BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Herzogracing
Rep
Drives: 135i

oil leak near water pump.. pics

I noticed a small amount of oil in my garage so I took off the plastic cover under the car. I then sprayed some brake clean to get rid of the oil that had accumulated.

I took it for a drive to see where exactly it was coming from and looks like its right above the electric water pump.

Anyone know whats leaking?

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

it is the dip stick... WAIT NO we dont have those uuuuggggg. On a serous note though it is likely one of two things.

1. it is not uncommon for the valve cover gasket to crack and leak
2. i have also heard where the oil filter resevouir gasket leaks and need to be replaced.

I would start around the oil filter and see if you can trace the oil leaking down from there. That is however, on the opposite side of the vehicle from you water pump so it might not be that which is why i said to have the valve cover gasket looked at.

Have you pulled the engine cover off under the hood? I think it just pops off. That would be my first thought to do, that way you can start shining lights all over the place down the front of the engine. You will find it but it might take a bit of searching. just use a really bright light so that there are minimal shadows.
      05-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Pkaia524
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i 6MT coupe

Not that I can tell you where it is, but i can tell you the previous advice is probably wrong. If I remember correctly, the WP is on the passenger side of the motor, while the oil filter is on the driver's side. Plus, you can't take the engine cover off without removing the cowling, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkaia524 View Post
Not that I can tell you where it is, but i can tell you the previous advice is probably wrong. If I remember correctly, the WP is on the passenger side of the motor, while the oil filter is on the driver's side. Plus, you can't take the engine cover off without removing the cowling, etc.
As a BMW tech, I can tell you that your assumption is wrong. When the oil filter housing gasket leaks oil, it typically travels down and across the engine towards the passenger's side. 3 most common N54 oil leaks:

1. Valve cover gasket
2. Oil filter housing
3. Oil pan

Last edited by Silenus; 05-13-2014 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Techs have good grammar, too.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
A_Squared
Banned
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkaia524 View Post
As a BMW tech, I can tell you that you're assumption is wrong. When the oil filter housing gasket leaks oil, it typically travels down and across the engine towards the passenger's side. 3 most common N54 oil leaks:

1. Valve cover gasket
2. Oil filter housing
3. Oil pan
+1. I had the same issue. My OFHG was leaking and came towards the passenger side. Changed it, washed the motor, and all was good.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
As a BMW tech, I can tell you that you're assumption is wrong. When the oil filter housing gasket leaks oil, it typically travels down and across the engine towards the passenger's side. 3 most common N54 oil leaks:

1. Valve cover gasket
2. Oil filter housing
3. Oil pan
+1.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
GeneseeS4
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I have similar oil showing plus a drip off an actuator. I don't see any evidence of a valve cover leak, I can see the valve cover so that leaves the oil filter housing gasket. Again I see no evidence of a leak around the oil filter housing. Is there anyway to positively ID the leak is coming from the oil filter housing gasket? I recently had the water pump replaced. Is it possible they disturbed the oil lines to the turbo and maybe they are just loose or cracked?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

Mileage? Year? yes, the OFHG(S) there are two and there are two oil cooler O rings that should be changed out also. When you smell oil out of your vents, it will be time to change the valve cover gasket, these are all inevitable and cannot be avoided, one of the few truisms in 135i culture...depending on age and mileage...older indicates gasket life and mileage shows use and abuse lol.

and yes turbo oil lines may be the issue too...and likely by the sound of it...
Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings

Last edited by Mr Gasser; 05-31-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #9
GeneseeS4
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Car is 2012. April 25, 2019 when dealer found problem 65,122 miles, water pump and thermostat were replaced October 1, 2018 miles at time 62,528. When water pump was replaced no indication of oil leaks. So it seems pretty obvious water pump replacement somehow damaged turbo oil lines.

Is there anyway to actually observe/see an OFHG oil leak, or is it all circumstantial?

Does anybody know how to access/see turbo oil lines? Is there a DIY on it? Maybe remove all the air tubing and access from top?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneseeS4 View Post
Car is 2012. April 25, 2019 when dealer found problem 65,122 miles, water pump and thermostat were replaced October 1, 2018 miles at time 62,528. When water pump was replaced no indication of oil leaks. So it seems pretty obvious water pump replacement somehow damaged turbo oil lines.

Is there anyway to actually observe/see an OFHG oil leak, or is it all circumstantial?

Does anybody know how to access/see turbo oil lines? Is there a DIY on it? Maybe remove all the air tubing and access from top?

Thanks!
Good luck! I brought my fairly clean 128i to the dealer on Colorado for the airbag recall last year. They washed and vacuumed the car. There is a pinky nail sized piece of bumper missing. It wasn't missing a few days earlier when I washed the car. Knew I would get nowhere, living with it.
      06-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #11
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

Try to jack it up and try to clean the oily area with brake cleaner or may even spray wash, but please disconnect the battery so no electronics get fried and when dry...start it up and see where it is leaking...it should be pretty obvious...
Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings
Appreciate 0