BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #67
zirrah
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black135i View Post
Its pointless to argue whats in the same class. To some on here preformance and price is what is what determines which class a car is in(sti, evo, 135i) so you cannt just say because it dosnt have i-drive that its not in the same class or because the stiching in the seats is not as classy so that makes it not the same class car.

The 135i seems to fall in between alot of classes and therefore I think can be put into those classes of cars.
Build quality on a Subaru or Mitsubishi is no where near that of a BMW. A prominent member of M3f.net snagged an EVO MR earlier this year as a replacement for his M3 (he needed 4 doors). He's very, very impressed with the performance of the Evo. But not the build quality, of any part of the car.

Calling the 1 series, or even 3 series a luxury car is a stretch. They're more sporty with a hint of luxury thrown in. Whereas say like a Lexus...they're luxurious with a hint of sporty thrown in.

JMO.

Maybe... we'll see how it compares to the M

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #68
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
That's too bad, you're missing out on some really great cars.
I'm 40 years old, I'm not going to drive an EVO......I dont need to "corner" at high speeds for fear of spilling my coffee.....a 5.0 0-60 time, 40k or <, and the refinement of a BMW are what I'm after....I'm not looking to be 20 again.....
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #69
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirrah View Post
Build quality on a Subaru or Mitsubishi is no where near that of a BMW. A prominent member of M3f.net snagged an EVO MR earlier this year as a replacement for his M3 (he needed 4 doors). He's very, very impressed with the performance of the Evo. But not the build quality, of any part of the car.

Calling the 1 series, or even 3 series a luxury car is a stretch. They're more sporty with a hint of luxury thrown in. Whereas say like a Lexus...they're luxurious with a hint of sporty thrown in.

JMO.

+10

BMW are sport luxury vehichles. Notice how the word "sport" comes before "luxury". Mercedes is the exact opposite, their luxury vehichles that offer some sport. Mitsubishi or Subaru are not a luxury car, in any sense of the term.

Engineering aside, BMW makes the perfect balance of both. I have owned many vehichles, but find myself comming back to BMW. I sold my Zo6 and bought a 330ci and laughed all the way to the bank, way more car, way better ride, way better characteristic... for less! I lost nothing but strait line acceleration, but gained comfort, quality and a refined experience. Yeah I missed that hardcore torque and blistering acceleration and it kinda made me wish I had bought the M3. And thats why i sold it... and have been waiting for something new. Either M3, Porsche Cayman S or this little beasty called the 135i ...!

I owned (briefly, got stolen) a used 325is in College, previous to that i had a VW Corrado, but the Bimm was just light years ahead in technology and engineering. You could feel it, something! You could see this in the door jams, undercarraige and trunk.. every where you looked it was a solid car.

Mustangs (notchback & turbo SVO), Merkur XR4ti (loved that car), 540 and many other sedans and SUv's. Point is that even after my friends had been in my BMW's, they too got hooked too. These barvarian machines just feel good in my hands and I don't suffer from misgiving's of, I wish I would've bought this or that car.

I've owned 3 BMW's and every time I got ride of them, I felt a pang in my stomach. Coincidentally I was in tears when i got ride of my Zo6, because i was so happy! The Vette was just too one dimesnsional for me.

The only Merceded I would own would be a 86' era 190e based on Mercedes attemps to enter the rally world. That was the most logical car MB ever produced.

I like alot of cars and manufacturers, but to me BMW is somewhat special. They just feel right to me.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #70
joeyusc
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRULES View Post
No offense man... but your BMW North American REP is WRONG ... TOTALLY WRONG .. After reading the thread you posted yesterday,i actually called 3 dealers here (South Florida area - Miami, Palm Beach) and all of them said the same thing:

"We dont have an exact answer but a well equiped 135i should be ~35K."

I dont expect that to be exactly correct, but stating that 37K is the base price of 135i is just really really STUPID. Its not rational and illogical.

I think we should wait and watch and let BMW work the numbers ... :thumbup:

Agreed. I talked to my local dealership in Washington state about ordering a 1 series. We also discussed price. He said that a well equipped 135i should be around 35-38K with the base price in the very low 30's. There is absolutely no way that the base price will be 35K. That would mean well equipped at 40-41K-no way!!!!! They start taking orders in January.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #71
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyusc View Post
There is absolutely no way that the base price will be 35K.
$34,950, then.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #72
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. I talked to my local dealership in Washington state about ordering a 1 series. We also discussed price. He said that a well equipped 135i should be around 35-38K with the base price in the very low 30's. There is absolutely no way that the base price will be 35K. That would mean well equipped at 40-41K-no way!!!!! They start taking orders in January.

Hunh..?

Yes, did you read this thread..? A fully loaded 135i will be about $41 ~ $42k ..! A Mercedes-Benz C350 starts at $37k for peat sakes, while the BMW trades performance and sport for luxury, they have the same quality.

The BMW 335i starts at $40,800, the 135i has standard some things that will cost several thousands in option on the 335. These cars will sell all day long for $35k..!

The 1 series isn't any less of a car than the highly acclamed 3 series, it just trades a bit of luxury for performance punch!

I'm getting every option except Nav/Idrive, I expect to pay $41K+ ....!!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #73
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
He said that a well equipped 135i should be around 35-38K
wow, if so that's great
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #74
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Hunh..?

Yes, did you read this thread..? A fully loaded 135i will be about $41 ~ $42k ..! A Mercedes-Benz C350 starts at $37k for peat sakes, while the BMW trades performance and sport for luxury, they have the same quality.

The BMW 335i starts at $40,800, the 135i has standard some things that will cost several thousands in option on the 335. These cars will sell all day long for $35k..!

The 1 series isn't any less of a car than the highly acclamed 3 series, it just trades a bit of luxury for performance punch!

I'm getting every option except Nav/Idrive, I expect to pay $41K+ ....!!

-Garrett
Take a look at the new ordering guide that has just been posted, & see if you still think the 135i is going to be priced that high.

I think we're starting to see that this car is not being marketed anything like the 335i.

Look at the very limited exterior & interior colors available, no mention about the "big brakes", and what I think is a rather cheap looking interior finish to the plastics & trim.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #75
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
Take a look at the new ordering guide that has just been posted, & see if you still think the 135i is going to be priced that high.
where:iono:?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #76
tklivory
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
where:iono:?
It's a sticky thread in the Ordering and Pricing Discussions.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #77
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklivory View Post
It's a sticky thread in the Ordering and Pricing Discussions.
Thanks, you beat me to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #78
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I think we're starting to see that this car is not being marketed anything like the 335i.

Look at the very limited exterior & interior colors available, no mention about the "big brakes", and what I think is a rather cheap looking interior finish to the plastics & trim.

Thats not a new ordering guide... We've seen the European option list for months.

We also know how much those packages cost on the 3 & 5 series. A 135i with just the Performance Package will cost roughly.. $37,050. There is alot STANDARD on this car that is simple being overlooked here.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #79
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
what I think is a rather cheap looking interior finish to the plastics & trim.
you can ascertain that from a picture?

even if you think interior is cheap (I disagree with you based on the fact that if BMW does it, they do it right), no denyin' that twin turbo 300HP 300 Ft lb torque beauty is the heart of the 135.....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #80
zirrah
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Welcome to entry level BMW's. If you want a nicer interior you have to pay more by getting a more expensive model.

Maybe... we'll see how it compares to the M

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #81
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
you can ascertain that from a picture?

even if you think interior is cheap (I disagree with you based on the fact that if BMW does it, they do it right), no denyin' that twin turbo 300HP 300 Ft lb torque beauty is the heart of the 135.....
I'm sure it will look better in person, but I just think it has a very plain, cheap look about it IMHO.

I agree with you about the engine being the heart of the car, but I have to be able to stand the looks of the thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #82
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure it will look better in person, but I just think it has a very plain, cheap look about it IMHO.

I agree with you about the engine being the heart of the car, but I have to be able to stand the looks of the thing.

DUDE...

Thats the whol reason for this car...

BMW is saying they have gone too luxury in the past and they want to bring back smaller, more performanec orientated cars. These cars aren't cheap, they are just shying away from the Luxury side of most other offering from BMW.

These interior are ment to be spartan, clean. The car is a throwback, a liken to the fabled 1970's BMW 2002. This is mentioned over and over... let it sink in. That car was so loved because of it's extremely high quality, no frills performance it offered.

The 1 series is bringing this back. Almost every engineer or official video mentions this. BMW stresses in no way is the 1 series is of lesser quality than the 3, 5 or 7 series, it's just more ronin!

The 135i just 5 years ago would've cost $50k.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #83
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

all the conclusions from a picture.......

BTW, G35 owners complained about the interior not being up to Infiniti standards for years.....I guess Infiniti's engineers took it to heart....The new G37's interior is just stunning and very high grade......the point I'm making is they accomplished this improvement w/o barely raising the price of the car....

mid 30s agreement on 135 and now we're getting posts about the interior being cheap - could this be psychological?....I would reserve judgment until you sit in, feel, and smell the product....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #84
n54_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
all the conclusions from a picture.......

BTW, G35 owners complained about the interior not being up to Infiniti standards for years.....I guess Infiniti's engineers took it to heart....The new G37's interior is just stunning and very high grade......the point I'm making is they accomplished this improvement w/o barely raising the price of the car....

mid 30s agreement on 135 and now we're getting posts about the interior being cheap - could this be psychological?....I would reserve judgment until you sit in, feel, and smell the product....
Well thats because for a base price in the mid 30's it will be looked at differently than if it where a 30k car. The interior (granted may be solid in feel and quality) dosnt have the look of a luxery car to me(just to plain and awkward with the pop up nav, and plain cupholders.) but to each his own
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #85
Mr. E
Private
Rep
Drives:

Why does everyone keep bringing up luxury? Who gives a shit about heated seats and power everything? If I want luxury, I will buy a Mercedes or a Lexus. The 135i is clearly aimed at enthusiasts and I would buy it for its performance, I couldnt care less about luxury shit.

So while the Evo and STi may not be as "luxurious" as a BMW, who gives a shit? I will buy one in a heartbeat over an 135 if BMW decides to price this thing at $38k+ because of its "luxury" and I will have a car that performs just as well, if not better for less money.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #86
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
Why does everyone keep bringing up luxury? Who gives a shit about heated seats and power everything? If I want luxury, I will buy a Mercedes or a Lexus. The 135i is clearly aimed at enthusiasts and I would buy it for its performance, I couldnt care less about luxury shit.
I think the other posters may not have meant they are looking for the 135 to have a "luxury" feel like Lexus, rather they dont want the car to feel cheap and plasticy ala (unfortunately) Nissans....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #87
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black135i View Post
Well thats because for a base price in the mid 30's it will be looked at differently than if it where a 30k car. The interior (granted may be solid in feel and quality) dosnt have the look of a luxery car to me(just to plain and awkward with the pop up nav, and plain cupholders.) but to each his own
my expectation for the 135 is to have an interior befitting a 35-40k car....I'm not expecting A8L interior (magnificent) nor am I expecting "plastic fantastic".....functional , ergonomic, and reasonably high quality materials are fine with me.....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #88
n54_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post

So while the Evo and STi may not be as "luxurious" as a BMW, who gives a shit? I will buy one in a heartbeat over an 135 if BMW decides to price this thing at $38k+ because of its "luxury" and I will have a car that performs just as well, if not better for less money.
One reason is because people are trying to judge the price compeared to the 3-series and also other non-bmw cars such as evo, sti (more preformance cars) to get an idea on where the price should fall based on the "luxury and preformance" factors.

To me, the more the interior is like other brands (sti, evo, ect..) the closer it will be priced to those cars( not saying less or the same because BMW interiors are still built very well) and the close the interior is to 3-series and other luxury interiors, the closer it will be priced to those cars. IMO.
Im sure the interior will be nice, but it does look rather plain(still solid, but plain)
Appreciate 0