BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

Akra Slip on Exhaust and wireless kit question

I can't seem to get a straight answer. I think I know the answer but here it goes.

I want to get the akra slip on before they are impossible to get. They are not cheap and I just found out today that I have to buy the tail pipes separately. Painful.

My car comes out on weekends only and I want to have the exhaust fully open. That is, no valves, or if there is a valve it is always to remain open. Looking at the schematic on the akra website I am not clear if this requires the wireless kit to open a valve. Renntech tells me there is no valve on the slip on (which makes sense looking at the wireless kit components) and yet in the instruction manual there appears to be a closed end connecting pipe onto the muffler inlet pipe (page 34 of 56 (Figure 27) on the instruction manual from akrapovic website).

https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.ne...cb43787fd4.pdf

Looking for some help here. I know many of you have the akra exhaust/evolution/downpipe. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

I was under the impression, that the slip on exhaust had the outer pipes closed off, however you can take out the welded blanking plate, to keep it fully open as you want.

The wireless kit simply replace that section, so the valve can control the flap opening.

Check this thread and in particular post #23
      04-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
I was under the impression, that the slip on exhaust had the outer pipes closed off, however you can take out the welded blanking plate, to keep it fully open as you want.

The wireless kit simply replace that section, so the valve can control the flap opening.

Check this thread and in particular post #23
That's what I thought too which is what I don't like about it. If you don't want it fully open, you are passing everything through two inner pipes only. Seems like a downgrade from stock? I'm also waiting for the Akra expert to chime in!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

It's probably easier for them to make the same backbox config for slip on or full evo models, helps keeps the costs down, as customers can opt to have the wireless kit or not.
      04-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep

Tinsta I agree with you.

Thanks guys for chiming in. After spending a lot of time looking at diagrams I think, just you guys stated, I can take out the restriction plate if I like and essentially have one of the two pipes act as a straight pipe.

I am a little pissed with how akra nickel and dimes you. Between the slip on, wireless kit, and tailpipes we are talking close to 5k. My wife it going to be pissed.

I am going to possibly get the slip on. Install it with the restricter plate and drive it around to see how the sounds is. Then just remove the connecting pipe and drive around. That will give me a really good idea how loud it sounds had I removed the restricter plate. Hope fully I don't melt anything in the process. I can always still get the wireless kit in the future and substitute the valve pipe for the connector pipe.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      04-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
sl00se
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M / BSM 1M / AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
I am going to possibly get the slip on. Install it with the restricter plate and drive it around to see how the sounds is. Then just remove the connecting pipe and drive around. That will give me a really good idea how loud it sounds had I removed the restricter plate. Hope fully I don't melt anything in the process. I can always still get the wireless kit in the future and substitute the valve pipe for the connector pipe.
I think this is the right way to go... I bought my set-up with the wireless kit and after putting some miles on it I essentially only run it in the open mode. So essentially I paid for the wireless kit (and the install costs) for something I never use. (other than to immediately hit the button to open the valve upon staring the car). If you think it is too loud to run open all the time then you can buy and install the wireless kit later.

But that's just me (and I have the MadDad midpipe).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Personal opinion, cattless DPs, n55 mid section, and the slip on w/o the welded in restrictive plate is not too loud, only when I added the Maddad mid pipe did I find myself needing to close the valve at times

I have a contact in the UK that seems to have great pricing on Akra. I'm actually ordering the mid pipe from them shortly. PM if want there info
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you sl00se for you insight. I think I am going to hold off on the wireless kit and see how loud it is. 1@done I also appreciate your input. I have the maddad midpipe which I love so we will see how loud it is without the restrictor plate. The car doesn't come out much. Its not my DD.
sl00e I see you are in tampa. I'm in stuart/PSL. There is only one other 1m around here. Seems the cops leave us alone with regard to sound. God knows emission. I don't know about tampa but around here the amount of a-holes running tuned diesel trucks with no cats is nuts. Black smoke everywhere. Im no tree hugger but come on man.... I also am also catless so I will see how loud it is. Ill report back when I do it because I don't think anyone is running wagner DP and maddad midpipe combo.

BTW I was contacted by a forum member from belgium for the sale of their akra. If this isn't the guy feel free to send me a pm. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
Feco
Private
Rep
Drives: 12' 1 Series M Coupé

Garage List
2012 1M  [10.00]
2014 Porsche 911 Ca ...  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 911 Turbo  [10.00]
1993 E36 M3  [10.00]
1999 E39 M5  [9.00]
2005 E46 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW F10 535i  [0.00]
That's it.. I have the full akrapovic setting ( + downpipes ) with NO wireless kit. I removed the "restrictor plate" and it sounds awesome all the time..

No drone at any RPM and the cars sound like an 80's formula 1 on high speeds... ahahaha

I can't tell my impressions about the sound with the restrictor... but the previous owner said it sound just like de OEM, but a little bit more loud.

Porsche 911 Turbo (997.1) GT Silver - Fabspeed Maxflo, Cobb Custom Tune, Spec Clutch 2+, HR Sway Bars + Spring
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #10
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Thank you sl00se for you insight. I think I am going to hold off on the wireless kit and see how loud it is. 1@done I also appreciate your input. I have the maddad midpipe which I love so we will see how loud it is without the restrictor plate. The car doesn't come out much. Its not my DD.
sl00e I see you are in tampa. I'm in stuart/PSL. There is only one other 1m around here. Seems the cops leave us alone with regard to sound. God knows emission. I don't know about tampa but around here the amount of a-holes running tuned diesel trucks with no cats is nuts. Black smoke everywhere. Im no tree hugger but come on man.... I also am also catless so I will see how loud it is. Ill report back when I do it because I don't think anyone is running wagner DP and maddad midpipe combo.

BTW I was contacted by a forum member from belgium for the sale of their akra. If this isn't the guy feel free to send me a pm. Thanks.

Ha no issues w/ the law over here, however we have a share of those diesels in Tampa. The MD pipes are nice, they are loud fully straight though and sound great at idle too

The person I have dealt with is Lee Turley, Parts Manager at Litchfield Motors
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0