E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Has anyone got a ticket for not having front plate yet?

08-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #23
RedFireBeemer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Red 330i

If I may chime in on this post. For those of you who know how to read between the lines, you'll know where I'm getting this information from. I share the same opinion with my fellow law enforcement officers which I work with on a daily basis that as long as your not driving around like an "idiot", then it's no big deal to have tinted windows or a lack of a front plate. It's just a fix it ticket and unless your really doing something that you shouldn't be doing, then it's a minor infraction thats not worth rousting the average citizen for who's driving in a responsible manner. Hope this helped....
Premium Package
Steptronic
Xenon Lights
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 10:16 PM   #24
connermd
What did I miss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Thanks RedFireBeemer for the subtle message

No front plate for me. Everyone I've asked who doesn't have one has never been ticketed for it when stopped.

If you have holes check out: http://www.bumperplugs.com
      08-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #25
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfluid
BTW, I won't hang the front plate until I get my first ticket. Fair enough?
I'm with you drfluid, I just got my plates today and just can't bring myself to install the front one. I don't know about San Diego but LAPD doesn't seem to care about front plates or tint unless they pull you over for something else. However, if you park on the street your screwed, parking enforcement officers are issuing fix it tickets left and right down here for front plates. A couple of my friends also got tint tickets but only from CHP so if you see one of them roll your windows down.
      08-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #26
DEbmw
Rep
Drives: 330i Titanium

I recently moved to slower lower Delaware. State law does not require the use of a front plate. I was thrilled when I received only the rear plate from the DMV.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 02:54 AM   #27
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

Finally, I got tickets for no front plate when I got stopped for speeding.

I was driving at 85 in 65 mph highway.

How much the bail amount will be for both speeding and front plate? Any idea?
I don't think I would 'fix' the front plate.
      02-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #28
b311lee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .::330i zsp::.

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
well my CA informed me that indeed it is law in Ohio to have a front plate, but since i said i dont like it, no front plate installed! yay
      02-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #29
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfluid
Hi all
I know there were threads how the front plate 'harm' the beauty of E90 here.

I actually wonder how many of you guys actually received any ticket for not having the front license plate.

I got the plates a couple of weeks ago, but only attached the rear plate. I live in the East Bay(as in SF Bay area) and so far so good.
I heard in SF, police would issue tickets for sure, but in the other side of the bay it doesn't seem so.

I'm moving to San Diego next month and any information would help. Thanks.
BTW, I won't hang the front plate until I get my first ticket. Fair enough?
talk to magmd.
      02-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #30
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

i'm in columbus ohio and yeah i've got a ticket for not havin the front plate a few days after i just got my car....a meter maid gave me the ticket too fuck! i dont see the reason for 2plates, isnt one enough? to be safe i suggest u park ur car with the rear facing the road
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #31
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

When I picked up my e90 the dealer said by law I don't have to put ANY plates on the car for 1 year as long as I have the sticker on the front window. He told me to keep the car clean and looking new and I probably never need a plate since it is a 2 year lease. He told me that many people have returned leases still with no plates!!

I had an RSX before the e90 and was stopped once after getting it because I was taking a corner too fast. The officer was nice and didnt give a ticket but casually mentioned I should get a front plate too.

I really believe that the cops are using more common sense these days. As owners of these expensive cars we pay lots of tax $$ which is their salary and I think they realize that.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #32
kekoa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFireBeemer
If I may chime in on this post. For those of you who know how to read between the lines, you'll know where I'm getting this information from. I share the same opinion with my fellow law enforcement officers which I work with on a daily basis that as long as your not driving around like an "idiot", then it's no big deal to have tinted windows or a lack of a front plate. It's just a fix it ticket and unless your really doing something that you shouldn't be doing, then it's a minor infraction thats not worth rousting the average citizen for who's driving in a responsible manner. Hope this helped....
Wow, what is up with your avatar. Those are some droopy boobs there.

Well, I've had so many plate tickets that I've stopped counting. I can't beleive meter maids are able to give tix too now. that sux. I don't care, I'll pay the $10 all day long. I hate front plates and rear ones too for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #33
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

Started out without the front plate. Was in Chicago one day w/ my wife's car and I saw a metermaid go look at the back of a car with no front plate; turned out it was from out of state. That scared me into putting on my front plate, since I go into the city enough and park on the street. Don't need the hassle or expense of the silly ticket. That said, I do see tons of (luxury cars mostly) without the front plates. Too bad they can't make a heavy duty sticker plate that wouldn't look as bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #34
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ok...here is my scoop.

1. got pulled over in a police trap...no front plate...fix it ticket. Not sure how much it will cost me...since I went on line and got an extension for it, and I am currently in denial about having to get it done.

2. parked at a meter....ticket for no valid CA front plate. $40...ooouch. This is going to add up quickly.

I think I will likely conform...and get her drilled. If it were just the occasional $10 parking ticket...I would say the heck with it. But $40 a pop...and then getting pulled over for it...I don't know if it will be worth it anymore. Seems like I am just asking for them to get me for my tint as well
      02-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #35
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
When I had my hondas, I got pulled over just about every other day.
Probably got 3~5 tickets for no front plate, several warnings.

With the BMW, no. Lots of luxury cars do not have front plate, I think cops
don't really care about luxury rides not having one. They do care about ricers not putting one on. Cops here are picky as hell too.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #36
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

my SA told me that when she got a ticket for no front plate on her 5 series, she just put some duct tape or something on it to hold the plate there temporarily (to satisfy the fix-it ticket) and then took it off again. Wonder if that actually works...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #37
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian32e
my SA told me that when she got a ticket for no front plate on her 5 series, she just put some duct tape or something on it to hold the plate there temporarily (to satisfy the fix-it ticket) and then took it off again. Wonder if that actually works...
it works. Been there, done that.
but if you get busted again, you'll get a ticket again. And if judge recognizes you(like my case), he won't be too happy. You better have a GOOD excuse(took it off to get something fixed in the front worked for me)

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #38
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

West Virginia > Virginia in this aspect.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #39
2006bmw
First Class Privates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFireBeemer
I wish all law enforcement officers agreed with you. I got pulled over by the CHP for tint while sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The CHiP told me specifically he pulled me over for tint on the front windows, and it's not even dark tint (35%). I guess he was bored.

While we're on the subject, has anyone come up with a good method for putting the front license plate on the car temporarily for "emergencies"? If you go to LAX without a front plate, you're guaranteed an immediate ticket. Parking at meters is also likely to result in a ticket. Anyone know of two-sided tape that's secure but comes off easily?
      02-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #40
2006bmw
First Class Privates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbolo
When I picked up my e90 the dealer said by law I don't have to put ANY plates on the car for 1 year as long as I have the sticker on the front window. He told me to keep the car clean and looking new and I probably never need a plate since it is a 2 year lease. He told me that many people have returned leases still with no plates!!
Your dealer's an idiot. It says right on the sticker that it's only good for 60 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbolo
I really believe that the cops are using more common sense these days. As owners of these expensive cars we pay lots of tax $$ which is their salary and I think they realize that.
No doubt. They're all real contemplative types. That's why they're cops.
      02-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #41
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

my gf lives in sf, so i'll probably put on my front plate just to avoid being hassled.

at one point on my old car, i didn't have a front plate. got a ticket from an sf meter maid for expired meter, but didn't get a no front plate ticket.

palo alto's meter maids will also give out no front plate tickets.
      02-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #42
DEAN325i
LTBMW
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW e92 M3

Garage List
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
i moved to california a couple of months ago, but i still have my Washington plates. Do you think the cops in LA will still ticket me? also, i have 15% tint all around. Ill just say "im on vacation" if they ever pull me over.
      02-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #43
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006bmw
Your dealer's an idiot. It says right on the sticker that it's only good for 60 days.
There was nothing in it for them to tell me that. I really doubt that if your car looks brand new and you are not breaking any laws that the cops will pull you over to make sure your car is new!! Has anyone here heard of such a thing?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #44
magamaga
-
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Have had the E90 since June without the front plate and haven't been pulled over but I have a good radar detector too. I haven't had a ticket in 3 years (*knock on wood*).
325i Sparkling Graphite/Navigation/Steptronic/HeatedSeats/ DRL Angel Eyes/Metal Pedals/Tail Pipe Tips/Rear BMW Spoiler/BMWAlarm/LoJack/BlackLineTailLights/Hardwired BeltronicsProfessionalRX65RadarDetector/Rear FogLights/Debadged/LUX 5.0/ACS Roof Spoiler
Appreciate 0