BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
TheGuestSpeaker
The Timo Glock of Chicago
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 4Runner, '13 135is 6mt

Suspension Mods vs Warranty

Just wanted to get a bit more knowledge from all you current owners out there...

I've ordered a 135is, should be here (Chicago) in the first week of June. Since placing the order and registering on here, the mod bug has bit hard for the BMW. I'm coming from 4 years in a modified STi, and am not looking to keep this 135is stock.

That said, when I bought the STi, it had 48k miles and the warranty had expired 2 months prior to my ownership. Modifying that car, I never had to think twice about "will this void my warranty?".

I'm not looking to slap a JB4 on my brand new car and expect to keep a warranty, but the car's stock suspension is so high that if I painted it purple and green people might mistake it for Grave Digger.

What's everyones experience with changing struts/springs. I'm looking at the Bilstein B12's and Dinan camber plates but don't want to take the car in for a 1200 mile service and have them already deny warranty. Any experiences from you lot would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

really depends on the dealership.

Mine doesn't care for mods, unless they are the cause of the problem. I have been to the dealership for various different things, and not once have they said anything.

That being said, if my suspension blew and they saw I was running aftermarket suspension parts then they will obviously not fix it.

With something like JB4, you can remove it and clear codes before going to dealership. However, like everything, there are the pros and risks to modifying and its just a small risk you have to take.
      05-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

My dealership thinks my car is awesome and respect what I did. I don't imagine they would deny anything other then the parts I swiched out. That said, I like you am leaving the engine alone while I have the warrantee. The 135i makes pretty good power stock and would cost an arm and a leg if I needed to replace the turbo or bomb the transmission or something similar. If I blow out one of my Ohlin shocks I would not ask or expect the dealer to replace it though.

In some ways, I think my car gets more attention at the dealership. My dealership is full of car guys and has two e92 M3s that the owner/dealership road race so maybe I have a unique dealer
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake

Last edited by Clovef; 05-11-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
TheGuestSpeaker
The Timo Glock of Chicago
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 4Runner, '13 135is 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
My dealership thinks my car is awesome and respect what I did. I don't imagine they would deny anything other then the parts I swiched out. That said, I like you am leaving the engine alone while I have the warrantee. The 135i makes pretty good power stock and would cost an arm and a leg if I needed to replace the turbo or bomb the transmission or something similar. If I blow our one of my Ohlin shock I would not ask or expect the dealer to replace it though.
Just what I wanted to hear. I'll go ahead and order the suspension bits then.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
No issues here with my KW's. Took active with a mechanic, asked about mod's and he said, as long as there is a direct correlation that the mod is causing issues, they won't write it up and the issue will be covered under warranty.

But that being said, I won't touch the engine for that reason. PPK only, if any for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
My suspension was written up as modded first time my dealership saw my mods. Shouldn't matter, unlikely a warranty/suspension episode will come up anyways. My car is now past the warranty, no issues so far.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:38 AM   #7
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

consider the BMW performance suspension - 30 percent stiffer than the sport package and 10mm drop - car sits very nicely not slammed but lower and its all factory so no warranty issues and if BMW installs it gets whatever is left of the 4 year warranty that you car came with.
Appreciate 0