BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Runflats in Snow*

< *The purpose of this thread is to advise people of the hazards of using Summer tires in the winter months. The concept of swapping tires may be new to some. >

As stated...Obviously you never want to drive any car with summer tires in the snow, but has anyone gotten surprised with a early snow fall? How terrifying was the ride?
      11-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
wtiger127
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i VERT A/W

I will let you know tomorrow as we receive a snow night and all day Thursday in the city of Toronto, Ontario. Projection is upto 5 to 8 cm overnight tonight. I have my snows, however, couldn't get to install them yet.

Recommended Reading
08/08/08 Summer (In-Service-start)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14493)

Winter Shoes -AW (Vert)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19947)

The Winter 128i/135iCAB for Canadians
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19738)

1000+ Miles on new winters across the US
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19948)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Why don't you take a quick drive east to Indiana and find out for yourself!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Heck no. I think they are getting nailed again this week.
      11-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
never
driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: not a 135 anymore

I've driven the summer tires through snow/ice several times. It's not that bad...just take it easy accelerating and around corners. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

That being said...I just put my winter wheels and tires on last night (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19431) which coincided with new snow and ice last night/this morning. They are significantly better.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Heck no. I think they are getting nailed again this week.
I HATE YOU BOTH!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

not summer tires but i got a snow scare when i had my old audi S4 with a set of BFG kdw2s on. it snowed when i was at the bar and i had to drive 20 miles back home on highway. even with quattro, FORGET IT. i was crawling down the highway at about 15-20 mph and i even lost control but corrected it one time. after all was said and done i left the bar at 230 and got home at 330. a trip that usually takes me 20 minutes. i got so freaked out from all the cars whizzing by me i had to keep my hazards on and proceed to drive on the side of the road. it was bad. tires are what's keeping you attached to the road. don't eff around with your tire choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

we got about a half an inch last night, and i didn't feel like dusting off the truck again so i just drove the1 out of the garage and down the road. it wasn't too bad... i kept it easy, and to test i drove a little harder and found the breaking point where the rear started to slip but traction control kept it in line.

my plan is to drive the1 throughout the winter as long as the roads are clear. not sure how great an idea that is, but until i notice a huge drop in traction i dont think i can leave her in the garage for 4 months...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
corpsman
130 kmh, yeah right.
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Montego,6MT,

That's why I'm keeping my 91 320i with all season radials.
      11-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
I HATE YOU BOTH!

How bad has it been by you?
      11-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frimmelnojerz View Post
not summer tires but i got a snow scare when i had my old audi S4 with a set of BFG kdw2s on. it snowed when i was at the bar and i had to drive 20 miles back home on highway. even with quattro, FORGET IT. i was crawling down the highway at about 15-20 mph and i even lost control but corrected it one time. after all was said and done i left the bar at 230 and got home at 330. a trip that usually takes me 20 minutes. i got so freaked out from all the cars whizzing by me i had to keep my hazards on and proceed to drive on the side of the road. it was bad. tires are what's keeping you attached to the road. don't eff around with your tire choice.
I had a scare like that about 9 years ago. Went out to dinner with my M roadstar, came out and there was 3" of snow on ground. WTF, snow was not in the forecast. It was a nail biter the entire ride home. I had Michelin Pilot Sports on the car.
      11-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

It's bad...and I fully support the OPs objective here. However, as many have stated, it's not impossible, conditions permitting, but certainly avoid whenever possible.

For now, I plan on running the summers, snow here is minimal, and I can Metro when it's in the forecast. For that surprise dusting, as long as roads are relatively flat you'll be ok, but don't expect to be able to avoid anyone else.

I took out an E90 330xi with summer 18s. Had it on unplowed winding, hilly, wooded roads. It was a slippery ride, x-drive kept things straight, but stopping power was nearly absent. The first section of road was a steep downhill that came to a "T" at the bottom with dense forest beyond the intersection. The Downhill Decent system couldn't hold the car back as I gradually picked up speed approaching the intersection. The road banked uphill both right and left, there was no way I could make the turn at that speed, it was a guaranteed oversteer into the woods. As I approached the intersection, with no one coming either way, I threw it into 2nd and gassed it hard right, counting on x-drive sending power to the front, praying the front tires would grip.

Once I knew what I was dealing with, I continued my trip, enjoying the powerslides on every corner. X-Drive was the only reason I pulled it off. There's no way I could have done that with RWD.

That said, my Dad drove his E36 M3 through winter, commuting from West Chester, PA to South Jersey.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I got caught by a surprise snowfall a few years back in the Western MD mountains in my Z3, and was able to hole up in a motel before the snow started sticking. The next day, with 3" in the parking lot, the Z3 would not move forward at all on it's 16" summer tires. I wound up backing up 50 feet or so to get to the plowed road.

A reminder that the issue isn't run-flats, it's summer vs. winter tires.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #14
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
How bad has it been by you?
Honestly, it's just been wet and cold with random flurries, and the roads freeze up over night. Nothing I felt like driving the 1 in.

Today's the first day I've been back in the car since last Thursday, and even with dry roads the tire compound just isn't suitable for freezing/below freezing temperatures. Maybe that's why we have that damn freeze warning indicator
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I had a scare like that about 9 years ago. Went out to dinner with my M roadstar, came out and there was 3" of snow on ground. WTF, snow was not in the forecast. It was a nail biter the entire ride home. I had Michelin Pilot Sports on the car.
The Michelin Pilot Sports on my E36 M3 were a handfull in the rain much less snow.
      11-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
rocketman99
Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '24 X1 M35

???

I had no trouble driving a '99 Vette with high performance summer run flats and a sport suspension in the snow in Colorado way back when. I can't imagine it would be any worse driving a 135 with the sport package. Am I missing something? Drive for the conditions...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #17
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

If I keep them on it just gives me a better reason to work from home this winter...

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #18
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

The runflats are downright dangerous in the snow.

I ordered a set of winter tires last Sunday and was told they would be in by the weekend. Tuesday morning I found out I had to go to Ann Arbor and stay until the day before Thanksgiving. I needed to bring my car, because I'm going to VA for the holidays, and it didn't make much sense to fly back to Evansville on Wednesday and then drive for 8 hours when I could just drive straight from here and be there in about the same time.

The tires didn't come in as promised, and by the time I found out it was too late to make other arrangements, so I'm in Michigan on a set of worn out runflats. I've been going in to work late in the morning to give the roads time to clear, but I honestly thought I was going to get stuck on flat ground in the hotel parking lot yesterday morning.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #19
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The runflats are downright dangerous in the snow.
I don't think that runflats are the problem though. It's because you have summer tires in winter conditions. Runflats simply have stiffer side walls to prevent them from getting deflated and thus are really not that much different from non-RFT. With that being said, glad you've been able to get around.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

My Adidas have the same tread as my F1 GS-D3s. I once nearly killed myself in a couple inches of snow just trying to walk to the garage...

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #21
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
I don't think that runflats are the problem though. It's because you have summer tires in winter conditions. Runflats simply have stiffer side walls to prevent them from getting deflated and thus are really not that much different from non-RFT. With that being said, glad you've been able to get around.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say runflats in general are dangerous, just the ones that come stock on the 135i. I agree that it's because they're summer tires, not because they're runflats.

I had summer tires on my GTO last year and it was equally as bad, I just didn't have to drive it anywhere, especially not to Michigan.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #22
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Quote:
< *The purpose of this thread is to advise people of the hazards of using Summer tires in the winter months. The concept of swapping tires may be new to some. >

As stated...Obviously you never want to drive any car with summer tires in the snow, but has anyone gotten surprised with a early snow fall? How terrifying was the ride?
not in this car, but in my STI with RE070's

with <600 miles on them and it was terrifiying. it took me 50+ yards to stop from 20mph. the snow was barely even sticking to the road and i was deffinately getting honked at. the worst part was if i tapped the brakes to hard, they would lock, but were so slippery they wouldnt start rolling again, so ABS was defeated even if i lifted off the pedal (that was my first car with ABS so i typically pump brakes when i feel them slip). my car was only 10 hours old when this happened, so its possible it was worse because the tires weren't broken in

previously in my Tiburon GT with Micheline Pilot sports

i drove in the snow and it wasn't too bad, had to be very soft on the accellerator and you basically had to coast through turning.

i'm not messing around with the 1er though. i've got some Blizzak LM-22 RFT's on right now but havnt driven in any crazy conditions yet
Appreciate 0