people for a weekend camping trip PLUS two dogs (which would basically eliminate the back seat as a storage space as well as eliminate the option of folding down the seatbacks) would likely require external storage, like a roof rack or box.

All-in-all, it IS livable as an all-in-one car, but you will OCCASIONALLY wish you had more cargo capacity. I just borrow the GF's truck when I need that.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I dunno, I had a smart car and my wife and I went camping in that. If you need more than a 1er to go camping, you are bringing too much, leave the TV and microwave at home.

The world did just fine before the SUV was ever invented.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep

I would toss the Civic if you're really concerned about space. The 4Runner would also be the more practical option for camping.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. As much as I like my 1er, trying to get it to replace a 4Runner (if you still need that kind of utility) would be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I have the Kawai ES7 digital piano and I don't think I would be able to comfortably fit that in my car with a drum set.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
TwistedDrum5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies so far.

Yea I'm going to really reevaluate what we are planning on doing in the future.

I'd love to ditch the civic, but that's her car. She doesn't drive manual, and I want a 6speed. I doubt I'd get her to drive the 4 Runner to work, plus the 4runner is in rough shape.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 Le Mans 135i Vert

Get a 135i vert. You can fit all kinds of stuff in the back with the top down!

Or... if you ditch the 4Runner just rent an SUV that one day every 2 years you go camping. Problem solved
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
mrvco
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
If the 4R is in rough shape then you probably won't get much for it. I'd keep it and use it as a utility / camping vehicle and pick up a 1 for daily driving.
      02-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
X1 xdrive 35i for you! Speed Utility Vehicle.
      02-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
Ferms135i
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 X3M Competition / '12 135i

Hey, Twisted,

As far as space is concerned, I've been surprised. I'm a musician too and for a gig I had to bring a bass sax, bari sax, tenor and alto. Surprisingly, I was easily able to fit all in the 1er with the rear seats folded down. None of my saxes had to ride shotgun either. I was completely caught off guard as I had orignally planned to take the wife's optima because it is "bigger". My stuff wouldn't fit in there so I gave the 1 a shot. A bass sax is really BIG and I'm had no problem sliding it into the trunk with a lot of room to spare. I could not get the bass in the optima and spent a lot of time trying. Of course your equipment may be different. I also teach a camp during the summer and can fit a couple of horns and everything else I needed for 7 days.

Hope that helps.
      02-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #12
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

you can always get a roof box for large items. The BMW roof rails aren't too expensive, and integrate/install SUPER easily onto the car. That being said, you will never fit a greyhound very happily in the car, unless it's of the Italian variety.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #13
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I worry about turbo engines but I've never had one. My wife and I both have 128s. Mine is manual, hers is automatic. We take mine on trips but it's the two of us and we end up having to put a bag or two into the back seat when we go on cruises. The civic has more space than a e82 or our e88s. I can get my two grown kids in the back seat, he's 6'4" and she's 5'9", but it's a squeeze and they prefer we just take the SUV. My daughter drives an Elantra and it has noticeably more trunk and back seat room.

Another option to haul your stuff for an occasional job or camping might be a small trailer. You can put a hitch on your 1. The camping stuff might fit into the car if you use the back seat but I don't see a drum set and keyboard going in. They might let you try it at the dealership, however.
      02-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #14
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedDrum5 View Post
I'm very close to getting a 1er, but I have a few issues that I'm hoping to get resolved.

As of right now I own a 4 door civic, and a 4Runner. I plan on trading in the 4Runner for the 1. This get's rid of our main travel car, but I'm hoping the 1 can make up for it.

Wife, no kids, 2 dogs (dachshund and greyhound). We plan on making some trips to the Smoky Mountain area for camping, and I'm hoping the 1 can hold everything. I've looked into roof racks, and cargo holders for that. It seems I can put two large totes on top and tie them down, which I'm hoping will do the trip. Has anyone else went camping? I searched and only found one topic post on this.

The second issue I have is that my wife and I are musicians. She plays an 88-key keyboard, and I play drums, just a small 4 piece kit. We're both small people, but I'm hoping we can manage all of that in the car too, for gigs. Any musicians on here? I've seen the thread with a 5 piece, and way more cymbals that I have. But it looks like that took up all of the room. Idealy I would still have enough room for the wifey in the car.

I've talked her into spending the money on a newer vehicle, but she's suggesting another SUV right now. Although I guess it makes more "sense", if I can make it work, I'd much rather drive the 1 on a regular basis over an SUV. We usually do one trip a year camping, but this year we won't be, so I think it's kind of pointless to do the SUV now for one trip, in two years. As far as the music goes, most of our gigs are Ukelele and a Cajon, which would fit fine. Just hoping I can get everything in if I get a 1.

Edit: Forgot reliability! I'm pretty handy with cars, and would do most maintenance on my own. As long as I can do with it basic tools, I can get it done. It seems the 128i is the most reliable, followed by the N55, followed by the N54. I want the 135i, for obvious reasons, but if there is a drastic difference in reliability I'd go for the 128i. I'm looking around the 50-75k mile range. Is there an obvious choice, or an obvious one not to choose?
This is a far stretch my friend. Honestly, I think you are looking at the wrong car. Plus I don't know your situation but if kids ever come along, bye bye 1er. I sadly had to get rid of my 1 series because it just didn't have the room I needed and got a MINI Countryman. It still maintains the great BMW driving experience, has a 6 speed manual and PLENTY of room including a cool roof cargo area. I would look into a Countryman if i where you. The 1er isn't going to give you what you are looking for.

http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...e-utility.html
Attached Images

02-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #15
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
You may want to look into an X1 or X3 instead of a 1-series coupe. My wife has a 128i Convertible, but if we had to carry dogs or instruments, it would not be practical. The X1, on the other hand, has much more usable cargo space and would be far better suited to what you need. X3 is the same, only slightly bigger. I'd recommend staying away from an N54-engined car and go with the N52 inline-6. If you can find a CPO X1 or X3 with that engine, you'll be much happier. There's always the 3-series wagon (F31 or E91) too.

Of course if BMW had the sense to import the 1-series hatchbacks like they have in Europe, that might just work for you, but they're nowhere to be found in the US.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #16
TwistedDrum5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvco View Post
If the 4R is in rough shape then you probably won't get much for it. I'd keep it and use it as a utility / camping vehicle and pick up a 1 for daily driving.
This is all dependent on Insurance. Ideally this would be it, as long as insurance was super cheap every month.

I could always sell the Harley...buuuut.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I've looked into the clubman mini (the countryman just isn't for me) but I'm don't want to go back to FWD. I had an SRT4, and while it's obviously more power, hated the lack of traction and wheel hop.

The X3/X5's look nice, but every time I look at them I see soccer mom. I also don't feel like spending money on a BMW if it's not going to be what I really want to drive around.

If I go SUV route, I'll probably end up with a Wrangler Unlimited. I used to have one, and miss it. Unfortunately I'd lose out on the luxury that I am trying to get in my next vehicle.

The words of advice and encouragement are great. This is a great community. Maybe I'll be a part of it someday.

In case anyone has any recommendations, I'm looking at a 25k max on price.

Oh and the hatchback 1 would've been perfect.

Last edited by TwistedDrum5; 02-24-2015 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
ultimated
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 430i GC Xdr Mdnght Blue

Audi A3 Quattro? Its more of a wagon than a hatchback, but I've always like Audi wagons and the quattro 4WD is a real plus in bad conditions. Takes a bit of care, but the turbo is easily tunable.
      02-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #18
Booey1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i m-sport BBK 2piece

Golf R????? Love my mk6 gti and would totally get one again for a family car duties.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #19
TwistedDrum5
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm trying to steer away from FWD if at all possible. Wagons are also out.

I've been looking more into the X5...I'm starting to fall for them a little more. But man there are tons of trims.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #20
GerryL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i with PPK- Space Grey

Quote:
I'm trying to steer away from FWD if at all possible. Wagons are also out.

I've been looking more into the X5...I'm starting to fall for them a little more. But man there are tons of trims.
I echo the X1 recommendation, it will drive far more similarly to a 128 than an X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #21
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
I echo the X1 recommendation, it will drive far more similarly to a 128 than an X5.
My ex drove an X5 for a number of years. A few of the usual BMW nags (front CV joints, dead radio & climate control pixels, bla bla bla), but honestly that might have been the most trouble-free vehicle ever in my family. I hated working on the thing and the front seats sucked, but all in all that was a fine car.

Not much U in that SUV, however. More of a big lumbering status symbol IMHO. I suppose it carried more than my E82, but you can find more Utility for a lot less money (Subaru, etc).
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #22
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
This is all dependent on Insurance. Ideally this would be it, as long as insurance was super cheap every month.

I could always sell the Harley...buuuut.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I've looked into the clubman mini (the countryman just isn't for me) but I'm don't want to go back to FWD. I had an SRT4, and while it's obviously more power, hated the lack of traction and wheel hop.

The X3/X5's look nice, but every time I look at them I see soccer mom. I also don't feel like spending money on a BMW if it's not going to be what I really want to drive around.

If I go SUV route, I'll probably end up with a Wrangler Unlimited. I used to have one, and miss it. Unfortunately I'd lose out on the luxury that I am trying to get in my next vehicle.

The words of advice and encouragement are great. This is a great community. Maybe I'll be a part of it someday.

In case anyone has any recommendations, I'm looking at a 25k max on price.

Oh and the hatchback 1 would've been perfect.

Dude I bet your insurance will be nearly the same for the 135i or the 135i + 97 4runner (liability)

I in 2008 i was driving a brand new civic with full comp and collision, then i bought a 93 hatch, it made my insurance go down! The multicar discount was greater than the added liability on the old civic... just my 2cents.

Also if you really are playing gigs with your wife then take the 4 door civic.
and as for camping rent an suv from budget for 200, not only can you return it dirty as hell but you dont have to worry about the monthly insurance, the yearly inspection, oil change, registration yadda yadda.

What you will regret and dont want to do is settle for something as a compromise for 1 trip a year FWIW
Appreciate 0