BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: 128i or gti
BMW 128i 121 76.58%
VW GTI MKV 37 23.42%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

04-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #23
To Sink Or Swim
Bringin the VAG
Rep
Drives: VW MKV GTI

good point. Everyone at the BMW dealership laughed at me when i told them my other choice is... THE GTI. but this is going to be something that will bug me for awhile. Im sure though whichever I go with I will Love Some parts about it but in others i will "kick myself in the ass" for it. But, damn you guys you guys are selling it to me more then the guys at the Gti forums. Ive started asking for people with the apr ecu upgrade chip what has their experience been like. but no biters yet. But i have a personal friend that works at both. so... but what mods could i even do to it. The stock exhaust is killer, A chip would bring not a lot, New intake, Turbo kit... eh
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #24
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

I still think you should just go with whatever puts the biggest smile on your face.

At the end of the day, once you do whatever you want to do to the car it's still the same car you started with.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #25
To Sink Or Swim
Bringin the VAG
Rep

i need to make some friends in the tampa area who has an apr chip in a gti. then ill know
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #26
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

voted bmw, but if u wait Golf 6 is coming next year.. that 2.0T is already making 265hp in 09' audi A4 and TT..
FWD still though.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #27
To Sink Or Swim
Bringin the VAG
Rep

wait what
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #28
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

I looked at the GTi in my search, too, but after driving couldn't resist the 1-series.

The standard 2.0 GTi was too similar to my '02 1.8T, and the R32 wasn't special enough to command the premium price tag in comparison to the superior dynamics of the 1.

I drove all four cars the same day (and each of them separately on other days) - I think if you do the same you'll be able to make up your mind quite easily.

I do have to say I'm going to miss the practicality of the hatchback - it's not always as sexy as a coupe, but I could fit almost everything I owned in my GTi. It was friggin' awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #29
To Sink Or Swim
Bringin the VAG
Rep

true, thats what i plan on doing but. idk i love the way the gti looks and i love the way the 128i looks i love the mod capablity of the gti and the handling of the 1 i love the price of the gti
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #30
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep

I think you also need to be clear about why you're modding the car - is it for track performance? drag-strip performance?

The GTi will rarely - if ever - beat the 128i around a track. When you drive both, you'll understand the handling benefits of the RWD car. The BMW absolutely pounces the 128 in this respect. If you head over to the 318ti.org site, check out the scanned R&T article from 1996 comparing the VR6 GTi to the 4-banger 318ti. Despite the VW having superior torque and hp numbers, the BMW only lost by 0.4 seconds on a circuit lap. That's impressive - and the 128i doesn't suffer that sort of hp/torque deficiency to the current GTis.

Also, I'd note my GTi was chipped with the GIAC X+ flash. I drove it that way for a few weeks and turned it off until the day I sold the car (no clue if the current owner changed it). I'm not sure if the 2.0FSI is better, but the 1.8T would surge in ways that were just uncomfortable; I also felt like I was actively shortening the life of my engine. The extra power seemed to add extra stress to the car in general (duh, right?) and so I just switched it off - the balance of car was BEST in its stock form.

Right now I'm in a tough place - I could've gone either 128 or 135, but I was able to spec my 128 out with all the options I wanted. I didn't have to compromise on anything. The 135 was way more fun to drive, but I don't think it'd be that great as a rush-hour commuter (and my 1er is going to be both a long-range trip car and a daily driver), and optioned out it broke over the $40k mark. I've never bought a new car before, and the thought of spending $40k on anything other than a house still seems insane in my mind.

I think the GTi is a sharp-looking car. And despite others' opinions here, I'm not sure the BMW's interior is actually any nicer (at least in stock form). The VW's interior plastics are nicely finished (1er owners who have cars, look at the plastics BEHIND your steering wheel - they're not that great), and the seats in the GTi and R32 are absolutely fantastic. The GTi is great on a budget, too.

Another factor is reliability - I've had two GTis: a '98 VR6 and an '02 1.8T (GTi 337 ed.). Neither car was wholly reliable, which was fine, but the COST of repairs was astounding. The 4yr/50k mile warranty on the 1er was another huge selling point. You can absolutely bet your 4th year on the GTi will cost you $3-4k, especially if your car is modded.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #31
Perfect128
Perfect128
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 128i

To Sink or Swim - Trust your instincts and experience and don't let forum groupthink or magazine numbers lead you around by the nose. Drive them both several times and imagine them in your use model. Are you going to use it as a daily driver or race it? How long are you going to keep it? What will give you pride of ownership day in and day out?

Don't be swayed by the stuck up people who are appalled by what other cars you would consider. You should have seen the look on the BMW dealer's face when I said I was also considering American muscle cars!

Ultimately I trusted my judgement after doing research and driving several 1 series coupes. My new 128i with sport package arrives in May. I was won over by the look, RWD, smooth turbine-like inline six, balance, and overall pride of ownership of the BMW heritage. It is a great fit for my needs as a fun daily driver that will bring a smile to my face for many years without being too fussy, costly , or temperamental to live with.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #32
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

bimmer all the way man, for real.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #33
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M135i

I sat in a 128 and I almost ran out of the dealership… BMW is way behind VAG on interiors. The 335i looks like Buick (interior) and the overhead console on the 128i is made from cheap cheap cheap plastic.. the GTI owns it… also the sports seats in the GTI are way better than the sport seats in the 1er… to be honest the GTI (leather Package or PKG 2) is nicer than that of the 1er. I was extremely disappointed in the 1er interior quality. GTI wins this one easy..and here is the kicker..at least the GTI has adjustable height seatbelt – thicker steering wheel (yes thicker than the M) + a mute button on the steering wheel which is great.

Also, the red light or nightlight.. is placed under the rear view mirror in the 1er but in the GTI it’s placed within the overhead console and looks way better. the interior of the GTI more thought out and no corners were cut to save money.

--You also have more room with the GTI, front, back and in the trunk/hatch.

Get the GTI 2.0T over the 128 and 135 over the GTI..simple as that.. 128i < GTI 2.0T < 135i
+ once you GIAC or APR the GTI you are in for some fun times
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #34
Perfect128
Perfect128
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 128i

Sounds pretty black and white to me... Like I said before.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #35
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

here is some motivation for you.... Please note that I will let go of this baby in a second for a 135i but no way for a 128

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #36
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

You made some excellent relevant points. And you are very right about the GTI engine surging. It is mostly a problem when quickly downshifting, and slowing, because the car will surge terribly in those conditions. If downshifting to accelerate, it is fine. The engine is seriously afflicted with that condition, though, and it is one that most will overlook because the engine is otherwise awesome. The interior is indeed very good in the GTI, but no bluetooth, unless they've added it, and no auto-dimming mirror. The sunroof is bad in the GTI because the air pressure hurts the ears, and the 1-Series is much more comfortable.

So there are gives and takes on the interior and features. Neither car has the definitive interior advantages, although I prefer the 1er's looks better. Primarily it's about the drive. The six cylinder isn't as buzzy as the GTI's four cylinder. The rear-wheel drive feels sooooooo much nicer. The 1er feels so much more substantial and less of a "beer can" or economy car.

Never forget... The GTI is an upgraded rabbit. The 1er, however, is a smaller 3-Series. Think about that. A rabbit as opposed to a 3-Series. A GTI as opposed to a 1-Series.

I agree with Perfect128, (who lives near me), meaning that you should always make up your own mind... but these cars are just not in the same category. Like I said, I owned an '08 GTI, loaded. I traded it in on a 135i. I have no regrets whatsover. The 1er is so much better, it isn't even a question. If you really need a mod, you know that there WILL be one for the 128i, so don't think that the GTI is better than the 128i. It's still a rabbit, no matter how you look at it. The 128i is twice the car that the GTI ever will hope to be.

I am so glad to be rid of that loud and jittery ride, too. There really is NO comparison here. Drive that GTI and check out the ride quality. Lots of fun, true, but the ride quality really sucks. You will see for yourself... you don't have to take my word for it. It is what it is!
      04-06-2008, 01:35 AM   #37
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

http://www.germancarblog.com/2007/11...omparison.html
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #38
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

That comparison is all messed up. Why? Read the entire article and here is the review's final verdict... this is the direct quote from the review itself: "The Golf GTI emerges ahead of the BMW chiefly because of its price advantage..." Not because it is a better car! It just has a better price!

Now try THIS comparison. Not only is the 128i better than the GTI, but it's even better than the top-of-the line R32!!

This is a well-written comparison. You will enjoy it.

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature...agen_R32.shtml
      04-06-2008, 02:52 AM   #39
Barricade
Rep
Drives:

If you need practicality, GTI. Fun and cool, BMW.

You know I was recently at the Dallas Auto Show and the GTI seemed nicer to me inside then the Audi TT. The TT is a serious waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #40
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
The six cylinder isn't as buzzy as the GTI's four cylinder. The rear-wheel drive feels sooooooo much nicer.

I am so glad to be rid of that loud and jittery ride, too. There really is NO comparison here. Drive that GTI and check out the ride quality. Lots of fun, true, but the ride quality really sucks. You will see for yourself... you don't have to take my word for it. It is what it is!
I'll add a lil' more - I agree that the 6 in the BMW is smoother than the 4-banger in the GTi. What's not as clear is the difference if you're considering the R32. To be honest, if VW had offered the R32 with a 6-speed and as a 4-door, I probably would have taken it over the 128i. But DSG was boring, and the R32 looks wrong with 2 doors. The price was also neck-in-neck with the 128, and VW's warranty/maintenance program isn't as good.

But like TagMan said, the ride quality difference is HUGE. Truly - again, try to drive the cars the same day. My experience was that the GTi handled very well for a FWD car, but the ride was always a little harsh (like it already had aftermarket springs); the BMW was more comfy and smooth, and yet it was able to plow through corners faster and more securely than the GTi. The BMW was like a jack-of-all-trades.

Really, get out there and drive the cars and report back here.

If I had paid attention to everyone's posts around here, I'd have gotten a 135i, but I'm happy with my decision on the 128i. Definitely the right move for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #41
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The R32 is a much funner ride than the 128 and you can't even compare BMW's auto to VW's DSG. not to mention that the R32 has 4-motion and you can't beat the vr6 exhaust note.

I have to admit in pictures the 1er interior looks great but it does not look as good in person and feels cheap. Not knocking the car I might still buy one (135i) due to the engine/drive train.

GTI FSI 2.0T: for under 3K you can toss H&R springs, Software (GIAC or APR), Downpipe and CAI and be able to put down close to 250 HP / 280 ib tq to the wheels (the wheels yes) on the stock K03 Turbo.

just the other day a guy ran 13.539@100.02 - 1/4 mile with just a chip in the GTI.

what does 3K do for 128 in terms of power? .... we all know the answer...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #42
rhayder
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Everyone at the BMW dealership laughed at me when i told them my other choice is... THE GTI.
Hmmm.. they might be laughing too soon. The GTI looks damn nice and the 135i is not the perfect vehicle and not for everyone. I am currently shopping for a vehicle and here are the vehicles I am currently considering.

VW R32
Mustang GT
Dodge SRT-4
BMW 135i

Some might be suprised people cross shopping this list?

Well my ultimate vehicle would have 4 seats, RWD, Manual, good aftermarket, and inexpensive to modify, and DIY Tuning.

My main concern with the 135i is the high cost of parts and mods... especially the block, pistons, rods, etc... if I want to start experimenting. I think it is a great platform ..but if I buy it I might have to just drive it stock and find another vehicle to play with.

The 135i is a great car it just might not be the best vehicle for the enthusiast in me. I might have to buy an older used vehicle for that. Maybe a used Mustang or SRT-4 ? SRT-4 would be perfect if it was rwd.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #43
BMWfan
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 125i Coupe (M Sport)

BMW 128i (manual): 0-60mph - 6.1sec
BMW 125i (manual) 0-60mph - 6.4sec
VW GTI (Manual): 0-60mph - 7.2 (6.9 for the crappy DSG box, which breaks a lot)

BMW: RWD
VW: FWD (Oh look...torque steer! fun.)

BMW: Stylish and quality interior.
VW: Cheap plastic interior.

BMW: Sedan
VW: Hatchback (Real men shouldn't drive hatches)

Furthermore, VW's have always had a reputation for building underpowered engines compared to their rivals. VW and Audi can't keep up and have to turbocharge EVERYTHING they make...unlike BMW who are still very competitive with responsive n/a engines.

So the 128i beats the GTi in every department.
I'm taking delivery of my "puny" little 218hp 125i coupe next week, and the first thing I plan to do is put a GTi in it's place. Behind me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #44
To Sink Or Swim
Bringin the VAG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect128 View Post
To Sink or Swim - Trust your instincts and experience and don't let forum groupthink or magazine numbers lead you around by the nose. Drive them both several times and imagine them in your use model. Are you going to use it as a daily driver or race it? How long are you going to keep it? What will give you pride of ownership day in and day out?

Don't be swayed by the stuck up people who are appalled by what other cars you would consider. You should have seen the look on the BMW dealer's face when I said I was also considering American muscle cars!

Ultimately I trusted my judgement after doing research and driving several 1 series coupes. My new 128i with sport package arrives in May. I was won over by the look, RWD, smooth turbine-like inline six, balance, and overall pride of ownership of the BMW heritage. It is a great fit for my needs as a fun daily driver that will bring a smile to my face for many years without being too fussy, costly , or temperamental to live with.

well it is going to be my daily driver. I am going to keep it for at least 3 years. I know vw isnt the best with service, but my dad had a bmw and they gave them the worst service id ever seen. But i like to have fun in the car, Im not a track person but. You know if some ricer pulls up to me. I need to show him why germans rule. Like I plan on modding whichever one i get heavily in the future. But I know its going to be a lot harder to mod a 128i over a gti. I love the look and everything about the gti. Same with the 128i. but... this decision is killing me. I was dissapointed though on the power end of the 128i when i test drove it it is definatly lacking tq. and i felt like all the hp was missing til 5k rpm.
Appreciate 0